Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
i have not ordered yet but not sure if i should now, im the kind of guy who likes to have the latest and greatest but ive never spent more than 1200 on a computer, and this will be my first time ever dropping more than 2K on a mac/pc. not sure if i should i keep having doubts, i mean its an amazing machine but im a college student and have saved up 2400 which took me a while and would hate if i buy it then to find out this october there will be a new iMac with retina display or something :/
someone tell me whats so great about it so i can just buy it because i feel like not buying and maybe saving a few hundres and buy a Retina Macbook Pro 15

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Go for it, you only live once. You can try it out for a week or so once you get it and if you're still unsure return it for a refund.

Fhantompain

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
North Carolina
its not wether i would like it or not its just man dropping 2400 is just UGH lol

I have been following your posts for a while. I can understand your situation. But after dozens of posts people suggesting you, you have to realize its you who have to make the decision. Please don't expect us to justify your purchase is right or wrong even after you post the same thing like this for next 500 posts. My suggestion would be, go to apple store, grab one that matches your expected specs or close to, use it. If you like it keep it, if you still like it and want more, return it and order online. If you feel like this isn't for you, simply return it and keep the money. I am sure you will know it by yourself once you try it for 14 days. Complaining about 2400 here won't get you the answer you want or the discounts you need. I am sorry if I sound little harsh, but that's what I did with mine. Cheers, no pun intended.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I have been following your posts for a while. I can understand your situation. But after dozens of posts people suggesting you, you have to realize its you who have to make the decision. Please don't expect us to justify your purchase is right or wrong even after you post the same thing like this for next 500 posts. My suggestion would be, go to apple store, grab one that matches your expected specs or close to, use it. If you like it keep it, if you still like it and want more, return it and order online. If you feel like this isn't for you, simply return it and keep the money. I am sure you will know it by yourself once you try it for 14 days. Complaining about 2400 here won't get you the answer you want or the discounts you need. I am sorry if I sound little harsh, but that's what I did with mine. Cheers, no pun intended.

Understood. Thank You! do you think there will be a better iMac coming? by better i mean like something worth upgrading for example the casing of the iMac hasn't changed since 2009. i would buy the iMac in a heart beat knowing future updates would just be a spec bump and not a huge re-design. Like a retina display. Sorry for over posting, this is my second mac and ive never spent this much. i have gone to the apple store, and i loved it.

Fhantompain

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
North Carolina
Understood. Thank You! do you think there will be a better iMac coming? by better i mean like something worth upgrading for example the casing of the iMac hasn't changed since 2009. i would buy the iMac in a heart beat knowing future updates would just be a spec bump and not a huge re-design. Like a retina display. Sorry for over posting, this is my second mac and ive never spent this much. i have gone to the apple store, and i loved it.

Honest to goodness I simply don't know. But if we use the historical data, imac update cycle is 300-600 days. I would say it's safe to assume retina imac wont pop up in 2013. Frankly, I would freak out if it appears even in mid 2014. I don't think Haswell can handle, or the current graphics cards can handle 2880p retina resolution even in 2014. So 2015-16 would be best bet for retina. After you tried it, make sure you get apple care for 119$ with student discount. Worths every penny. Don't look at the initial cost of AppleCare, apple or not it is just a machine, if you are spending 2400 in it, you will want to make sure it lasts at least 3 years. If it doesn't last three years, apple will replace that with the current most up to date imac available with same specs, say if it dies in 2015 with apple care. And I am not saying you are spamming. I am just trying to point out your paradox and decision making status quo. Good luck with your imac no matter you buy it or not, because you are gonna run to apple store tomorrow and grab one just to test drive for 14 days without paying a cent :D

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Honest to goodness I simply don't know. But if we use the historical data, imac update cycle is 300-600 days. I would say it's safe to assume retina imac wont pop up in 2013. Frankly, I would freak out if it appears even in mid 2014. I don't think Haswell can handle, or the current graphics cards can handle 2880p retina resolution even in 2014. So 2015-16 would be best bet for retina. After you tried it, make sure you get apple care for 119$ with student discount. Worths every penny. Don't look at the initial cost of AppleCare, apple or not it is just a machine, if you are spending 2400 in it, you will want to make sure it lasts at least 3 years. If it doesn't last three years, apple will replace that with the current most up to date imac available with same specs, say if it dies in 2015 with apple care. And I am not saying you are spamming. I am just trying to point out your paradox and decision making status quo. Good luck with your imac no matter you buy it or not, because you are gonna run to apple store tomorrow and grab one just to test drive for 14 days without paying a cent :D

2015-2016 for retina? im ok with that, 2-3 years is all i need. my whole point of asking, to make it more clear would be. is $2400 ok on a computer knowing a better one is coming out the same or next year? im ok if the next one has a better processor and all i just really would not like it if the change is insane.

Fhantompain

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
North Carolina
2015-2016 for retina? im ok with that, 2-3 years is all i need. my whole point of asking, to make it more clear would be. is $2400 ok on a computer knowing a better one is coming out the same or next year? im ok if the next one has a better processor and all i just really would not like it if the change is insane.

Yes I don't expect a big change in a year or two like what we just had with this generation and last generation. Hell, I blew 4500 on my first PC once I get to freshman year, all my life savings, haha. Next year, the new components came out, but the major issue I have is there is no combined warranty like AppleCare because I built my own rig. Everytime something fails, its a big headache. I eventually give up fixing and that's how I get to this imac. And to your other question, fusion worths it. You definitely want fusion if you don't like your imac go old pretty quickly. I think there are posts around here about how to disable fusion and manually manage ssd and hdd. It's worth a look, because that's what I would do if I go fusion. (On the real life wise answering your is 2400$ worth spending on a computer is no, lol. I would put that money in Roth IRA or something, but hey, I just spent 4500 on a pc that died after three years. Who am I kidding. It's all up to how much pleasure you will get out of it, and I am sure you will find that out once you test drive imac from apple store)

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Yes I don't expect a big change in a year or two like what we just had with this generation and last generation. Hell, I blew 4500 on my first PC once I get to freshman year, all my life savings, haha. Next year, the new components came out, but the major issue I have is there is no combined warranty like AppleCare because I built my own rig. Everytime something fails, its a big headache. I eventually give up fixing and that's how I get to this imac. And to your other question, fusion worths it. You definitely want fusion if you don't like your imac go old pretty quickly. I think there are posts around here about how to disable fusion and manually manage ssd and hdd. It's worth a look, because that's what I would do if I go fusion. (On the real life wise answering your is 2400$ worth spending on a computer is no, lol. I would put that money in Roth IRA or something, but hey, I just spent 4500 on a pc that died after three years. Who am I kidding. It's all up to how much pleasure you will get out of it, and I am sure you will find that out once you test drive imac from apple store)

did you buy the iMac? yeah i mean i went to test it and it was an experience. $4500 :0000 geez i would not spend that much lol. yeah i think i will go with fusion and will get apple care as well. Imagine those who recently bought a maxed out iMac Early 2012 lol damm

Fhantompain

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
North Carolina
Yes after three months of following posts here and after ssd price drop. I ordered it on February 14. I7 8gb 680mx and 768ssd. I was about to go with fusion and upgrade the ssd myself, then, i told myself enough with tinkering things. Besides, if you spend above 2000 on something, why would you want to open it up and void the warranty, so i bit the bullet. SSD is like the best thing ever happened to pcs in this decade. I would never have another computer without ssd again :D. Get the fusion, and if you are feeling you are still rich, get an external thunderbolt like seagate and hook it up with 128gb ssd which are fairly less than 100$ now and external boot windows from it. There are some threads about how to do it properly. If you order imac, make sure you check for dead pixels at least. Dont let anyone tell you that you are being too sensitive or OCD, its your machine, you paid 2.5 grand for it. You deserve at least perfect machine(fan boys are gonna jump on me for saying this). Post the pictures and videos even if its only your test drive. :D

J. Rab

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
IMO don't get it. Here's the thing about iMacs (or any computer really) -- unless you really need it and find that it'll be useful to you and can actually help you generate money to pay itself back -- don't get it. Esp if you're in college and struggling to save up money. At this point an iMac is a luxury item that you shouldn't sacrifice something you actually need for.

And if you do need an iMac and it will be useful, just get it. Dont wait around for the next bigger and badder thing cuz then you'll always be waiting.

Just my two cents. Good luck bro!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Yes after three months of following posts here and after ssd price drop. I ordered it on February 14. I7 8gb 680mx and 768ssd. I was about to go with fusion and upgrade the ssd myself, then, i told myself enough with tinkering things. Besides, if you spend above 2000 on something, why would you want to open it up and void the warranty, so i bit the bullet. SSD is like the best thing ever happened to pcs in this decade. I would never have another computer without ssd again :D. Get the fusion, and if you are feeling you are still rich, get an external thunderbolt like seagate and hook it up with 128gb ssd which are fairly less than 100$ now and external boot windows from it. There are some threads about how to do it properly. If you order imac, make sure you check for dead pixels at least. Dont let anyone tell you that you are being too sensitive or OCD, its your machine, you paid 2.5 grand for it. You deserve at least perfect machine(fan boys are gonna jump on me for saying this). Post the pictures and videos even if its only your test drive. :D
haha ok looks like im going to go for it. naw, ill just stick with 1TB fusion, cant afford the thunderbolt SSD. like i said before i dont need space just the speed ha. im also buying a 60" 3D samsung tv, so im really not looking forward to spend more on the imac other than the fusion and apple care. im DONE haha

yUnoNinja

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
PDX
I ordered a, 21.5, i7 3.2, 1tb fusion, 16g ram, and canceled my order on Feb 18..........only to reorder a 27in, i7 3.4, 1tb fusion, 8g ram, 675mx. I CAN'T WAIT!!! Won't get till March 14-21 tho:(

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I ordered a, 21.5, i7 3.2, 1tb fusion, 16g ram, and canceled my order on Feb 18..........only to reorder a 27in, i7 3.4, 1tb fusion, 8g ram, 675mx. I CAN'T WAIT!!! Won't get till March 14-21 tho:(

WOOHO!!! March 14-21? Dam
hey i dont know if you've heard but i've been reading some posts and many people are complaining that the new iMac keeps freezing when using FCPX

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
IMO don't get it. Here's the thing about iMacs (or any computer really) -- unless you really need it and find that it'll be useful to you and can actually help you generate money to pay itself back -- don't get it. Esp if you're in college and struggling to save up money. At this point an iMac is a luxury item that you shouldn't sacrifice something you actually need for.

And if you do need an iMac and it will be useful, just get it. Dont wait around for the next bigger and badder thing cuz then you'll always be waiting.

Just my two cents. Good luck bro!

thanks bro, i dont need it right now but in a couple of months i will. once i buy the iMac, it will be the only computer i would have. there are other things i want to do like graphoc designing and things. its just that 2400 is a lot of money. i ask myself all the time, man there are tons of threads of iMacs 27's maxed out, and im thinking.. what kind of jobs do these people have? always upgrading and stuff. after buying the imac i will be left with 400 bucks and well i do have a weekend job but i just didnt want to spend 2400 but looks like my future will need the power, since ill be programming.(Objetive c, c++, php and probably doing some photoshopping within the coming months.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Why don't you finance it? You'd still be spending 2400 on it, but it would be spread out in a very manageable way. And you should find out if you need the high end iMac instead of just getting even one of the 21 inch iMacs with some better specs, you'll be under 2k for sure.

And AppleCare, get it.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
haha ok looks like im going to go for it. naw, ill just stick with 1TB fusion, cant afford the thunderbolt SSD. like i said before i dont need space just the speed ha. im also buying a 60" 3D samsung tv, so im really not looking forward to spend more on the imac other than the fusion and apple care. im DONE haha

So ... you're a poor college student who has created several threads here agonizing over buying a computer to do your homework and research with ... yet you don't give a second thought to also buying a 60" 3D Samsung TV? :eek: :) :rolleyes:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
So ... you're a poor college student who has created several threads here agonizing over buying a computer to do your homework and research with ... yet you don't give a second thought to also buying a 60" 3D Samsung TV? :eek: :) :rolleyes:

the reason i came up with this much money was because im selling my current 42" to my uncle. when i bought the tv i was short on money, now that i have over 3K hey might as well go for a bad ass tv :) lol.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
the reason i came up with this much money was because im selling my current 42" to my uncle. when i bought the tv i was short on money, now that i have over 3K hey might as well go for a bad ass tv :) lol.

If you're still going to get the money then don't buy it, never buy anything unless you have the cash on hand to pay it off in full. No matter who you're selling to, you don't know what could happen. I would be all up for you getting one, but just save your money for now.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
If you're still going to get the money then don't buy it, never buy anything unless you have the cash on hand to pay it off in full. No matter who you're selling to, you don't know what could happen. I would be all up for you getting one, but just save your money for now.

i do have the cash on hand. FULL

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
i do have the cash on hand. FULL

Okay, that didn't make sense to me because you said you were still selling the TV to your Uncle. I would seriously consider financing it, it can only help you in the long run. Keep 3/4 of the cash for the computer in a new separate bank account and set it to take out the payments every month.

Then fill in the last 1/4 by the time the 18 month financing is coming to a close. You won't be left without cash, which blows as a college student I was there when I was only studying, now with my business and my own hours I can make money on my time. But don't leave yourself with no savings, that's never a good idea. Always leave overhead, because things happen like your car breaking down or needing a replacement part, a physical injury.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Okay, that didn't make sense to me because you said you were still selling the TV to your Uncle. I would seriously consider financing it, it can only help you in the long run. Keep 3/4 of the cash for the computer in a new separate bank account and set it to take out the payments every month.

Then fill in the last 1/4 by the time the 18 month financing is coming to a close. You won't be left without cash, which blows as a college student I was there when I was only studying, now with my business and my own hours I can make money on my time. But don't leave yourself with no savings, that's never a good idea. Always leave overhead, because things happen like your car breaking down or needing a replacement part, a physical injury.

You jinxed it! Lol my car is not starting. I think its the battery

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
You jinxed it! Lol my car is not starting. I think its the battery

Damn haha, that's what I'm talking about though. Overhead! Always have a little extra in case something happens. For me, "a little extra" means a couple thousand in a separate account that I do not touch haha.

Sorry to hear about your car! Hopefully it isn't anything major.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.