Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I am seeing this a lot lately in posts.

I wonder if this is because a) the alternatives have failed to completely woo the users or b) the Apple allure is quite strong?

Just curious because while it seems people are "loving" WP, android, BB etc, they are itching to get back to iOS for some reason.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I am seeing this a lot lately in posts.

I wonder if this is because a) the alternatives have failed to completely woo the users or b) the Apple allure is quite strong?

Just curious because while it seems people are "loving" WP, android, BB etc, they are itching to get back to iOS for some reason.

No. We are rooting for Apple to once again wow us.

For me that has not happened since 2010.

Michael

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
No. We are rooting for Apple to once again wow us.

For me that has not happened since 2010.

Michael

Yeah but once they do wow, everyone is ready to leave alternates and run back to the idevices asap. Are they really not that good yet? Because the posts do tend to show people are probably making a compromise and they would love to go back for some reason.

Again just curious, because it kinda intrigues me.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
People want the life-changing high they got from the milestone computer devices - the PC, the iPod, the iPhone. It's like a drug. Everyone's an addict, so the incremental improvements to the paradigm shift will never feel as exciting.

Nothing like that is ever going to happen to a mobile phone again. You're not going to get that high from a Near Field Communications chip or a bigger screen.

Google Glass might be the next thing, some crazy new way to watch TV might be the next thing.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

Who knows, they claim that Android is the most advandced mobile OS but then say "I will switch back to apple if..."

Why would you switch back you just got done telling me how much better Android was?

Bunch of clowns on here...

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
Who knows, they claim that Android is the most advandced mobile OS but then say "I will switch back to apple if..."

Why would you switch back you just got done telling me how much better Android was?

Sometimes people will settle for a less advanced device if it can replicate most of the useful things they need. It hardly makes them clowns, instead its they who shape the mobile market, people who aren't rabidly loyal to a brand name but actually make demands on what they want before they part with their money.

When people do that, phones tend to reflect the wants of the public rather than the wants of the manufacturer.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I dont think I need to be wowed by a new technology or gizmo. However, I do need to be wowed by how I can work a device into my highly technical life to make my workday easier and more efficient. When the iPhone came out, it was one of the best mobile devices that I could use like a computer to do my work. It is still very good, but IMO it is being edged out by the larger display android devices. It is an easy thing to pop my Note 2 into a monitor with a BT KB and Mouse and it acts just like a computer, and does it with speed and panache. Hell, with the Note I dont even need a monitor.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
It's because people like to be in on the best, most advanced tech available. That hasn't been apple for some time now and Android has taken that spot.

I'd go back if Apple did a few things better (or at all) and another reason is the evo system. All paid apps are gone when out of the Apple zone.

It tempts me at times but then I remember the only thing apples latest does better than my gs3 is screen quality.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
For many, I think it's the ecosystem that they really miss. While android manufacturers have adopted larger form factors and put more bells and whistles in the software, it's the ecosystem that Apple has locked down as the best experience for syncing between devices, iOS and OSX. I know it was a primary consideration for me when I finally got a smart phone. Now when I need to pass some time, say while in the waiting room at the doctor, I read a book on my iphone that is bookmarked where I left off on my ipad mini. That's pretty cool. I'm curious to try other platforms, but I have other priorities with my money and just haven't seen anything the competition has to offer that overrides that. I really hope BB succeeds and WP8 as well. Competition is good.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No body is itching to go back. Many of the questions are "what would it take for you to consider going back?" And people make a list of what they would like to see apple do that their chosen alternatives already do. If apple were to implement said features. Then they'd consider it. That's what I'm seeing. I don't see anyone itching to go back.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Ok,
May be I didn't word it correctly.

If android is checking all your boxes, why would you go back to ios? I mean isn't android doing fine enough for you? Or do you feel that you are making a compromise?

Perhaps it is because many people here have some other apple device which they like? That does seen like a valid reason to the want to switch back. Are there any other reasons?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Ok,
May be I didn't word it correctly.

If android is checking all your boxes, why would you go back to ios? I mean isn't android doing fine enough for you? Or do you feel that you are making a compromise?

Perhaps it is because many people here have some other apple device which they like? That does seen like a valid reason to the want to switch back. Are there any other reasons?
Just because people make a list of what they want to see apple do doesn't mean they'll drop their android phones immediately. It means they'll consider apple the next time around. Keyword being consider.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Just because people make a list of what they want to see apple do doesn't mean they'll drop their android phones immediately. It means they'll consider apple the next time around. Keyword being consider.

Sure but I do see some posts like "I would switch in a heartbeat", "I would go back to an iPhone if" and there is no consideration involved. Seems if x is done, they will switch.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I would go back to apple in a heart beat if the ihpone 6 ran on key lime pie :D

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Because we're not a bunch of apple haters like many claim we are. We just want the best device and right now, Apple isn't stepping up and Android is.

Also, same can go for all the iPhone users who keep saying, "if apple doesn't so and so, I'm switching to android" even though they love their "ecosystem" and the "amazing quality" of apple devices.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Because we're not a bunch of apple haters like many claim we are. We just want the best device and right now, Apple isn't stepping up and Android is.

Also, same can go for all the iPhone users who keep saying, "if apple doesn't so and so, I'm switching to android" even though they love their "ecosystem" and the "amazing quality" of apple devices.

Lots of double standards here

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
One thing I like about iOS is a lot of the smaller devs make really fun games and other great apps usually only for iOS. I've seen some apps on Android not get updated because the dev didn't want to have to support a bunch of different devices. The most recent I can think of is the dev of Zombieville USA. In years past before I made the switch to Android I always wanted to be jailbroken for different tweaks and apps but now I don't care about that anymore and I'm ok with using a stock phone. If Apple made a 4.5"+ iPhone I would consider getting it but I would also keep an Android device and just use both. Right now I have an Android phone but I'm not really loyal to any OS. If iOS or WP8 brings something new and awesome that I would use and Android doesn't have an equivalent that I have no problem jumping back and forth between OS's.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Everyone should have no brand loyalty. I buy whatever is the best. I bought a samsung galaxy exhibit II 4g, and it was plagued with issues, and switched to an iPhone and could not be happier.

However, if Android evolves well, and iOS keeps slipping, i'll give Android another chance. Possibly as early as the middle of the S4's life cycle, if the phone proves to be a hit.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I do have a personal list of things I would like on my phone. However, I have been using Android long enough that it would take something or many things spectacular for me to switch to anything else.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I personally can't go back unless Apple opens up iOS as much, or close to open as android is. The only things holding me back from android earlier were battery and lag issues. Now I don't experience those.

I'm not knocking the iPhone at all. It's a solid device with a solid OS. The issue is, so are most of the top android phones. I'm going to choose the one with the most functionality, added with the plus of not having to wait forever for certain hardware specs.

Apple has to start picking up the pace. I'm starting to see more top of line android phones in the hands of 21 and under than iPhones. The youth losing interest is always a telling sign. If Apple doesn't pick up the pace, I'll give it 2 cycles further until we start to see major decline in iPhone sales.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Best device or best OS?

----------

People want choices. It's that simple.

The competition in the phone space is great for consumers. It's the best time to be shopping for a phone, because if you'll let yourself consider all the great choices there are, you'll find something that fits your needs more closely than ever before.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I have no ill will toward Apple, I use Apple products daily. But the iPhone stopped doing it for me, so I've spent the last several months exploring other platforms. Now that Android has grown up it's not so bad, and it has numerous features you don't find elsewhere. I am really liking WP8 as well, although it does have a couple of annoyances.

The fact is, I would go back to the iPhone, just as your title suggests I would say. Not at this moment, but if iOS opens up a little bit (really just a little is all it would take) and if the screens maybe get a little bigger (not a huge deal breaker for me, but my eyes aren't what they used to be so I've been enjoying larger screens post-iPhone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.