Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

Mr.damien

Next steps for Google: Use Apple's video with Jony Ives and just redo the voices and subtitles.

BTW, it seems that people don't get the purpose of this product. As you all know, Google is earning money by analyzing users data and behavior.

With this one, they will get incredible data about the rich dupe market. Invaluable data to make new products to target them :D

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I like how they showed just some stars and space and stuff instead of real applications. Obviously there is nothing to show on their OS.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
This is another Google Nexus Q. Yeah, it's cool, but what do you get that somebody else doesn't offer for a lower or similar price? If you really like the Chrome experience, just run Chrome on a real machine, like a MacBook Pro.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Crazy price and limited usability.

I don't quite understand it to be honest but then again I haven't really looked at Chrome OS since it was first introduced.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Released for sale with the wrong OS and at the wrong time.

I wonder if we could install Ubuntu or Hackintosh on it. Still, it would make more sense to just buy a MacBook Air and not have to thinker with the OS.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I don't understand the point of this machine. Why wouldn't I just buy an MBA for less money, and install Chrome?

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
On the rMBP the main times when you get something blurry (except for a few ancient apps) is on websites - and this device only goes on the web - kind of seems like a compromise - why do you need such a high resolution monitor when you can't video edit - graphic edit or even app develop or anything which requires a screen like that?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The cheapest rMBP is $1499 and has twice the storage and a faster processor than the Chromebook Pixel. I'm not sure what market Google is aiming for.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Perhaps in Kansas City with the gigabit Internet this machine could work? You would want to be able to take advantage of the speed/screen with some good photo/video editing software though. I don't know what is offered on Chrome in this area though?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Good grief why doesn't google just use a stock intro video from Apple.

:rolleyes:

I thought the exact same thing. Holy freaking crap. That's an absolutely pathetic, blatant ripoff.

Funny, because it's in regard to a product that was meant to compete with an Apple device, but the OS is nowhere near on-par. Not even in the same universe. Someday? Maybe. As-is? Can't even hold a candle to Mac or Windows.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Only those Job's style hangers on who keep going on and on about gorilla arms. A laptop sitting in your lap with the screen angled back slightly would work fine as a touchscreen device.

For five minutes, and then you realise that you're using a laptop. It just isn't pleasant whatever way you try to spin it.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't understand the point of this machine. Why wouldn't I just buy an MBA for less money, and install Chrome?

There's a mix of great and horrible here. To me, it's a great machine with an OS that makes iOS look overly complicated.

As much as I to agree with some of you here, the 13" rMBP is the better deal, since you actually put all that hardware to some good use.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
There's a mix of great and horrible here. To me, it's a great machine with an OS that makes iOS look overly complicated.

As much as I to agree with some of you here, the 13" rMBP is the better deal, since you actually put all that hardware to some good use.

Especially as it boots just as quick anyway - well at least the 15" does.

Renzatic

Suspended
For five minutes, and then you realise that you're using a laptop. It just isn't pleasant whatever way you try to spin it.

Eh. I think that's a matter of opinion more than any solid objective fact. There are tons of people out there getting used to Win8 touchscreen laptops who went from skeptical and unsure to loving the feature, and missing it when it's not around.

My opinion? I could take or leave raw touchscreen support. What I want is an onscreen digitizer.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Amazing how easy it is for Google to rip off not only the device itself, but copy a pre-existing apple video and thesaurus some of the words. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.