Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
It's the UI that's going to count... most of the picture's I've scene of hypothetical watches, have an iphone-like UI squeezed onto a watch face...pretty sure that's not how it's going to be. Just like they redesigned an new UI for mobile devices, they'll likely do it again for wearable devices.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Apple should get rights to:

iSlap - Rick James Edition
iSlap - Ike Turner Edition
iSlap - Chris Brown Edition

"All slaps will be familiar but somehow more condescending"

Last edited:

Hell0W0rld

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2010
This won't be a watch, it will be an input device for the Apple TV like the Wii-Controller, Apple will destroy the XBox and PS4.
(And any revenue for direct sales for developers...)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
LMAO - those slap bracelets were all the rage back in the late 80's!

Given how much we tore those things up I can't wait to see the damage folks do with these.

Perhaps they just add $100 to the price and make apple care + part of the package

----------

What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display.

If things like the Fuelband can have sizes so can this. Especially if it is just an add on to an idevice so it doesn't store anything in the watch. Might only need 1-2 GB for the OS

What I want to know other than the water issue is if it might be solar powered to supplement an onboard battery.

----------

Can companies just patent whatever they think of or do they need the technology to back it up?

This isn't just an idea. It is the tech they would use to implement their version. The details of that tech are trade secret so only the methodology and design are required to explain their version.

----------

Found it

youtube.com/watch?v=Aw2yiOhsFsc

Nothing in that video is like Apple's patent. If anything it is a step beyond Apple's patent. A concept for taking this tech, if it ever happens, to the next level.

----------

Exactly. Apple proving once again that it truly only emulates and rarely originates. But the fanboys will lap it up as evident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gTobCJHs

Apple pretty much copied everything to the T.

Really, cause I didn't see anything in their patent about folding up your iPad into a iphone and then into a watch. Or solar power, telling if your phone is spoiled etc

----------

Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting.

All the time. Especially parties. I rarely to never wear a watch even at work. My iPhone is fine

----------

If its apple, its innovation, if its the competitor its emulation.

smh.

You pulled out one detail from a bigger whole that shows that the two are nothing alike.

nognome

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting. Even a $99 Fossil? I don't go to nice functions, or important ones, and see anyone with a naked wrist unless they are a complete boor. Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too thought. Even my 19 y.o. nephew who previously had no use for a watch figured out you need one for frat semis, formals, etc. Some people don't wear on a daily occasion, but, are a must for special ones. That's all I'm saying.
I agree with this completely. I would be embarrassed to go into a meeting with this (rumored) watch on. A lot of people I work/have worked with wear watches to display social status. I guess it would be okay if more than just one person was wearing it, but if someone came into one of my meetings wearing this...I would think they are cheap. I find it cheap even when someone wears an LED watch, GShock, or whatever. If Apple releases one in the $800+ range (and reasons to justify that price range), I might consider taking a look at it if I like the aesthetics of it. This is just me though, and I am pretty weird.

Do either of you have any idea how you sound? Are you really judging people's "social status" by how much money they spend on a watch? It's no different than catty reality TV housewives judging each other by how much they spend on shoes and handbags.

I'd hope you would take a moment to stop and think about what you're doing, if these are the details that matter to you when presenting yourself to the outside world.

scho52386

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Do either of you have any idea how you sound? Are you really judging people's "social status" by how much money they spend on a watch? It's no different than catty reality TV housewives judging each other by how much they spend on shoes and handbags.

I'd hope you would take a moment to stop and think about what you're doing, if these are the details that matter to you when presenting yourself to the outside world.

Actually...yes. I don't think it's uncommon for people to judge another by the type of watch they wear. It's actually pretty normal to display your social status by your timepiece, I believe. You are also right about the reality TV comment; it is no different than reality TV, but it is how some people operate. I can't say I am not a judgemental person, and I expect to be judged (positively or negatively) by everyone I meet. I think being in a certain field of work plays a big role in this, but I could be wrong. Maybe I am just a bad person for doing it, but yeah...I do judge someone's social status by their timepiece, then their suit, then their haircut, and also by their vehicle if I get the opportunity to see it.

I took a business attire course a bit back when I was in college, and they even mentioned stuff on how to dress at interviews etc. The timepiece was the first topic they discussed, so I can't be the only one!

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting. Even a $99 Fossil? I don't go to nice functions, or important ones, and see anyone with a naked wrist unless they are a complete boor. Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too thought. Even my 19 y.o. nephew who previously had no use for a watch figured out you need one for frat semis, formals, etc. Some people don't wear on a daily occasion, but, are a must for special ones. That's all I'm saying.
I guess I'm a complete boor then. My friends and employers judge me on my accomplishments and skills. Anyone that would judge me on what wrist trinket I wear is not worth my time.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I guess I'm a complete boor then. My friends and employers judge me on my accomplishments and skills. Anyone that would judge me on what wrist trinket I wear is not worth my time.

I think a lot of it depends on the profession. For example, in the legal field, employers will screen who they want to interview based on accomplishments, skills, and qualifications. Once it is to the interview stage, it is largely based on how well you fit the firm personality... Which is based on personality, conversation skills, interests, and professional style.

This may sound childish or catty to you, but professional associations such as law firms are places where you work in close quarters with people every day. These firms want everyone to be compatible and on a generally level playing field. Wearing wingtips, a skinny tie, and a digital watch to an interview says something about what you value and how you view yourself.

I'm not saying I wholly agree (or disagree, for that matter), but it is a smart professional move to acknowledge how the field you are in operates and make your decisions based on what you know about that field.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I've seen this before

http://www.bigbrownboxblog.com.au/av-talk/sharp-presents-wrist-sized-display-prototype

Sharp3.4-inch-screen.jpg

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
The New York City crime rate just spiked up.

icrime is for real here..
i barely ever witness crimes being committed first hand (assuming we're saying mj is not a crime ; )
the last two crimes i witnessed was a lady having her iphone snatched out of her hands on a street corner then an ipad jacked from a girl sitting in the park..

both in daylight and open public areas..

this thing though.. that opens up a whole new level of perps i'd imagine..

kikima

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Richmond, VA
I want it to summon a user interface from the Cloud and beamed onto a nearby hard surface with fully interactive and customizable screens.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
It not the question of if but when. Wearable computing is the next frontier, the problem is that technology needs to get to this point first.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I watched Charlie Rose tonight and it is the first time I've seen him wear a watch, at least a thick black band. He made a point to show it over and over again on the last segment. iWatch wanna-be, or the real thing?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Completely disagree.

I have not worn a watch in over twenty years. Granted, I would not voluntarily go to a cocktail or dinner party. ;) As for business meetings, we dress in golf shirts and jeans/slacks (business casual) where I work and I am part owner of the company.

You caught me... commando. ;)

I am 47 years old and still can't tie a tie. I win.

Fair enough. Different social hierarchies have different norms. But it was asked if people still wear watches, and the answer I gave holds... yes. In my world people are expected to dress appropriate for the occasion.

Another part of the reason a watch is key, is because it's rude to pop out your phone to check the time in the company of others, and there isn't always a clock around. OTOH one can discreetly glance at a watch with a gentle arm stretch.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Well, if that's all it takes to get your willie up... :rolleyes:

Could be a cool concept, but I'd prefer to have some of this 'innovation' directed towards the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.