Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
some of you people really need to check your eyes if you did not find anything "next gen" out there.

Also to the people who say its prerendered, Killzone was being played live in front of everyone in the ball room... you can actually see the guy playing just before they cut to direct feed. The press also confirmed it.

Really dont know how the fack someone is not impressed by the sheer scale of the city in that demo and go on calling it "not next gen".

So glad I am not one of you people. Seems like your standards are high as ****.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Imagine if Apple did announcements like this.

"Hey guys, in Holiday 2013 we'll be releasing a new iMac that turns into a huge iPad. Here are a bunch of devs saying how great it is. We can't show you what it looks like yet but here's the keyboard."

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
The PS4 looks like good news for PC gamers, with its X86 architecture. It'll be interesting to see how the new XBox compares, and what it will cost for an equivalent PC when they launch.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I think about 20 minutes out of the 2 hours with that dodgy stream. It looked pretty good tho. Just hope its nearly silent when your running video apps!

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
The fact that the PS4 has both an AMD CPU and GPU is excellent news for AMD, given how many units it'll sell and how cheap those processors will be to produce in a few years time. Great win for them.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The only thing I don't like is that existing PSN purchases will not work on the PS4. I was amazed by the whole show last night and I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. That's the biggest kicker for me (as someone with 100 or so games on PSN, and DLC for some). It's big enough that I'm going to sit back and wait on getting a PS4. I'm not rebuying any digital media.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The only thing I don't like is that existing PSN purchases will not work on the PS4. I was amazed by the whole show last night and I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. That's the biggest kicker for me (as someone with 100 or so games on PSN, and DLC for some). It's big enough that I'm going to sit back and wait on getting a PS4. I'm not rebuying any digital media.

Are you sure about that, I thought this was the reason why Gaiiki was introduced...this would hurt my feelings if I can't play my PSN(not blu-ray) games.

People still talking about DRM, Blu-ray drive and such...they already confirmed the specs and talked about the PS4 indeed playing used games. The share button is a non issue if you are not interested in it so I don't get the :mad:

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Are you sure about that, I thought this was the reason why Gaiiki was introduced...this would hurt my feelings if I can't play my PSN(not blu-ray) games.

People still talking about DRM, Blu-ray drive and such...they already confirmed the specs and talked about the PS4 indeed playing used games. The share button is a non issue if you are not interested in it so I don't get the :mad:

Bless

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/psn-transfers-ps4/
It's a bit cloudy (heh) at the moment but it seems that you have to rebuy games on the Playstation Cloud service. Current PSN games won't be playable and won't transfer to cloud.

They've clarified some things (why there wasn't a PS4 to show, used games etc) but nothing about streaming PSN.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It's a bit cloudy (heh) at the moment but it seems that you have to rebuy games on the Playstation Cloud service. Current PSN games won't be playable and won't transfer to cloud.

It's unfortunate but for most PSN purchases you're just buying a license to play the game on up to 2 PS3 systems. Could they allow it? Most likely, but that is what you paid for... 2 PS3 systems.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's unfortunate but for most PSN purchases you're just buying a license to play the game on up to 2 PS3 systems. Could they allow it? Most likely, but that is what you paid for... 2 PS3 systems.

It's 2 systems at a time, although it used to be "5 machines" that included PSP and PS3.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

They've clarified some things (why there wasn't a PS4 to show, used games etc) but nothing about streaming PSN.
I've not had chance to sift through the news today. Have they given a reason for not showing the actual PS4? Or have I misunderstood?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I could see it being then for Black Friday, but I also think that could be a main reason to avoid releasing then. How about Dec. 3 instead? ;) Guess we can all start guessing dates.

Why would a company want to avoid having their product available for one of the biggest shopping days of the year? Obviously all we are doing is guessing but of the home consoles released by Nintendo, SEGA, Sony and Microsoft (going back to the NES) the latest North American launch was Nov 19 by the Wii so I'd be very surprised if Sony is planning on launching the PS4 as late as December.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I've not had chance to sift through the news today. Have they given a reason for not showing the actual PS4? Or have I misunderstood?

They only have prototype/developers boxes right now, and the final spec sheet isn't finalised (by which I think they mean the number of USB ports). All the key info is there (1x HDMI, 1x TOSLINK, 1x AUX for PSeye, 1x Video for the old school PlayStation video cable, 1x Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR).

Wait for E3, I reckon they'll show something then.

Why would a company want to avoid having their product available for one of the biggest shopping days of the year? Obviously all we are doing is guessing but of the home consoles released by Nintendo, SEGA, Sony and Microsoft (going back to the NES) the latest North American launch was Nov 19 by the Wii so I'd be very surprised if Sony is planning on launching the PS4 as late as December.

Isn't Black Friday all about sales and discounts? To me it wouldn't make sense to launch a product in time for a day when everybody wants things cheaper than normal.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Isn't Black Friday all about sales and discounts? To me it wouldn't make sense to launch a product in time for a day when everybody wants things cheaper than normal.
The limited quantity loss leaders are used to attract shoppers but most customers don't just buy those things. The PS4 is going to be competing against the PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and, most likely, Xbox 720 (or whatever MS will call it) so waiting until the last minute to launch is probably going to result in pretty dismal numbers. Again, going all the way back to the NES I couldn't find a home console launch from a major player that took place later than Nov.19th.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
So we didn't see the actual PlayStation 4 console on stage at Sony's press event tonight, but that doesn't mean we can't know what's inside it. A press release reveals that the PS4's PC-like configuration will include an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU built by AMD, with a Radeon GPU comprised of 18 "compute units" capable of cranking out 1.84 TFLOPS to process graphics and more. Its Blu-ray drive -- yes, it will still have one of those -- spins at a brisk 6X (8X for DVDs) and as mentioned on stage, it packs 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM capable of 176GB/sec of bandwidth. 802.11n WiFi, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, optical out and even a legacy analog AV out make up the inputs and outputs, although the potential amounts of storage are still unspecified.

Maybe there will be a GOOD Aliens game for this console like the original? :eek:

(Did I just say that?) ;)

AtariJaguar_1.jpg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
One has to wonder if the PS4 will support 4K, if this is Sony's console for the next 10 years it will need to be future proof. Just having Bluray isn't going to cut it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
One has to wonder if the PS4 will support 4K, if this is Sony's console for the next 10 years it will need to be future proof. Just having Bluray isn't going to cut it.
I read that Sony said the PS4 will output 4K if the source media is 4K but games won't be 4K. So, I take this to mean that when streaming services offer 4K the PS4 will send that 4K signal out to a 4K TV. A 6x Blu-ray player might even be fast enough support 4K Blu-rays if it ever gets to that point.

Honestly though, I think mainstream 4K adaption is probably 5 to 8yrs down the road and by that time we'll be in the next console transition period anyway.

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
They only have prototype/developers boxes right now, and the final spec sheet isn't finalised (by which I think they mean the number of USB ports). All the key info is there (1x HDMI, 1x TOSLINK, 1x AUX for PSeye, 1x Video for the old school PlayStation video cable, 1x Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR).

Wait for E3, I reckon they'll show something then.

I could see it releasing on the 22 though- even with Black Friday.

Comes out that Friday- then the next Friday people who want the cheaper "older" system can get whatever ps3 bundle they have- plus whatever vita bundle they have.

You know since vita might be very important to the 4 would make since to release it before Black Friday and have people buy that and a vita the next week who don't have one. Win win for them.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

I read that Sony said the PS4 will output 4K if the source media is 4K but games won't be 4K. So, I take this to mean that when streaming services offer 4K the PS4 will send that 4K signal out to a 4K TV. A 6x Blu-ray player might even be fast enough support 4K Blu-rays if it ever gets to that point.

Honestly though, I think mainstream 4K adaption is probably 5 to 8yrs down the road and by that time we'll be in the next console transition period anyway.

I also read this. You have to wonder if it will ever be a possibility on the PS4, or will it destroy fps to the point that it is unplayable? Who knows. A part of me thought that Sony might mention the possibility of 4K down the road. I suppose we just have to hope that they have nailed 1080p in 60 fps across the board now.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
4K gaming is impossible except on the highest end PC rigs right now, due to the sheer amount of pixels needing to be pushed. The PlayStation 4 simply doesn't have the grunt to do it - but Sony execs have said the PS5 will be aiming for that.

4K support will be limited to video playback only. That's fine by me, as it is going to take years for 4K to reach mainstream.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I think Sony are trying to position the PS4 as a reasonably cheap, yet relatively high quality 4K player, just as they did with standard Blu-ray and DVD before that.

When the PS3 first came out I was essentially using it as a Blu-ray player/media streamer that just so happened to also play WipEout....

:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I suppose we just have to hope that they have nailed 1080p in 60 fps across the board now.

I don't think that will be a problem. Maybe not for launch games (Killzone is 1080p 30fps), just like how Wii U games are just 720p even though we're learning how powerful that machine is, and how god awful launch games looked on PS3/Xbox 360.

I honestly can't wait to see how PS4 games will look in 6-7 years.

And I'd like to know the 3D capabilities, with that extra frame buffer are we going to get 1080p 3D games?

I'm getting the feeling the PS4 won't be too expensive. There is no emulation, no CD play app and a huge focus on connectivity. Compare that to the PS3 that does a whole load of things out the box. I'm guessing a £200-250 price and a strong push to get people onto PS Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.