Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Cheapest legal way to install Windows 8 on Mac?

Hi all. I was quite familiar with windows up until the Vista era. After that I switched to Mac and haven't even thought about going back. Does anyone know the cheapest way (student discount, etc.) to obtain a copy of Windows 8? I don't have Windows on my Mac now (and I really don't want it but exporting to word and such always seems to have formatting errors so rather than just purchasing office I just want the full OS) and I have done some minor research and have found I will need a "builder" edition. I remember something about buying the upgrade version on Vista and installing it again to get a clean install and this bypassed the need to purchase the full version. I don't think technically that'd be illegal (more like cheating the system) but (morally) I could let myself go that route if there is any similar workaround for 8.

Anyway, I'm all over the place with this post but I would just like to know where to buy and what the cheapest and best route for my situation is. I don't want to torrent or anything like that. Besides, it's too much of a hassle. Thanks!

Subthread: Does creating a partition with Windows on it slow boot times or anything like that on the system? I have the original thunderbolt iMac, FWIW.
Oh and another random though (forgive my ADD today), I don't quite know all the details but this Office 365 is a freaking LOAD. Yearly subscription? That's whack.

Last edited by iBreatheApple; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
iBreatheApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
LWX
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to LWX Send a message via MSN to LWX Send a message via Yahoo to LWX Send a message via Skype™ to LWX
Buy an OEM copy from Amazon. That's what I did, though I went with Windows 7 rather than 8.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:39 PM   #3
avflinsch
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
Does anyone know the cheapest way (student discount, etc.) to obtain a copy of Windows 8?
If you have a .edu email, you may be able to get a free copy via Microsoft Dreamspark

Other MS stuff available there - sort of like MS crack - first sample is free, then get them hooked as early as possible.
avflinsch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:15 PM   #4
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

1. There are ways to get free edu addresses.
2. using EDU, OEM, Etc versions may make you feel better because you are paying for them but you are still violating the terms.
3. having said that, TechNet is a great value. You can not only have every version of windows, but you also get office, etc, even for mac.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
1. There are ways to get free edu addresses.
2. using EDU, OEM, Etc versions may make you feel better because you are paying for them but you are still violating the terms.
3. having said that, TechNet is a great value. You can not only have every version of windows, but you also get office, etc, even for mac.
I already have a .edu email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avflinsch View Post
If you have a .edu email, you may be able to get a free copy via Microsoft Dreamspark

Other MS stuff available there - sort of like MS crack - first sample is free, then get them hooked as early as possible.
Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, even after signing up, I don't see anything regarding Windows (except Windows 7 Embedded).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 12.01.07 AM.png
Views:	46
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	398876  

Last edited by iBreatheApple; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
iBreatheApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:06 PM   #6
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Student editions are $70. Technet is still the better deal if you can make use of the rest (office, Office for mac, windows 7, Windows XP, etc)
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:27 PM   #7
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Student editions are $70. Technet is still the better deal if you can make use of the rest (office, Office for mac, windows 7, Windows XP, etc)
That's the upgrade price. Since I'd be installing on a Mac, I need the system builder version.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's the upgrade price. Since I'd be installing on a Mac, I need the system builder version.
Again, look at technet.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #9
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Again, look at technet.
I'm not familiar what technet is/offers. I took a quick look and see that you can download a 90-day trial version.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:36 AM   #10
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm not familiar what technet is/offers. I took a quick look and see that you can download a 90-day trial version.
Technet is a method for testers, developers, engineers to gain access to Microsoft products to perform testing before rolling out a solution.

Technet standard essentially provides 2 valid license keys to every desktop software microsoft makes as well as some server software.

Included are 2 keys to:
Windows XP
Windows XP Pro
Windows Vista (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
Windows 7 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
Windows 8 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2003 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2007 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2010 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2011 for Mac (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS SQL Server
MS Exchange
etc

Cost for all this is $199. To renew it is $149.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac