Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Today is my first day with Webkit and it has blown my balls off with how awesome it is, coming from Camino G4 version, its a huge step up. It doesn't restrict you at all. It makes EVERYTHING Faster. There's no cons that I have found so far. Just wanted to share that with all of you. It's made my powerbook a hell of a lot more useful

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I agree. Webkit for Leopard is really nice and I have mine set up exactly like you do. There are also other browsers, including Roccat which the developer is a die-hard supporter of PowerPC and has determined to make his web browser compatible with PPC for a long time to come.

Then there is TenFourFox by Cameron Kaiser which is a really nice browser but can be slow at times.

Today is my first day with Webkit and it has blown my balls off with how awesome it is, coming from Camino G4 version, its a huge step up. It doesn't restrict you at all. It makes EVERYTHING Faster. There's no cons that I have found so far. Just wanted to share that with all of you. It's made my powerbook a hell of a lot more useful

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
WAIT just ran into problem which I'm sure is easily fixable. When ever I go to google images, the browser freezes and has to be restarted. lol :p

----------

I agree. Webkit for Leopard is really nice and I have mine set up exactly like you do. There are also other browsers, including Roccat which the developer is a die-hard supporter of PowerPC and has determined to make his web browser compatible with PPC for a long time to come.

Then there is TenFourFox by Cameron Kaiser which is a really nice browser but can be slow at times.

ALSO Tenfourfox was like, for me, It would start, go fast, then just stop for a while, then go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, I just love Webkit maine

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I know what you mean.. I sent Cameron a follow up email about this issue and he told me he will fix it. Seems TenFourFox has been slow lately when one starts it up.

Webkit is really nice.. but also Sunrise, Stainless, Roccat, Camino of course, Opera, SeaMonkey, and others are just as good.

PowerPC? Dead?? As Mark Twain once said: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Just wrote this out, hope everyone does all the steps in it.

In this post it shows you how to set up Webkit in a optimized way, and make it so you can view youtube videos IN THE BROWSER.

WAIT just ran into problem which I'm sure is easily fixable. When ever I go to google images, the browser freezes and has to be restarted. lol :p

----------

ALSO Tenfourfox was like, for me, It would start, go fast, then just stop for a while, then go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, I just love Webkit maine

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
If you have AdBlock running with more than a few tabs open then it will unfortunately slow down to a crawl (AdBlock is not lightweight!).

I would definately recommend checking out GlimmerBlocker, a really fast local proxy that filters out requests to ads sent from the browser. The best part is that it's universal - it'll work on anything which supports proxies (ie. most browsers)

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010

According to the Roccat facebook page, Roccat 3 comes out in 3 days time :)

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
If you have AdBlock running with more than a few tabs open then it will unfortunately slow down to a crawl (AdBlock is not lightweight!).

I would definately recommend checking out GlimmerBlocker, a really fast local proxy that filters out requests to ads sent from the browser. The best part is that it's universal - it'll work on anything which supports proxies (ie. most browsers)

^_^ I'll check it out

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'll stick with TenFourFox/Aurorafox. All the webkit browsers are cool, but none of them have the ability to be customized like I have T4Fx/Aurora.

Speedial (not in to Top Sites where Safari chooses my speedials for me), Stylish, UserAgents, AdBlockPlus, AdBlockPlus with Element Hider (block elements of a page you don't want to see), LastPass, Yoono, Switchy (Profile Switcher), Viewmarks, RefControl, NoScript, RequestPolicy, website blocking; all addons I can't addon with WebKit, Safari or the WK browsers.

Sure there are workarounds, and Safari has some equivalent plugins, but for the most part - no. And while Glimmerblocker is great, AdBlockPlus beats it hands down.

I've made some optimizations of T4Fx/Aurora and they work for me. No, it's not quite as fast but I'm willing to sacrafice a small bit of speed for having the ability to use genuine Mozilla Firefox addons.

Webkit is great, and it's fast and I use it (and most of the other browsers) for specific purposes (Stainless for instance when I do need speed for something specific). Fluid is AWESOME! And Roccat has always been cool. But it just comes down to preference and most of the time for me, it's T4Fx/Aurora.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I use 4 Browsers:

Safari
Webkit
Aurora
Fluid (Work and Facebook)

I was reading a review for Roccat, I might give it a try. Safari and Webkit are for Youtube (HTML5), Aurora for heavy stuff. May be Roccat will be the Flickr browser.... :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Roccat is cool. I like the fact that in the sea of WK browsers out there, it's the only one that has Facebook/Twitter integration.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I use 4 Browsers:

Safari
Webkit
Aurora
Fluid (Work and Facebook)

I was reading a review for Roccat, I might give it a try. Safari and Webkit are for Youtube (HTML5), Aurora for heavy stuff. May be Roccat will be the Flickr browser.... :D

You use a different web browser for different websites - I love it!
I use multiple browsers when I need to be logged in to multiple hotmail accounts etc.. I think you might be surprised about Roccat it's very capable - I use it for my heavy stuff :) - Roccat 3 is promised to be even less resource dependent and even faster (not sure how that's possible, but I'm excited - yes i'm sad)

P4w3rUsr

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
WebKit

I use WebKit too, but not as an application, I actually installed the WebKit into my Safari along with the 11.5 patch for PowerPC, and that's all I need! :)

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
You use a different web browser for different websites - I love it!
I use multiple browsers when I need to be logged in to multiple hotmail accounts etc.. I think you might be surprised about Roccat it's very capable - I use it for my heavy stuff :) - Roccat 3 is promised to be even less resource dependent and even faster (not sure how that's possible, but I'm excited - yes i'm sad)

Wow... If there was a 2.1 Ghz ibook/powerbook I would get it and install Roccat 3...

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
I'll stick with TenFourFox/Aurorafox. All the webkit browsers are cool, but none of them have the ability to be customized like I have T4Fx/Aurora.

Speedial (not in to Top Sites where Safari chooses my speedials for me), Stylish, UserAgents, AdBlockPlus, AdBlockPlus with Element Hider (block elements of a page you don't want to see), LastPass, Yoono, Switchy (Profile Switcher), Viewmarks, RefControl, NoScript, RequestPolicy, website blocking; all addons I can't addon with WebKit, Safari or the WK browsers.

Sure there are workarounds, and Safari has some equivalent plugins, but for the most part - no. And while Glimmerblocker is great, AdBlockPlus beats it hands down.

I've made some optimizations of T4Fx/Aurora and they work for me. No, it's not quite as fast but I'm willing to sacrafice a small bit of speed for having the ability to use genuine Mozilla Firefox addons.

Webkit is great, and it's fast and I use it (and most of the other browsers) for specific purposes (Stainless for instance when I do need speed for something specific). Fluid is AWESOME! And Roccat has always been cool. But it just comes down to preference and most of the time for me, it's T4Fx/Aurora.

The thing is, even though flash sucks, some websites require it. For example, Google Play Music requires flash for playback, and other websites, such as my school's, require flash for the menus. I don't know why, but they do. In Firefox 19 and on, flash 10, even pretending to be 11, is not supported, and Tobias doesn't seem willing to add it back. That, along with speed, is why I use webkit browsers, as Leopard-Webkit supports flash.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The thing is, even though flash sucks, some websites require it. For example, Google Play Music requires flash for playback, and other websites, such as my school's, require flash for the menus. I don't know why, but they do. In Firefox 19 and on, flash 10, even pretending to be 11, is not supported, and Tobias doesn't seem willing to add it back. That, along with speed, is why I use webkit browsers, as Leopard-Webkit supports flash.
I hear you. If I need Flash, I'll drop back to Camino or something else (Opera; Glimmerblocker works with Opera). But in my normal browsing I don't use Flash (if I need it in Facebook to watch a video I actually want to see, I'll just open Fluid). I usually just bounce around from Facebook to MacRumors to Google News. While at least two of those sites use Flash for video, I very rarely view video online.

I also hate that Google News get's a lot of it thumbnail images from YouTube, so I've blocked YT because it takes so damn long to load from there. Because of that I couldn't watch a YouTube video in T4Fx/Aurora without having to go and unblock it.

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I hear you. If I need Flash, I'll drop back to Camino or something else (Opera; Glimmerblocker works with Opera). But in my normal browsing I don't use Flash (if I need it in Facebook to watch a video I actually want to see, I'll just open Fluid). I usually just bounce around from Facebook to MacRumors to Google News. While at least two of those sites use Flash for video, I very rarely view video online.

I also hate that Google News get's a lot of it thumbnail images from YouTube, so I've blocked YT because it takes so damn long to load from there. Because of that I couldn't watch a YouTube video in T4Fx/Aurora without having to go and unblock it.

You like to hop around browsers for different things, you are the 1%. Most people like using 1 browser.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You like to hop around browsers for different things, you are the 1%. Most people like using 1 browser.
Well, 99% of the browsers out there do not provide everything I want. :)

Seriously though, I much prefer using one browser. But the era of one browser with the ability to provide everything I need is over. If Facebook still worked with Opera 10.10 I'd go back to that. I love Opera 10, it's fast and has all I want and most of it built in. Except for modern user agents. Which FB wants to work correctly.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011

It's quite easy to write a rule which only blocks certain images from YouTube - perhaps play around with the referrer and get it to only block if on Google News.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's quite easy to write a rule which only blocks certain images from YouTube - perhaps play around with the referrer and get it to only block if on Google News.
Thanks. I would do that if I was using Safari, or Leopard WebKit more than I do.

My apologies. I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread in to a discourse on which browser is better. All I meant was to indicate my preference (based on my needs) and why. I am not saying that T4Fx/Aurora is better, because it's not. It's just my preference.

Believe it or not, I do have Leopard Webkit and Glimmerblocker installed. As I am the 1% (LOL) I tend to try every browser I come across. WebKit is awesome and so are the rest of the WK based browsers.

To show no partiality, here is a list of what's on my two Macs. My Work G5 has quite a few more because I've been using that Mac since early 2005 and I used to visit Versiontracker several times a day.

1Ghz Mac:
Chimera.app
Firefox PowerPc.app
Fluid.app
iCab 5.0 (64+32 Bit Universal Version for MacOSX 10.5-10.7)
Minefield.app
NagaraBrowser
Navigator.app
Nightly.app
OmniWeb.app
Opera_10 Beta.app
Radon 1.5.1.app
Roccat.app
Safari.app
SeaMonkey_old.app
SeaMonkey.app
Stainless.app
Sunrise.app
TenFourFox7450_10.0.6.app
TenFourFox7450.app
WebKit.app

1.67Ghz Mac:
Aurora.app
Camino.app
Firefox.app
Flock 2.6.2.app
Fluid.app
Internet Explorer.app
Mozilla.app
Netscape.app
OmniWeb.app
Opera 10.6.app
Opera 10.61.app
Opera_10 Beta.app
Opera_10.20_6793.app
Opera_10.70_8407.app
Radon 1.5.1.app
Safari.app
SeaMonkey.app
Shiira.app
Stainless.app
Sunrise.app
TenFourFox7450.app

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Wildy, took you advice and after using GlimmerBlocker for a day, I like it alot more than adblocker, also now loading google images doesn't freeze everything! ^_^ Thanks for the recommendation I added it to the post :

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hey,

Spoke with Nathan, the developer of Roccat and he told me the next version will be more optimized for PowerPC and that he will continue to support PPC for a long time to come. To him, PPC is not a waste of resources and he is dedicated to keeping the platform alive. I urge ALL of you to give him donations so that he can keep the PPC versions alive!

Not many developers are around anymore which are die-hard PPC supporters.

Roccat 3 is promised to be even less resource dependent and even faster (not sure how that's possible, but I'm excited - yes i'm sad)[/QUOTE]

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Hey,

Spoke with Nathan, the developer of Roccat and he told me the next version will be more optimized for PowerPC and that he will continue to support PPC for a long time to come. To him, PPC is not a waste of resources and he is dedicated to keeping the platform alive. I urge ALL of you to give him donations so that he can keep the PPC versions alive!

Not many developers are around anymore which are die-hard PPC supporters.

Roccat 3 is promised to be even less resource dependent and even faster (not sure how that's possible, but I'm excited - yes i'm sad)
[/QUOTE]

I agree definitely a good cause!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.