Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carrot Time

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
boston
I find pretty much all PowerBooks lag a little - even my 1.67 with the 128mb 9700 struggled a wee bit. I think it's probably more down to the CPU than the GPU. If you download Menumeters you'll be able to see the CPU rocket up while navigating around the dock.

Haha, I downloaded it, and yes, it turns out that I just had too much running :/ the dock just lags in general especially on 3D, oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for my RAM to come.

Carrot Time

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
boston
Just be prepared for all that wonderful speed to come to a screeching slow down. XP is miserably slow on VPC and Win7 is intolerably slow (yeah, I got Win7 to install). Vista might make you want to pound your head against something.

But if you do install Vista, be aware that VPC has BIOS. There's a switch that needs to be changed in the BIOS or the system may not run or allow you to install.

Ugh, you are totally correct. XP is almost unusable, even though I have one of the top G4 systems made, the emulation is unusable and absolute junk!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ugh, you are totally correct. XP is almost unusable, even though I have one of the top G4 systems made, the emulation is unusable and absolute junk!
Yeah, I tend to close every app (including menubar items and background processes) before I run VPC, just to give it as much RAM/CPU as I can. It's just impossible to use for anything more than casual use. You can also turn off all the XP eye candy, but it's only a marginal improvement.

There's also the Q emulator, but it's pretty much the same thing without the stability of the VPC app itself.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
There is also iEmulator as well, which is a copy cat of Q.

Yeah, I tend to close every app (including menubar items and background processes) before I run VPC, just to give it as much RAM/CPU as I can. It's just impossible to use for anything more than casual use. You can also turn off all the XP eye candy, but it's only a marginal improvement.

There's also the Q emulator, but it's pretty much the same thing without the stability of the VPC app itself.

Carrot Time

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
boston
February 22, 2013

- Installed iLife '08, even got iMovie working :)
- Uninstalled VP7, the program sucked :rolleyes:
- Otherwise, not much new news, Leopard has been working well, and upgrades should be here in a week or so :)

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
February 22, 2013

- Installed iLife '08, even got iMovie working :)
- Uninstalled VP7, the program sucked :rolleyes:
- Otherwise, not much new news, Leopard has been working well, and upgrades should be here in a week or so :)

Congratulations on such a wonderful machine<3 ;)

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Ah that is a let down but you should get a little better battery life, I have the hi res and it is pretty good looking. I am thinking about getting rid of it though as it never gets used. If you want the link to the sata adapter I used that fit the sata in with minimal hacking to the drive bay lmk it works great and sort of freshens up such an older device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.