Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Not sure what you mean by that. I dont see most people doing that. I see most people holding it like this, or very similar to this. I hold it this way but have my pinky underneath it a lot of times and ive never hit the back button on accident.

----------

I never had that issue either. I guess its just where or how you grab the phone. I love the capacitive buttons and would prefer they get rid of the physical home button though i dont have any issues with the home button either, i just think it looks better without it.
I wouldnt like having buttons that you have to push hard to get them to work. That would irritate me.

This is held at the bottom, move you thumb over to tab something on the screen and it brushes the back button or home button - very annoying. Happened all the time when I had GS2 and also on my Windows phone (Lumia 820) - L820 is a great phone just the sensitive buttons annoy me so much.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
This is held at the bottom, move you thumb over to tab something on the screen and it brushes the back button or home button - very annoying. Happened all the time when I had GS2 and also on my Windows phone (Lumia 820) - L820 is a great phone just the sensitive buttons annoy me so much.

Hmm, ive never had it happen to me and messing with it now to make it happen, it is hard to get it to do that. And the home button? I dont see how your hitting that at all. I slide the phone even more on my fingers(if you know what i mean) when im using my thumb to give it more space.

IDK, im not even trying to be aware of the back button, its just the way i use it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
True but what I find "scary" is all those android users itching to go back to apple once they "fix" iOS....as in there is no inherent qualities in android?

I have used it and I would say the only lacking thing is a solid phone that completely married the OS, with a very optimized software. Nexus doesn't match that 100% still.

I have always maintained that google should get serious with their nexus line. They have done that with the tablets, why not the phone?

Now on topic, I would like to add that iCloud for a non apple ecosystem person is not as great to use and I wish it was more compatible.

Agreed on both counts. On the topic of iCloud a married OS though, I think Google's cloud services far surpass that of Apple's and for good reason. What I'd like to see on the iOS end is more support for 3rd parties that can get cloud computing right.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Agreed on both counts. On the topic of iCloud a married OS though, I think Google's cloud services far surpass that of Apple's and for good reason. What I'd like to see on the iOS end is more support for 3rd parties that can get cloud computing right.

Given the fact that Google's cloud services dont inherently include a full backup feature kinda kills the whole "Google's cloud > iCloud" argument for me....

I use both and like both for different reasons: Google's for the openness and Apple's for the simplicity of use....

Ha, same reasons I like each OS.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Google's cloud isn't that impressive. They are a web centric company but don't confuse that with more ambitious cloud services from the likes of AWS or even Microsoft's Azure.

Web != Cloud by most definitions.

I'm looking for the final bugaboos of iCloud to be stabilized in iOS 7.

1. Documents in the Cloud
2. A solid, secure and easy way to share data from iCloud.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Hmm, ive never had it happen to me and messing with it now to make it happen, it is hard to get it to do that. And the home button? I dont see how your hitting that at all. I slide the phone even more on my fingers(if you know what i mean) when im using my thumb to give it more space.

IDK, im not even trying to be aware of the back button, its just the way i use it.

I don't know - I have quite small hands so maybe it's the extra stretch which causes me to hit the buttons - on my Windows phone I also hit the search button a lot - which isn't a major issue as I can just press the back button to go back to where I was.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I think it should crash more and have a robot icon on bootup instead of the apple logo :rolleyes:

app-crashes1.png

Crash more? No thanks, thats an iOS attribute I don't want. Also what would I want to go back to iOS? Allow me to change the default apps, allow me access to the file system, allow 3rd party apps deeper integration to I can share with them etc. Also let me download files from the web browser.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Crash more? No thanks, thats an iOS attribute I don't want.

Ok so I deleted my previous comment because I checked out their website....

According to their infographic, iOS 6 has a 1.15% crash rate versus JellyBean's 1.5% crash rate.....

Point being both yield app crashes, and its not a big deal on either....

Last edited:

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Lol....where does the data behind this come from? Given users aren't required to send any type of crash reports/data, I can't see how this could be all that accurate....

But who knows? I know I've had my share of app crashes on both platforms.

EDIT: Checked out their website - so is this something you test your self, with the app installed on both types of devices? Or are users of their apps sending crash data to them and you can see the compilation? Looks interesting.

Very suspicious data, I agree! - plus comparing it from 2011 - Android was far more crashey in 2011 and so was iOS (but definitely not as much) - I have had about 3 crashes on my iPhone 5 since September - had about 6 on my WP8 phone since December - and I know of at least 5 on my friends GS3 in the last few months. - I know this proves nothing I know when I had my GS2 it crashed so often and I could never get 3G to work so ended up getting iP4 which didn't crash very often at all.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Given the fact that Google's cloud services dont inherently include a full backup feature kinda kills the whole "Google's cloud > iCloud" argument for me....

I use both and like both for different reasons: Google's for the openness and Apple's for the simplicity of use....

Ha, same reasons I like each OS.

While I would agree, I haven't seen a full easy to use backup solution for iCloud either. One that packages all of your docs, emails, contacts, etc. into a nice zip file that can then be burned to DVD or placed on another drive.

In the end, backing up my files is something that I would leave to the service provider, like what I did when i was with Apple's iCloud.

The final straw for me was Apple inability to keep my docs, files, photos, etc. all in one service that was platform agnostic and worked well with 3rd parties . . . . I totally agree about the openness.

I can't comment on the ease of use. Google did require some setting up that I am used to, but at the same token I had to spend too much time getting Pages and other iWork docs to play nice with everything else. Something I never thought I'd be saying when I switched to iWork back in '05.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Google's cloud isn't that impressive. They are a web centric company but don't confuse that with more ambitious cloud services from the likes of AWS or even Microsoft's Azure.

Web != Cloud by most definitions.

You're forgetting App Engine and Google Compute Engine

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

It doesn't happen to me either... even on my Note 2.

When I pick up my iPad or iPhone 4S (rarely the 4S) I keep reaching for the non-existant back button.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.