Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
fishmd
macrumors 65816

Graft Concepts Leverage for iPhone 5

Ok, so I finally got this case after pre-ordering it 2 months ago when it was announced. I had the initial version of this case when it came out for the iPhone 4 and returned it at that time for a refund from the company due to some poor build quality issues and the fact that at that time, the way the clasp was designed, it came in contact with the metal band of the phone and would actually scuff it. At the time their " fix" was to basically put a piece of tape on the metal bezel of the phone to cover the spot. Not so great...

Fast forward to this case. Now I only got it yesterday, so I have not had a lot of time with it, but wanted to give some first impressions.

This case is very well designed. It has been slimmed down from the iPhone 4/4S version despite what some people thought when seeing some of the pictures that Graft posted of this case. It is in keeping with the slimmer profile of the iPhone 5, which is nice. I got the black soft touch case with the matte clasp. Looks very classy and feels great in the hand. Only time will tell though how well the matte finish holds up as I am always leery about that stuff chipping and/or peeling up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850157.669940.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	396871

As to the buttons, these are very likely done. The tactile feedback is great on both the power button as well as the volume rocker. A nice audible click is made with each press, just like the naked iPhone buttons do. I am really glad they added the metal rocker button for the volume keys in this addition. It is a really nice touch and makes the case more classy in my opinions.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850305.828223.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	396872Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850317.901028.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	396873

As to the cutouts, they are well done and VERY precise. And this is where there is a drawback to this case. The cutouts for the headphones as well as the lightening cable are so precise, that I think you would have difficulty using cables or headphones other than Apples. While I do not have one, I am pretty certain that there would be no way this would be compatible with the 30 pin to lightening adapter either. Other headphones would work, but would need to have connections similar in size to Apple's.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850515.732134.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	396875

The backplate that this comes with is nice. It fits right in with the rest of the case. One knock though I would say is how big they made the camera cutout. I really don't understand why so many case companies are doing this now. It does not need to be so big people! The flash isn't all that bright! Man. Since I pre-ordered, I will also get the credit card back plate sent to me for free, but it is not available just yet so I will have to wait on that one.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850843.760261.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	396877

Then of course there is the clasp. This is just beautiful. I loved the design of the old one, and this one is basically just the same. The one really nice thing now though is that there is no spot where the clasp comes into contact with the phone's bezel. They changes the design to where there is now plastic molded into the case into the spot where the clasp previously came into contact with the phone. (And this is actually something Graft did a while back when they redesigned the original case as well.)

So all in all, this is a really classy looking case that is well designed and in my opinion does not take away from the design of the iPhone 5. I think it actually enhances it in a way. For 50$ it is not the cheapest case out there, but well priced for what it is.
fishmd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Six8
macrumors 6502a

Looks great! I was gonna give them a try but my wife has this on her 4s and it has gotten loose and creaky
Six8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:35 AM   #3
JonMPLS
macrumors 65816

thanks for the nice photos! I have one on order too, so hope it arrives soon.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:08 PM   #4
swoosh0217
macrumors 6502a

Very Nice. I cant wait to get mine. This is totally a very classy bumper case.
swoosh0217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Robby29
macrumors newbie

Someone should try this with a trunket skin! Would look sick!
Robby29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Mine just showed up and I also think it looks great. I'm not using the backplate as I think it looks great without it and I like to see the phone. If they came out with a clear one I'd prob put that on but the extra space supplied for the backplate gives it sweet L.O.T design. Hinge has always looked nice and doesn't appear to be a scratching issue... I however use edge protection (as anyone wanting to protect their phone should) so scratching wouldn't be an issue anyway. Volume button(s) is also pretty sweet looking and feels great.

It also works no issues with a glass screen protector, I know that was one of the complaints about the i4/s version. I have the PURE and it shows no signs of lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby29 View Post
Someone should try this with a trunket skin! Would look sick!
Gonna order the orange/blood red and see how it looks.

Last edited by AFDoc; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:18 PM   #7
map1978
macrumors 68020

It amazes me that these companies still use awkward camera cutouts

Looks awful when you can see the aluminum part of the phone
Spigen, Switcheasy, and Incipio get it right

Personal opinion of course
map1978 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Robby29
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Mine just showed up and I also think it looks great. I'm not using the backplate as I think it looks great without it and I like to see the phone. If they came out with a clear one I'd prob put that on but the extra space supplied for the backplate gives it sweet L.O.T design. Hinge has always looked nice and doesn't appear to be a scratching issue... I however use edge protection (as anyone wanting to protect their phone should) so scratching wouldn't be an issue anyway. Volume button(s) is also pretty sweet looking and feels great.

It also works no issues with a glass screen protector, I know that was one of the complaints about the i4/s version. I have the PURE and it shows no signs of lifting.

Gonna order the orange/blood red and see how it looks.

I also have this case n not using the backplate. It seems much better n wayyyy lighter lol.. Can't wait for u to get that trunket skin!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Six8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
It amazes me that these companies still use awkward camera cutouts

Looks awful when you can see the aluminum part of the phone
Spigen, Switcheasy, and Incipio get it right

Personal opinion of course
Totally agree!
Six8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
Love my case! Fits the Atelier Pall perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360990305.027259.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	397222  
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:06 PM   #11
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I also have this case n not using the backplate. It seems much better n wayyyy lighter lol.. Can't wait for u to get that trunket skin!
Placed my order for a red one.... found a coupon so got $5 lol... basically free shipping.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:03 AM   #12
fishmd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyboy View Post
Oh nice. That Atelier Pall case is on my list. I have been eyeing it for months. So this case fits right into there with no problems? Not too tight?
fishmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:44 PM   #13
LostAggie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyboy View Post
Did you get the "bumper" version?
LostAggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:00 PM   #14
junebug1
macrumors regular

Got mine today and have nothing but good things to report. Much better quality than the initial versions of the predecessor. Fit is perfect. Can't wait for the credit card insert. Rocker buttons are solid. Hinge doesn't appear to scratch like previous ones. All in all a great case that is worthy of the price.

Also just to let everyone know - the case works flawlessly with Spigen Glas.tr assuming you install it correctly (ie. aligned straight)
junebug1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:39 PM   #15
dwa2011
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAggie View Post
Just to clear up this, every Graft Concepts Leverage is both a bumper case and a full case. The back plate is a nice hard plastic that you can choose to have in or not. Its a nice way to change things up. Hope this helps out!

Oh, and I just got my Leverage in the mail and I can not believe that I am saying this, but it is better than the Leverage for the iPhone 4/4S! I love it. If you guys have any questions, send them my way. I will be giving away a white/chrome case eventually along with a complete review!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:48 AM   #16
JonMPLS
macrumors 65816

one classy case!

Just arrived today. It is pretty impressive. Kind of a retro look. Looking forward to the credit card back too.

Interest to see if anyone reports scratches. Looks like only plastic will contact the phone, even under the rocker for the volume. Any of you take yours off yet to check for scratches?

hmm, I have the black--wonder how the white Leverage would look on the black iphone . . .

Last edited by JonMPLS; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
JonMPLS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmd View Post
Oh nice. That Atelier Pall case is on my list. I have been eyeing it for months. So this case fits right into there with no problems? Not too tight?
It's a tight fit. I feel is best because the phone won't slip out of the Atelier pouch. No problems for me, I just give the sides a little squeeze and out it comes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAggie View Post
Yes I got the bumper version of the Alteier.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:07 PM   #18
fishmd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMPLS View Post
Just arrived today. It is pretty impressive. Kind of a retro look. Looking forward to the credit card back too.

Interest to see if anyone reports scratches. Looks like only plastic will contact the phone, even under the rocker for the volume. Any of you take yours off yet to check for scratches?

hmm, I have the black--wonder how the white Leverage would look on the black iphone . . .
I took mine off after it being on for a few days. No problems so far.
fishmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:39 PM   #19
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
boom goes the dynamite!

I wanted to shoot some pics so simply laid it on the back and thought there would be a problem.... it didn't fit within the case. No prob, pop it open, lay it down, close it up and wham! It's held in place as the regular/credit card back would be. I have blown down the camera hole and have tried to lift with a finger nail and have not been able to do so... I believe it will stay as placed. I think it looks freaking sweet! Now that I know I won't have to use the adhesive I think I'll order the orange.
I did go back and make sure it was a bit more secure so it's not poking up at the bottom like in the pic on the R.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	398634   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	398635  

Last edited by AFDoc; Feb 21, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
AFDoc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:17 PM   #20
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Here's one with a black Trunket

Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Robby29
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
boom goes the dynamite!

I wanted to shoot some pics so simply laid it on the back and thought there would be a problem.... it didn't fit within the case. No prob, pop it open, lay it down, close it up and wham! It's held in place as the regular/credit card back would be. I have blown down the camera hole and have tried to lift with a finger nail and have not been able to do so... I believe it will stay as placed. I think it looks freaking sweet! Now that I know I won't have to use the adhesive I think I'll order the orange.
I did go back and make sure it was a bit more secure so it's not poking up at the bottom like in the pic on the R.
LOOKS GOOD! so your saying you can place the backplate without using the adhesive it comes with? looks like i would be ordering one!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post

thats sexy!!!
Robby29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Enforce
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Quote:

now who is the person who made the Leverage & Trunket match a de-facto standard since the iphone 4?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:33 PM   #23
Robby29
macrumors newbie

I wonder if this trick for the iphone 4 work the same for the iPhone 5 graft concept

http://blog.graftconcepts.com/2011/1...ng-the-iphone/
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:58 PM   #24
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Is that yours? Did you use the adhesive? Looks very nice in black.

Quote:
I wonder if this trick for the iphone 4 work the same for the iPhone 5 graft concept
What I don't like about that one is how the wood is so high above the case. I guess that would be typical with any application that didn't involve a lipped case.

Last edited by AFDoc; Feb 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:23 PM   #25
dwa2011
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMPLS View Post
quick picks for ya (sorry they are average quality)
White/Chrome on Black iPhone

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	398852

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	398853

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	398854

Last edited by dwa2011; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: explanation for poor quality. lol
dwa2011 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories