Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Awesome info that i was looking for! Thanks for the advice and insight. Much appreciated! Do apple retail stores change batteries or is that a mail in type job?

one other thing what is the exact screw driver i need to open the mba to clean it up? radioshack have them or buy online someplace?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple Retail Stores can usually change batteries. iFixit and Other World Computing sell screwdrivers that will work with the MacBook Air. Alternatively, an Authorized Apple Service Provider (you can find one here) might be willing to replace the battery and clean out the inside.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Apple Retail Stores can usually change batteries. iFixit and Other World Computing sell screwdrivers that will work with the MacBook Air. Alternatively, an Authorized Apple Service Provider (you can find one here) might be willing to replace the battery and clean out the inside.

KPOM.......

Thank you!!!!!!

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
OK when you have nothing to lose you say WTF! Actually I guess I could have messed my other MBA but whatever!

a tech from apple said try to clean the machine and bring it back in [he said if you dont clean it they wont even try to help once the see the spill]. so i opened the mba cleaned all the wine i could with distilled water and rubbing alcohol. PRISTINE inside now! i brought it in back to apple and they looked at it and said they saw wine and could only fix everything inside for $755. i know they didnt see wine [they were reading the notes from when i brought it in dirty. they were not telling the truth i know it because i clean EVERY drop!

See the computer works plugged in but not without power. it doesnt work on battery power! getting annoyed i went home and opened up two macbook airs the broken one and the good one and i swapped the batteries AND LOW AND BEHOLD the computer works FINE!!!! Woohooo! now where do i buy a replacement battery? ifixit says Out Of Stock!!!

i bought these off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Pi...TF8&qid=1347126677&sr=1-1&keywords=B002O95BJK

followed this from ifixit [thanks KPOM]
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Mid-2011-Battery/6306/1

and the moral of the story is the MBA likes to drink trader joes red wine get F'd up and with a little rest and a shower LOL keeps on ticking!!

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks buddy!

I just need to find a battery replacement.

You can bring the good MacBook Air to an Apple store and buy a replacement battery for it. Alternatively, take it to an authorized repair center that is not an Apple Store, as they won't have a record of the wine spill to the other one. Just say you want to buy a replacement battery.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
You can bring the good MacBook Air to an Apple store and buy a replacement battery for it. Alternatively, take it to an authorized repair center that is not an Apple Store, as they won't have a record of the wine spill to the other one. Just say you want to buy a replacement battery.

i am having a hard time finding a battery. i sent the unit back to apple they must have a record that its liquid damage as they are saying the samed canned answer the store is saying that there is liquid when i know there isnt since i cleaned it.

i asked them to sell me just a battery and they are SO stupid and keep passing me around and around transferring me to one dept after another saying it isnt user upgradable and they cannot sell it to me. saying its soldered to the logic board [when it is not] dummy after dummy.

what is the exact model # or part # i need for a

mba mid 2011 11" is it A1370 or A1375 or is it 661-6081?

is this the battery i need?

can i use this one

35Wh Apple Battery A1406 020-7376-A Fit Macbook Air 11" A1370

http://www.usa-battery.com/35wh-apple-battery-a1406-0207376a-fit-macbook-air-11-a1370-p-38967.html

or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macbook-Air...57025?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item2575051401

thanks

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That looks like the right one. I don't think it has changed since the 2010 version.

Your experience is partly why I'm suggesting an authorized repair center. They are independent businesses that have agreements with Apple. That said, I'd have thought that if you just went in and said you wanted to buy a battery and have it installed they'd do that. As I indicated before, one method may be to swap batteries with your "good" MacBook Air and just have them replace the battery on that one since there is no record of it being spilled on.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
That looks like the right one. I don't think it has changed since the 2010 version.

Your experience is partly why I'm suggesting an authorized repair center. They are independent businesses that have agreements with Apple. That said, I'd have thought that if you just went in and said you wanted to buy a battery and have it installed they'd do that. As I indicated before, one method may be to swap batteries with your "good" MacBook Air and just have them replace the battery on that one since there is no record of it being spilled on.

ahhhh i get it now. i didnt think of doing that. i wanted to be straight up and buy a battery from apple. they are making me crazy and making it hard to be honest. i want to do what you mention now! i did call a few non apple store service centers but non of them had the part in stock blah blah...

or i can buy the battery from either link i posted and all will fit / work fine with my cpu?

thanks again

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The battery on eBay should work just fine, assuming it's a legitimate part.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Just wanted to report back I popped the new battery in and all is well so far.

question: how do i know if its brand new battery?

if the cycle count says 0 in "about this mac" System info" Reports"?

Can someone reset the cycle count? or if its 0 then i am good?

the computer is working great i hope it lasts. thanks for ALL the help!

Last edited:

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
The computer has been working fine since i changed the battery out back in Sept.

All of a sudden the trackpad is giving me issues. anyone know what i can do to fix?

basically in a nutshell it works but the trackpad is very stiff and the click has no more bounce to it if that makes sense.

what is the best remedy? should I take it apart and clean the pad underneath?

thanks!

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
haha i had that thought too. i dont have apple care. i will give it a go.

is this something that is user fixable if they say no ? or dont even attempt it.

thanks

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
haha i had that thought too. i dont have apple care. i will give it a go.

is this something that is user fixable if they say no ? or dont even attempt it.

thanks

I think the trackpad can be easily taken out after you remove the battery, is it giving you a problem if you set it to "tap to click" or you just don't like the feel of the click now? Because if it still recognizes gestures you could essentially fix it for free. By the way I read your other posts on this thread, it's great to see someone with a great attitude even after something like that happened. A lot of people on here would just complain and not be proactive. Thumbs up for that and good luck

Edit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Trackpad/10029/1

Last edited:

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I think the trackpad can be easily taken out after you remove the battery, is it giving you a problem if you set it to "tap to click" or you just don't like the feel of the click now? Because if it still recognizes gestures you could essentially fix it for free. By the way I read your other posts on this thread, it's great to see someone with a great attitude even after something like that happened. A lot of people on here would just complain and not be proactive. Thumbs up for that and good luck

Edit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Trackpad/10029/1

haha great minds i did set it to tap to click which helps a bit. i did open it up remove bat and play with some of the screws loosening them which helped too. but its still not perfect.

thanks for the accolades. i figured WTH might as well make lemonade! the peeps on this site were/are awesome best folks hands down. Thank you too for the information.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Awesome info that i was looking for! Thanks for the advice and insight. Much appreciated! Do apple retail stores change batteries or is that a mail in type job?

one other thing what is the exact screw driver i need to open the mba to clean it up? radioshack have them or buy online someplace?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you go to ifixit.com and look up how to disassemble your air or how to change the air ssd it shows the screwdrivers needed and often times includes a link to buy what you need directly from them.

I spilled fruit punch on my air but the lid was closed so none got inside. its been working fine for about 2 months. i feel for you and really are happy for you that you had the means to replace it so soon. had the juice got inside mine it would have been months for a replacement.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Oh no! All that wine wasted!

hehehe i licked up ;)

if you go to ifixit.com and look up how to disassemble your air or how to change the air ssd it shows the screwdrivers needed and often times includes a link to buy what you need directly from them.

I spilled fruit punch on my air but the lid was closed so none got inside. its been working fine for about 2 months. i feel for you and really are happy for you that you had the means to replace it so soon. had the juice got inside mine it would have been months for a replacement.

after i took it apart now the trackpad is clicking a little better. i will see what apple says. if they blow me off then i will buy the trackpad from ifix and try to well fixit lol

thanks!

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
ok the genius couldnt/wouldnt do anything oow. $120 to fix trackpad which isnt so bad and I would have done it but he said it would take 3 days. i might do it myself or try to find a apple consultant who can do it quicker.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
ok the genius couldnt/wouldnt do anything oow. $120 to fix trackpad which isnt so bad and I would have done it but he said it would take 3 days. i might do it myself or try to find a apple consultant who can do it quicker.

Do ifixit or somewhere sell it?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Well getting a new trackpad means you'll get a new top case… which pretty much means a new keyboard and all the remnants of your wine spill will be forever gone. :)

(Well on the computer chassis anyways)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.