Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1
nickprete11
macrumors member

Sell iPad 4th gen for iPad mini?

Hello everyone! I have a much discussed and debated question to ask. Should I sell my full size iPad 4th generation for a 16GB white iPad mini? I tried it out today at the Apple Store, and I fell in love. But I am not sure if I will be satisfied with it. Have any other people out there did the same thing I'm thinking? What do you guys think? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

The only reason to make the trade is for the size factor. Otherwise the iPad is miles better than the Mini. It's really no contest to which is a better machine.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickprete11 View Post
Hello everyone! I have a much discussed and debated question to ask. Should I sell my full size iPad 4th generation for a 16GB white iPad mini? I tried it out today at the Apple Store, and I fell in love. But I am not sure if I will be satisfied with it. Have any other people out there did the same thing I'm thinking? What do you guys think? Thanks
To add to GimmeSlack12's advice, it is obvious that the iPad mini is positioned to have more dated internals than its larger counterpart in the same way that the iPod touch is now positioned to have more dated internals than the contemporary iPhone. Given how quickly it took the A4 iPad to become slow with software updates, my guess is that, in terms of software support, the iPad mini, running the A5 will probably not give you as much mileage as the A6X 4th Generation iPad. If you love the form factor, I'd wait until it gets both a retina display and some flavor of A6(X) processor, because it is obvious that those advancements are coming.

Otherwise, it's a size disparity. Personally, the ability to type on my iPad when in landscape mode in the same way that I can on a laptop is an incredible feature that one would be giving up in going to the iPad mini. I couldn't do it unless said iPad mini became yet a tertiary iOS device (but that seems a tad excessive).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:25 AM   #4
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
Otherwise, it's a size disparity. Personally, the ability to type on my iPad when in landscape mode in the same way that I can on a laptop is an incredible feature that one would be giving up in going to the iPad mini. I couldn't do it unless said iPad mini became yet a tertiary iOS device (but that seems a tad excessive).
Good input.

Also I just should state this clearly:
Do not think you will not notice the non-Retina display if you are used to a Retina display. I encourage to keep the iPad and ignore the mini.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Suraj R.
macrumors regular

Keep the full sized device, its a lot more powerful and the screen is a huge advantage. Retina displays have become the standard now, why settle for less?

That being said, it depends what you do with it...
Suraj R. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

If you already own the iPad 4, I would just stick out with it until a retina iPad mini appears. I have both an iPad 4 and iPad mini and both are interesting devices.
iAppl3Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7
OldRhodie
macrumors member

I can't see any reason to downsize & downgrade to the mini!
OldRhodie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #8
martinm0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
Good input.

Also I just should state this clearly:
Do not think you will not notice the non-Retina display if you are used to a Retina display. I encourage to keep the iPad and ignore the mini.
THIS. I tried the iPad Mini and just couldn't take the non-retina display. Its a wonderful device outside of that and suggest to hold onto the iPad 4 and wait for a Retina Mini later this year. You have a great iPad and no sense losing money selling it now and then lusting after a Retina Mini when they are released.
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular

I did this - and would not recommend. It's most certainly a downgrade, not just size but everything else, especially the screen.

Wait for retina and an improvements which make it a feasible swap!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Essenar
macrumors 6502

I'd rather have both or just the iPad 4 but I do love the Mini.

I suggest the Mini for people who are REALLY on the go. As in, constantly hopping on buses, cabs, subways.

If you spend more than 20% of your "work day" sitting down, iPad 4 all the way.
Essenar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:41 PM   #11
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

I bought both, and found that most of the time (unless I'm on a couch), I'm reaching for the mini. Charges in no time, it's light, fits in one hand, & tucks in a back jeans pocket or coat pocket. I love this thing. The convenience of it far outweighs the lack of retina for me. It's nowhere near as powerful, but so far it's been powerful enough not to be a bother.

The next gen will have Retina, but will probably be barely powerful enough to drive it. I'll skip it.

The generation after that will be the sweet one to get, with the retina display and the more significant chip, cameras, etc.

After that, I'll be content, until the day they add Thunderbolt & a Wacom digitizer layer.
ThunderSkunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
CeratixD
macrumors newbie

Keep your 4th Ipad!
CeratixD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:10 PM   #13
iAsimov76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
The only reason to make the trade is for the size factor. Otherwise the iPad is miles better than the Mini. It's really no contest to which is a better machine.
For you perhaps. I find my mini miles better than the regular iPad in terms of every day use for it's size and portability and the fact I can hold it in the palm of my hand. The "non-retina" issue is also a personal one. I went from a retina iPad to a mini and have no complaints whatsoever. But to each their own.
iAsimov76 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:39 PM   #14
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

I went for an iPad mini (got my girlfriend one for her birthday) and I have to agree with the consensus.
Yes it's still an iPad through and through but you cant help but feel like youre not experiencing the full ipad experience due to the non retina display and the small screen. it felt a bit like a big ipod touch.

On an iPad I feel like I'm on a full computer. the iPad mini felt like a mobile compromise of such. like a big ipod touch.

I would stick with iPad 4. the weight issue is exaggerated around here and you're getting a full web experience.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:16 PM   #15
nickprete11
macrumors member

Well everyone, I took the plunge and sold my iPad 4th gen. It just didn't make sense to me to have a MacBook Air and a full size iPad, I think the iPad mini will be much more of a better compromise. AND MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #16
MalooNZ
macrumors newbie

Depends on your usage

If you only read books the mini is great - if you do anything else i can't see why you would buy a mini other than price. As you have 4 stick with it. Also it's hard to go from a retina display.
MalooNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:20 PM   #17
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well everyone, I took the plunge and sold my iPad 4th gen. It just didn't make sense to me to have a MacBook Air and a full size iPad, I think the iPad mini will be much more of a better compromise. AND MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET
Totally don't understand you reasons, but now you have a poor proforming iPad Mini enjoy!
KiwiAdventure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:56 PM   #18
iAsimov76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalooNZ View Post
If you only read books the mini is great - if you do anything else i can't see why you would buy a mini other than price. As you have 4 stick with it. Also it's hard to go from a retina display.
Apparently not since the OP traded his 4 for a mini.
iAsimov76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #19
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I have a MacBook Air, an iPad 4 and we have a Mini in the house, I can use anytime. For me, I dislike the Mini, don't like tablets with small screens. Sounds like your decision was largely money motivated with the emphasis of caps and all... To each their own.
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:25 PM   #20
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
In your logic, doesnt make sense for you to haave an ipad at all. At this point, keep the money and wait for the next ipad refresh
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:52 PM   #21
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Seeing how many Apple products you have, internals really don't seem to matter to you much. Which is probably a good thing. They don't define the experience completely.

I love my mini. I couldn't go back to regular iPad. Mini is MUCH better to type on, and has much better battery.
saud0488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:27 AM   #22
swerve147
macrumors 6502a

In the same situation but I'm definitely holding out for the Retina iPad Mini. the larger iPad will do just fine until it comes out.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:42 AM   #23
nickprete11
macrumors member

I think my decision was more fueled by the size then money. I liked the cheaper price point, yeah, but cheaper prices mean cheaper upgrades mean more saved to spend on other things. Also, I mainly use my iPad for web, FB and social, iBooks, and some gaming. Other than that, I do nothing professionally. I will most likely upgrade to the iPad mini with Retina Display, but I'm not even sure. I'll probably be happy enough with the current mini.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:37 AM   #24
prdlacky
macrumors newbie

Mini is fine for bed lazy stuff :-)) But when you want nice display and big display size.. Original iPad for this is best.
prdlacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
ipad mini 4 sell