Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
The aspect ratio really hits you in the face when they open it up, honking.

I have no idea why anyone would design a laptop with that aspect ratio in 2013.

Perhaps because some people still use computer displays for things other than watching television. I hope this panel shows up on more capable hardware soon.

Tora Shin

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Preston, UK
I'm not just saying this, but this thing is TERRIBLE! First of all, it's absolutely hideous - have you seen how fat the display is?! Plus it has a ****** processor & only 4gb ram, a pathetic 32gb ssd, and only 5 hours battery life. It isn't exactly cheap either. Who would buy this?!

icomment

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I'm not just saying this, but this thing is TERRIBLE! First of all, it's absolutely hideous - have you seen how fat the display is?! Plus it has a ****** processor & only 4gb ram, a pathetic 32gb ssd, and only 5 hours battery life. It isn't exactly cheap either. Who would buy this?!

Google's fan boys. And people who have money and like to think they're better than the world because they're using something different. ;)

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
That thing is destined to be the Zune of laptops. Fuh-gly. Nice job Google. Maybe you should whip out a map to the nearest dumpster.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Wow I never thought I'd say this but it seems like the 13" rMBP is the value proposition here...times have changed...

neilk

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
Hmm, so I tend to keep my hardware a long time, so after 3 years, I would have to start paying for Google Drive. Seems like an expensive proposition to keep your pictures, etc on their servers since you have no local storage.

200 GB of storage for Drive and Google+ Photos. Plus, an additional 25 GB for Gmail. $9.99 / Month

400 GB of storage for Drive and Google+ Photos. Plus, an additional 25 GB for Gmail. $19.99 / Month

1 TB of storage for Drive and Google+ Photos. Plus, an additional 25 GB for Gmail. $49.99 / Month

No thanks!

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
The last one looked nicer - plus on the MBA you can use Chrome and what's great about it is you can use other software too!

You know like a proper Microsoft Office instead of Google Docs and use software like Photoshop - further more you get to choose your browser too!

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Now things are starting to make some sense:

Last year:

October 23, 2012: Apple announces the 4th generation iPad, faster than the 3rd generation and also with a retina display, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a retina display.

And then, six days later...

October 29, 2012: Google announces Nexus 10, a tablet with a 2560x1600 resolution, for US$ 399.

This year:

February 13, 2013: Apple drops the price of the retina 13-inch MacBook Pro, which now costs US$ 1,499 (the base model) and US$ 1,699 (the higher end model).

And now, eight days later...

February 21, 2013: Google announces the Chromebook Pixel, a laptop with a 12.85-inch screen with a resolution of 2560x1700, starting at US$ 1,300.

Do you see a pattern here is it just me?

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
When they said we want to make the hardware disappear - I thought the exact same thing it looks like the ****** square shaped advent laptop I had years ago :p

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
The sequel to ...

nexus_q_banner_003.png

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Well they made some stupid glasses and google fans made a mess in their pants so I guess they figured that those same people would cough up $1300 for a 64gig iPod touch?

That's actually an insult. The iPod touch can probably do more than this piece of crap.

I bet Googles stock will explode on news of this pile of waste.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Now even a Chromebook got a retina-class screen resolution... When are Windows laptops ever going to catch up? It is becoming ridiculous that the majority of these computers still have a 1366x768 resolution.

And are you people still wondering if Apple is really going to release a retina MacBook Air in 2013?

A Chromebook with a 2560x1700 screen... it must be the LG screen showed at CES in January... what a waste of a good display putting it on a ChromeOS-based laptop, which does basically nothing but surf the web.

Yes, I still doubt that Apple will release a retina Macbook Air in 2013. Did you look at the Chromebook? The thickness of the device? I don't believe we've reached a point where Apple can release an Air with retina while not compromising its thickness. Don't get me wrong though, we're not that far away, but I don't think we'll see it this year. Although I'd be pleasantly surprised if that would be the case.

miglesias

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Nice apple-esque cinematography... The coolest thing about this is the galaxy live wallpaper. Anyone know where I can get it as a screensaver?

DeltaRage

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
This is excellent news for the standardization of "Retina" displays. It promises to bring with it website designers who will adapt to them, with fewer non-"Retina" website logos and images.

HarbingerX

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
It seems pretty obvious to me that this is Google's first step at 'getting skin in the game'. Google has tons of cash that it needs to spend and Apple has shown that creating slick hardware at reasonable prices can lead to success (Apple in the bad years produced slick hardware at unreasonable prices - didn't work so well).

No one could be fooled into thinking this machine is viable for a whole host of reasons. But if you spend a few years or so iterating over the design, maybe you get to something decent. If not, you just shelve it and spend your excess billions on something else. I my neck of the woods, that kind of money is called F-U money. That's what this boils down to - a rude finger gesture in Apple's general direction. :)

AmtrakRider

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
I feel like I have to missing something here. A chromebook at $250 starts to look like something that could be useful to some in certain situations, but this thing is just confusing. Why does it need all that hardware to run a web browser and extensions...and at that price?? There has to be either more to this, or its an elaborate joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.