Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Lol - u mad bro?

There is actually a formula behind the term "retina". Perhaps it is you who needs to check his facts/research.

Why does it matter what this kid wants/has? Is it offensive to you in some way? I suggest relaxing and simply liking what you like and letting others do the same.

----------

I guess I won't ever understand why larger screen = more advanced.

If anything, the fact Apple can pack better battery life, the efficiency/power of the A6 and the far brighter and more accurate retina display into something as thin and light as the iPhone 5 is more "technologically advanced" than simply increasing the size of the phone because they need to triple the size of the battery to make it last half a day and throw an octa-core processor in there to increase the fluidity of the UI.....

Yes, I exaggerated....slightly :p

Still - if you want a bigger screen and that's your preference, then great! I hope Apple DOES add a larger screen to their lineup. Choice is good. But let's stop pretending that upping the screen size is some technological advancement.

If that were the case, there's a guy here in Dallas who wins (even though his football team hasn't won since 1995 :mad:.....)

Im not mad or hating its funny how some are so biased towards apple.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Im not mad or hating its funny how some are so biased towards apple.

???

I use both platforms and say that I PREFER Apple. I make a TRUE statement about the FACT that the term "retina" has a real mathematical formula behind it.

And I'm "biased towards Apple"? If you mean I prefer it, then yes.

If you mean I'm a blind fanboy, then no. I'd suggest looking in the mirror for that.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
You make a lot of assumptions....

I don't know it you've heard the saying:

"Don't assume. It only makes an ass out you u and me."

In this case though, I'm not the ass....

assuming what?Im not the one who said he has the fastest ram and that pcs need troubleshooting all the time.

the funny thing is I have 2 year old ram on my build right now that will blow the living crap out of that cheap ram in that mac bookpro.

him saying he knows specs and assuming he has the best hardware you can get?

for 3500 bucks I can build you a x79 setup with 12 threads and 64gb of QUAD CHANNEL DDR 2400mhz ram and heck even include the new monster video card that came out today from nvida the gtx titan thats 1000 bucks for just the video card.

ohh wait its apple it has the best hardware you can get lol,let me know when you guys can get a gtx titan in any mac computer,im out have fun guys and my point was with the list of apple products this kid listed he will never leave apple and Im betting Im right after the post about how troublesome pcs are.

tell that to the stock system and banking system the whole country uses and see if any real corporate company uses ios for anything important

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
assuming what?Im not the one who said he has the fastest ram and that pcs need troubleshooting all the time.

the funny this is I have 2 year old ram on my build right now that will blow the living crap out of that cheap ram in that mac bookpro.

for 3500 bucks I can build you a x79 setup with 12 threads and 64gb of QUAD CHANNEL DDR 2400mhz ram and heck even include the new monster video card that came out today from nvida the gtx titan that 1000 bucks for just the video card.

You ASSUME his parents bought him the computer based on the price. You ASSUME he blindly buys Apple without having any idea what's actually in the computer. You ASSUME that just because you think Apple's overpriced, everyone else should as well.

There's a giant factor here that you seem to overlook: OSX vs. Windows. Perhaps for him, a PC was a non-starter because he didn't want to use a Windows machine? I know I factor that in when buying new computers. Some of us choose (knowingly) to pay the "Apple tax" for the build quality and efficiency of both the hardware and software of a Mac.

Remind me why you're on MACrumors again?

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
First off, everyone should try both, because they both offer unique advantages that assist certain kinds of users.

I have tried both, and prefer the iPhone. I love the handful of cool features Android has thats not available to iPhone, I love having a wide range of phones to choose from, but for me, having access to the best library of apps, and a reliable, and intuitive platform holds more value to me.

I agree iOS is starting to look plain after over 5 years with no change to the aesthetics, but I also don't agree on fixing something that's not broken, and changing it just for the sake of change. If they do revamp it, it better be for utility, and function, not just for style. I really don't want to sacrifice an interface thats super cool and flashy, at the cost of more overhead (increased cpu, ram, and battery usage). Apple needs to not lose sight of what they do well.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
You ASSUME his parents bought him the computer based on the price. You ASSUME he blindly buys Apple without having any idea what's actually in the computer. You ASSUME that just because you think Apple's overpriced, everyone else should as well.

There's a giant factor here that you seem to overlook: OSX vs. Windows. Perhaps for him, a PC was a non-starter because he didn't want to use a Windows machine? I know I factor that in when buying new computers. Some of us choose (knowingly) to pay the "Apple tax" for the build quality and efficiency of both the hardware and software of a Mac.

Remind me why you're on MACrumors again?

Oh okay what 16 year old can go on apple.com and freaking max out building the best mac book pro,he legit max built the thing to hit the 3500 mark.Thats a lot of baby sitting to do to get that laptop and please don't act like its not the truth.

yeah I assume it when he posted it the way he did like trying to brag about it.Ohh I have the fastest ram and ill bet my life he dosnt know the speed timings of his ram and just saying its the fastest because its in the MacBook pro

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
for 3500 bucks I can build you a x79 setup with 12 threads and 64gb of QUAD CHANNEL DDR 2400mhz ram and heck even include the new monster video card that came out today from nvida the gtx titan thats 1000 bucks for just the video card.

This is exactly why the Apple haters will never understand why people purchase and enjoy mac computers, and why they have the highest satisfaction rating, and repeat customers. Because you equate specs to quality, and quality to specs.

If I even have to explain what is beyond specs, then debating this with you is a lost cause.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Oh okay what 16 year old can go on apple.com and freaking max out building the best mac book pro,he legit max built the thing to hit the 3500 mark.Thats a lot of baby sitting to do to get that laptop and please don't act like its not the truth.

yeah I assume it when he posted it the way he did like trying to brag about it.Ohh I have the fastest ram and ill bet my life he dosnt know the speed timings of his ram and just saying its the fastest because its in the MacBook pro

Lol....

I worked at Best Buy right out of college with some high school kids who made as much as I did and I made enough to make 3k in a summer.... And these kids worked during the school year as well.

Ultimately, why the hell do you care enough to berate the kid on an internet forum? A Mac-centered forum none the less....

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
you just proved my point,a 16 year old with a 3500 dollar laptop that mom and dad paid for.Now if you really were on a budget you could of got a lot more bang for your buck going with a pc.

pc users don't trouble shoot and you are proving my point that you will buy nothing but apple as you are a 16 year old fanboy

Actually you are totally wrong, I worked hard and long for over a year to save for that laptop. Just because you can't afford a laptop as good as mine you are hating on me, wow, that's not very nice. Didn't I just say I needed a Mac to run Final Cut Pro X, Aperture, Logic Pro, and Adobe CS6, I can't use a PC for that. Btw what about all the other things I said, you have nothing to say about them? Ok I guess I was right then. And no I'm not a "Fanboy" I h*te that term. I am just buying the best quality for what I can afford, if Samsung made a quality phone I would buy that, but right now the iPhone is the highest quality phone out there. Thank-you

----------

the funny thing is I have 2 year old ram on my build right now that will blow the living crap out of that cheap ram in that mac bookpro.

ohh wait its apple it has the best hardware you can get lol,let me know when you guys can get a gtx titan in any mac computer,im out have fun guys and my point was with the list of apple products this kid listed he will never leave apple and Im betting Im right after the post about how troublesome pcs are.

tell that to the stock system and banking system the whole country uses and see if any real corporate company uses ios for anything important

I doubt it, I meant the fastest Ram available for the MacBook Pro, btw how long does your computer take to save a video file from Final Cut Pro X that's 1.5 GB. It takes mine only about a minute, remember this is a laptop.

----------

You make a lot of assumptions....

I don't know it you've heard the saying:

"Don't assume. It only makes an ass out you u and me."

In this case though, I'm not the ass....

Thank-you I worked hard for that laptop, and it makes me annoyed when people assume stuff.

----------

Let me get a few things straight.
1: I'm a guy I didn't babysit, that makes to little money
2: I know all the specs and speed limits of everything on my MacBook
3: Yes I am very proud my of machine, I worked hard for it.
4: Yes I did go to apple.com and max it out, I used my own money and it was very enjoyable seeing all that hard work pay off
5: I only started "Bragging" about it when you said that I am a fanboy and there is no reason to buy a Mac because it's a complete waste of money.
6: I am not trying to be mean, I just wish people wouldn't assume stuff.

----------

This is exactly why the Apple haters will never understand why people purchase and enjoy mac computers, and why they have the highest satisfaction rating, and repeat customers. Because you equate specs to quality, and quality to specs.

If I even have to explain what is beyond specs, then debating this with you is a lost cause.

Exactly, I agree completely, it's not all about the specs (although those are important) it's also about the apple and how they treat there customers.

----------

One more thing, it's also about OSX, I used Windows 7 for 2 years on a really nice laptop. I can't stand using Windows, it's not intuitive and it's ugly and cheap looking. Btw My first post I only listed the Apple products I use, I only started listing the specs when you said "does retina display justify the price" I said no, but this does and I listed the specs.

I hope you all have a great day, I mean that sincerely.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Actually you are totally wrong, I worked hard and long for over a year to save for that laptop. Just because you can't afford a laptop as good as mine you are hating on me, wow, that's not very nice. Didn't I just say I needed a Mac to run Final Cut Pro X, Aperture, Logic Pro, and Adobe CS6, I can't use a PC for that. Btw what about all the other things I said, you have nothing to say about them? Ok I guess I was right then. And no I'm not a "Fanboy" I h*te that term. I am just buying the best quality for what I can afford, if Samsung made a quality phone I would buy that, but right now the iPhone is the highest quality phone out there. Thank-you

----------

I doubt it, I meant the fastest Ram available for the MacBook Pro, btw how long does your computer take to save a video file from Final Cut Pro X that's 1.5 GB. It takes mine only about a minute, remember this is a laptop.

----------

Thank-you I worked hard for that laptop, and it makes me annoyed when people assume stuff.

----------

Let me get a few things straight.
1: I'm a guy I didn't babysit, that makes to little money
2: I know all the specs and speed limits of everything on my MacBook
3: Yes I am very proud my of machine, I worked hard for it.
4: Yes I did go to apple.com and max it out, I used my own money and it was very enjoyable seeing all that hard work pay off
5: I only started "Bragging" about it when you said that I am a fanboy and there is no reason to buy a Mac because it's a complete waste of money.
6: I am not trying to be mean, I just wish people wouldn't assume stuff.

----------

Exactly, I agree completely, it's not all about the specs (although those are important) it's also about the apple and how they treat there customers.

----------

One more thing, it's also about OSX, I used Windows 7 for 2 years on a really nice laptop. I can't stand using Windows, it's not intuitive and it's ugly and cheap looking. Btw My first post I only listed the Apple products I use, I only started listing the specs when you said "does retina display justify the price" I said no, but this does and I listed the specs.

I hope you all have a great day, I mean that sincerely.

Does your MacBook get real hot or loud (fan) during intensive editing etc?

I hear the pros are notorious for hearing up due to the chassis. Just thinking if an air is better to replace my aging laptop in the future or the pro.

Thanks.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm ashamed in both sides right now. PC's are great. Macs are great. iOS is great. Android is great. I prefer windows on my computers, android on my phone, and iOS on my tablets. People behave as if you can only prefer only what a single company makes. Preferences.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

I hear the pros are notorious for hearing up due to the chassis. Just thinking if an air is better to replace my aging laptop in the future or the pro.

Thanks.

Macbook Air has a very noisy fan. The whirring sound is so bad that it gets on your nerve. piece of crap considering the money I paid for it.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I guess I won't ever understand why larger screen = more advanced
I don't think anyone has said a larger screen is more advanced. It is just more convenient for the way I use my phone now, compared to back in 2007. It would be rather trivial, hardware wise, for Apple to increase screen size, and yet they do not, and that is what bothers me.

Michael

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

If a 16 year old or even their parents can buy the kid a nice laptop, who cares? More power to them. If I had a billion dollars, why would I want to live in a run down apartment? You're making a bigger ass of yourself by being jealous of a kid. Get over it, move on, who cares. Enjoy your PC. There are more important things in life.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
and you will never leave apple and will line up to get there next gadget without even a single clue of whats inside.

I love how you mention retina display lol what exactly is retina display and why not just list the res of the screen like every other computer maker.

there is a bunch of retina going around and there are resolutions all over the place

does saying retina make you feel better and justify the reason for paying 2x as much for a laptop or imac? put a cool name and double the price and people will buy it like mad,well apple people that is lol

Retina is quite different from simply having a very high resolution. For example, if you use a 2560x1440 monitor, everything just ends up looking very small. Retina blows everything up (giving you an effective 1280x720 resolution worth of screen real estate), but compensates by making images appear very clear and sharp.

You may not feel that Retina is worth the extra money, but the point here is that Retina does offer a genuine and distinct advantage which even current high-res windows laptops do not (and cannot) offer. If they feel the benefits of Retina is worth the extra monetary outlay, what's it to you?

I challenge you to find me a PC that does the same thing as a Mac at half the price.

In the case of an imac, that high-res 27" screen alone more than takes up half the price. Throw in an integrated docking system, built-in speakers, webcam, microphone and bluetooth keyboard+trackpad, not to mention the software that OSX comes preloaded with. You will not find or be able to assemble an all-in-one computer at that price.

In the case of the macbook, find me a laptop that is as thin and light as the air, while having identical specs. I can assure you that this mythical computer that blows the mac out of the water at half the cost simply does not exist.

So please think twice before shooting your mouth off the next time. Macs may not be cheap, but there is a difference between being overpriced and simply paying more to get more. :)

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I tried a Galaxy Note 2 (yes I rooted and flashed various custom roms) but at the end of the month I just couldn't live without my iPhone 5. Plus I've been meaning to get into App development and I prefer iOS over android any day.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada

Thanks.

It does get quite hot but the noise is almost nonexistent, the MacBook Air however gets really loud and really hot, I wouldn't use it for editing ever. The MacBook Air is designed more for internet browsing and lite editing, plus the processor is only 1.8GHz and the SSD space is quite low.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It does get quite hot but the noise is almost nonexistent, the MacBook Air however gets really loud and really hot, I wouldn't use it for editing ever. The MacBook Air is designed more for internet browsing and lite editing, plus the processor is only 1.8GHz and the SSD space is quite low.

I see. Thanks for the info. Will look into the pro a couple months down once i get the budget all sorted out.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
For a the last few years, I was pretty happy using an iPhone and didn't want to believe that using anything else could make me happy.

The iPhone 5 simply didn't impress me and in January, I cancelled my horrible Verizon service and sold the iPhone 4S. I bought a new 4S and used my AT&T upgrade to get it so I have quite a ways to go on the contract but I am still happy using that 4S.

Two weeks ago, I got bored and decided to order a Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. I am so freakin happy that I did. This phone has been one of the most amazing things I have ever had the pleasure to use. Since 4.2.2 came out, I am going on almost two days with one charge and have been using it for everything from web to XM radio to tethering. This thing has battery life comparable or even better than my 4S.

Last week, I also bought aNexus 7 tablet and having amazingly good time using it as well and the battery life is amazing on it as well. I am so happy that I never bought an iPad mini like I was kind of thinking about.

I really doubt that I will go back to buying another iPhone. I was always there on launch day standing in line to get each iPhone but when the iPhone 5 came out, I was just not excited and still am not.

At my job, my boss sold his iPhone 5 almost a month ago after owning it for just a few months and traded it for a Note 2. He's been very happy with it also and I know no one else who owns anything Apple.

As far as anything else that I own that is Apple, I still own a 2008 black MB and a 2010 MB. I'll keep using them until they break and I'll likely buy another MB but it won't be new. I bought both the MBs on Craigslist. I hate paying Apples premium price although I bought nearly every NEW computer that Apple put out except the mini in 2008 and sold them all a year later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.