Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I used to get 6-7 hours usage and 15 hours standby on good days when I was in Toronto and using LTE.
Just moved to Dubai and no LTE, so I am on 3G but my iPhone battery has dropped dramatically. Doing the same things as before, but now I get 4 hours usage, 7-8hours standby.
It is terrible, don't know what to do. I have cycled it. Just upgraded to 6.1, been on 6.0 since the phone was released.
Any ideas? I turned off some location services, brightness is 1/3 or below.

Try turning LTE off on your iPhone? Maybe its constantly trying to find a LTE signal and thats whats causing the drain. Are all your apps updated?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Try turning LTE off on your iPhone? Maybe its constantly trying to find a LTE signal and thats whats causing the drain. Are all your apps updated?

Not all iPhones seem to have option to turn off LTE as mine only shows option to enable or disable 3G with no LTE option on my iPhone 5.

xtremr

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I had issues with my battery life when it was first new but after draining it and charging it after normal usage, it seems to have fixed the issue. It still doesn't last as long as my 4 did though...

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Since ios 6.1 battery has been a lot better. It drains so much slower. Anyone experiencing the same?

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Since ios 6.1 battery has been a lot better. It drains so much slower. Anyone experiencing the same?

Same thing here 3G seems to drain slow than 6.0.2.

6.0.2 Drains 26% On 3G (One hour) Tuninradio.
6.1 Drains 21% On 3G (One hour) Tuninradio.

Glad to be getting better battery life.:)

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Same thing here 3G seems to drain slow than 6.0.2.

6.0.2 Drains 26% On 3G (One hour) Tuninradio.
6.1 Drains 21% On 3G (One hour) Tuninradio.

Glad to be getting better battery life.:)

This is what I have so far

Batt.jpg

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Hello, all! I'm new to this forum, and need your opinions/perspectives/advice! Ive had my 16g iphone 5 since early Dec. 2012. Been running io6 since early Jan 2013. My battery life is awful. Not sure if its io6 related, but my inclination is yes. These are the measures I've taken in attempts to improve performance: no wi-fi, no siri, no fetch, no push, no location service, no LTE, screen @20%, and I always clean multi-tasking tray. Cycled battery 3 times in 3 weeks. 3G.

So taking these things in consideration, here is a breakdown of my last cycle:

5:55am Unplugged from charger, battery at 100%. Turned phone on, killed all apps, turned phone off. Went to sleep.
12:04pm Wake up, turn phone on. 54%. (Huh?) Turn off. Sleep.
2:34pm Wake up, turn on. 54%. (Confusing?) Snap this pic. Turn off.

[url=http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5278/img1206.png]Image[/URL]

2:44pm Send 3 texts, receive 2. Same person. Turn off.
2:52pm Battery at 45%.
2:59pm Use Instagram and Facebook (6mins). Kill apps. 40%. Turn off
3:11pm Turn on. 36%. Use dictionary app (4mins). Turn off
3:24pm Turn on. 31%. Turn off
3:31pm Use of dictionary app (4mins), battery at 27%. Turn off
3:38pm Turn on. 23%. Turn off
4:07pm Turn on. 9%.
4:14pm Use dictionary app (5mins). 4%.

That's pretty much the extent of it. Hardly seems right. It's frustrating that I am constantly having to charge my phone. It drains at least twice a day, with such minimal use. Should I reset/restore? Whats the difference? And isn't that only a temporary solution anyway? There are no apple stores in my area, haven't called support either. But this certainly can't be normal, right? Any response is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try a hard reset, hold the lock button and home button until the phone completly shuts off.

----------

i am getting 4 and a half to 5 hours max on my iPhone 5 with brightness at 85 and some youtube/safari/email...basically like 20% of battery per hour is this normal?

it does seem to drain quick

Have you tried the tips to reduce battery drain? Theres alot of things in settings you can tweak to really improve your battery life. I have my brightness on at 75% and for every one hour of on screen time connected to my wifi, 12% of the battery went down per hour of on screen time.

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2012
Can anyone help me I have a iphone 4 iOS 6.1 and my phones battery has got really bad goes down by the minute all radios pretty much off and only notifications I use is gmail app but I removed that and no change i have set up as new and no change I get about 6 -7 if lucky of usage and stand by a day any help :) ???

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Can anyone help me I have a iphone 4 iOS 6.1 and my phones battery has got really bad goes down by the minute all radios pretty much off and only notifications I use is gmail app but I removed that and no change i have set up as new and no change I get about 6 -7 if lucky of usage and stand by a day any help :) ???

If you haven't already done so, turn off all options in System Services (Location Services) except for 'Cell Network Search' and maybe 'Traffic'. Doing this helped my battery life dramatically!

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2012
If you haven't already done so, turn off all options in System Services (Location Services) except for 'Cell Network Search' and maybe 'Traffic'. Doing this helped my battery life dramatically!

Alright thank you :) is there any way too find out if its my battery if that doesn work I've had my iphone for a year but it is a used iphone 4

ImmortalMario

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Iphone 5 battery

For those who get 8+ hours of usage time on your iphone 5, do you close all of the apps in multitasking?

ImmortalMario

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Do you guys use 4g lte when you need to or 3G. And how do you let it drain till it shuts off and charge it fully while its off? Doesn't it turn back on. And when it turns back on do you guys close the multitasking apps then charge it?

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
The 'multitasking bar' does not as many people believe show currently running apps, although I've overheard Apple Retail staff telling people this. It's more of a 'recently used' list, although if an app happens to be running, removing it from here will shutdown the app.

For most apps, removing it from the multitasking bar will not make any difference to battery life. Only closing apps such as Skype or Google Latitude which do a lot in the background will have an impact, but you also loose the functionality of those apps.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
For everyone looking at this thread and seeing those 10 - 12 hour running times, don't be fooled. These people are just listening to music with their screens off. You can get 18hours id say with Songza and screen off.

I normally get 5-6 hours of regular use, with screen actually on. But tonight, with 30% left, I got my phone to 12 hours listening to 5 hours of songza with screen off.

With normal use, and screen off you should get 4-6 hours.

What really pisses me off is that I loose 8-10% overnight!!! that really bugs me. If I put the phone into plane mode I loose 1%

Oxonian3

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Trinidad
Another iPhone 5 Battery Life Thread

Hey guys, I got my new iPhone 5 yesterday (switched from blackberry and i'm soo happy) but the battery life isn't all that great.I'm running on 6.1.2
If I leave home at 7:00 in the morning, it will only last me to 3 in the afternoon.
I've done a full battery cycle but still don't think the results are adequate.For i5 users on 4g, how is the battery life?

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    107.8 KB · Views: 185

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Hey guys, I got my new iPhone 5 yesterday (switched from blackberry and i'm soo happy) but the battery life isn't all that great.I'm running on 6.1.2
If I leave home at 7:00 in the morning, it will only last me to 3 in the afternoon.
I've done a full battery cycle but still don't think the results are adequate.For i5 users on 4g, how is the battery life?

It usually takes a week to settle. You gotta break the battery in. Mine was like yours when I first got it and now it lasts the entire day.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
My battery drops 1% a minute when I'm streaming music and have the screen on. I bought mine off of swappa so I'm gonna try a few charging cycles before I go to the Apple store n try to get a warranty exchange. It's really annoying. I thought it would have better battery life than this. But coming from the Note 2, I guess I'm expecting a little too much

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
My battery drops 1% a minute when I'm streaming music and have the screen on. I bought mine off of swappa so I'm gonna try a few charging cycles before I go to the Apple store n try to get a warranty exchange. It's really annoying. I thought it would have better battery life than this. But coming from the Note 2, I guess I'm expecting a little too much

iPhone 5
1,440 mAh = 8 hours of talk time (3G)

Note II
3,100 mAh = 16 hours of talk time (3G)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.