Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm talking about for those who already do PAY for the service but happen to not be at home when wanting to watch a game.

Not sure what you mean. Which service, cable or MLB.com? If you are home (assuming you follow the home team) then you can't watch the game on MLB.com. Ironically MLB.com is great for people who've moved but want to continue to follow their old home team. It's also good for people who travel a lot. But... it's probably never going to be much good for people who want to cut the cable and watch the home team in their homes. And this is by design.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Blackouts really hamper the sales potential for apps and services like this, NHL Gamecenter Live, and NBA TV. And while NFL Sunday Ticket from DirecTV is provider specific as is the Verizon NFL app, they too suffer the same ridiculous archaic blackout syndrome.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
When I first saw this article I was wondering why a game would be front page. Its not Apple hardware, OS, or Software. So why front page? However seeing all the responses I guess there are a lot of Apple fans that care about baseball. Who knew? Not me...

Surprise - people like things you don't like. :rolleyes:

paul3000

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
I just want to be able to buy a subscription to my team and watch them. Is this so hard for them to figure out. The same goes for Football, I don't want to watch them the day after, nor do I want to watch every game.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Not sure what you mean. Which service, cable or MLB.com? If you are home (assuming you follow the home team) then you can't watch the game on MLB.com. Ironically MLB.com is great for people who've moved but want to continue to follow their old home team. It's also good for people who travel a lot. But... it's probably never going to be much good for people who want to cut the cable and watch the home team in their homes. And this is by design.

Both!

I pay for DirecTV with FSN, I pay for MLB.com and I still have local games blacked out. So if I'm not home but still in my "home" market, say I'm at my kids baseball practice, I can't watch the game on my iPhone or iPad etc because it is blacked out. That is silly.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Radio

The radio option seems rather pointless. Simply get a free radio streaming app like TuneIn Radio and listen to whichever station your favorite team's game is being broadcast on.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Exactly! There's a lot of money wrapped up in local cable deals - especially with baseball. We're talking about a 162 game season.

The Astros and Rockets here in Houston just created their own channel (with comcast), and they are playing hardball with the other providers. So, right now 70% of Houston can't even watch the Rockets on TV.

It's hard to see these blackouts going away any time soon. In any sport.

This isn't new. Comcast does this all the time. Whenever a contract with another provider like Dish or DirecTV expires they try to gauge them in the re-up, usually forcing the contract talks to stall, then those subscribers go without, Comcast hopefully gets some defectors before the deal finally gets made. Same with new "Comcast" owned stations. They want to steal subscribers so they leverage that over the other providers during negotiations.

Can you imagine if Comcast owned ESPN. They'd never want to have anyone else get it, hoping to get all the satellite subscribers back!

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I am a huge baseball fan, and I was living in another city and faithfully plunked down the $150 or so a year to watch my team. Now that I moved back home to where my team is . . . I can't watch my team and MLB gets $0.

Thanks, MLB?

msnyder7

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
Utah
The radio option seems rather pointless. Simply get a free radio streaming app like TuneIn Radio and listen to whichever station your favorite team's game is being broadcast on.

Unfortunately, radio stations also get blacked out and require you to tune in with an actual radio or through MLB At Bat. You'll just get a broadcast of some random old content.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Not buying until the blackout rules are changed. I live five hours from the "home" team I can't watch.:mad:

msnyder7

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
Utah
Both!

I pay for DirecTV with FSN, I pay for MLB.com and I still have local games blacked out. So if I'm not home but still in my "home" market, say I'm at my kids baseball practice, I can't watch the game on my iPhone or iPad etc because it is blacked out. That is silly.

Get SlingBox. Seriously, $200 and you can watch your entire DirecTV on your phone. Over 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Networks pay a lot of money to exclusively carry games in local markets. It's not going to change any time soon.

Here's the flaw in their argument - at least for blacking out local games on phones and tablets: No one chooses to watch a baseball game on their 4" phone screen versus a big TV in all of it's high definition glory. I don't want to be able to watch Cardinals games on my phone while in the STL area so I can dump cable and never watch it on TV again, I want to watch games on my phone for the times when I'm unable to watch them on TV.

Of course I'm going to watch games on TV when I can, but I can't be in front of a TV for all 162 games. On day games, it would be nice to be able to have the game going on my phone while I'm at work. Even though I can see Busch Stadium from my office, I can't see the action inside the stadium ;)

Perhaps there's a valid argument for blacking out games on Apple TV/Roku/etc and computers, because then people really wouldn't watch it on cable or satellite. But it seems like showing the commercials during breaks instead of the "Be back soon...." screen would solve that problem. Why the hell should networks care where the advertising dollars are coming in from as long as they're coming in? Besides, if the commercials are streamed nationally, the networks might attract bigger, national advertisers who I'm sure pay more money for a 30 second spot than sleazeballs like Ray Vinson (any Cardinals fans who watch FSMW know what I'm talking about).

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Dear MLB teams (as blackout restrictions aren't under jurisdiction by the MLB itself):

Please allow MLB at Bat to at least just stream the feed from your stupid local sports network created solely for your team.

Thanks,
Baseball fans everywhere

Unfortunately, it is not that simple. There are many parties involved between the action on the field and the consumer at home on the couch. The current deals would all need to expire and/or be renegotiated with the following parties at the table (who, by the way, largely have no interest in giving up their exclusivity pacts):

• Owners
  • Players Association
  • MLB Advanced Media
  • Local Channels
  • Regional Channels
  • National Channels
  • Advertisers
  • Cable Operators
  • Satellite Operators

It is the same situation as some YouTube videos that are blacked-out from being played on mobile devices. Until they can figure out how to monetize those feeds, they are not going to provide it in the hopes that you will filter to the channels that they are making money on. I'm not agreeing with the model, but that's the reality. They have little incentive to change. Money is the only way.

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Ugh. I would gladly pay perhaps $200 a season if it meant I could watch my local games live. Otherwise this service is pretty useless. It defeats the purpose of the app. Sure, when I'm at home, maybe I'll watch the game on TV. But if I'm out in the yard, or at a store, or waiting in line somewhere, or at a bar where they don't have the game on, I'm paying all this money so I can see my own team play.

This is similar to the whole XM/Sirius fiasco. They're the same company, yet only XM radios get the MLB channels. And of course, I have a Sirius radio in my car and can't listen to any games.

Really annoying.

DS79

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Can you watch the away-team coverage of home games? At least you'd still get to see the game, even with the other team's announcers.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Surprise - people like things you don't like. :rolleyes:

:confused: No, Baseball is a major sport in Cuba as it is in the USA. I love baseball. My point was my surprise that on a website dedicated to Apple hardware/OS/Software, we would go off on a baseball tangent. That was all. :p

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Can you watch the away-team coverage of home games? At least you'd still get to see the game, even with the other team's announcers.

Nope. If your local market team is playing, the game is blacked-out whether home or away. The only exception may be if the game is not being televised in your local market, but in baseball that is an extremely rare occurrence. Certainly not worth $150/season.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Doesn't work. The games are blacked out from all internet radio (tunein, etc). I got it in order to get the radio broadcast but I wasn't happy about the price increase to $19.99.

The Red Sox better beat the Yankees in every game this season :D.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Playing on PC as well is overdue

I'm glad they finally let us stream audio over a Mac/PC as well if you bought the audio via IAP. I didn't want to buy both a phone and computer audio subscription, and my doesn't have wi-fi that my phone is allowed to access.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Dear MLB teams (as blackout restrictions aren't under jurisdiction by the MLB itself):

Please allow MLB at Bat to at least just stream the feed from your stupid local sports network created solely for your team.

Thanks,
Baseball fans everywhere

Note: Lots of times there is no local network carrying the feed. The Blackouts are also set locally in relation to game attendance. They will black out all local feeds of a game specifically to force people to come to the stadium to watch the game. And sometimes they black-out the feed if attendance is low to avoid showing all the empty stands on the air if the game is that low in interest.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
And sometimes they black-out the feed if attendance is low to avoid showing all the empty stands on the air if the game is that low in interest.
The only team I've noticed do that is the Padres (and oddly, the Chargers as well). If that was the case for all teams, the Pittsburgh Pirates wouldn't broadcast more than 60% of their games. :p

(Not hating the Buccos, as a former Pittsburgh resident I like the Pirates and loved heading to the games, I'm just a Cardinals fan first.)

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
Man, I just can't wait for a la carte TV programming to arrive. Give me Speed and CSNBA so I can watch motorsports and baseball, and **** all the other worthless stations.

Luckily, my current living situation involves a cable TV addict, so I get to see every Giants game anyway. For me, the app is just a nice, <$1-a-day way to see what's going on in the rest of the league :cool:

CSB: Last year I traveled a lot for work and MLB.tv proved invaluable. I watched Matt Cain throw the perfect game from a hotel on the east coast!

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Note: Lots of times there is no local network carrying the feed. The Blackouts are also set locally in relation to game attendance. They will black out all local feeds of a game specifically to force people to come to the stadium to watch the game. And sometimes they black-out the feed if attendance is low to avoid showing all the empty stands on the air if the game is that low in interest.

This is true for football, not baseball.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.