Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 5 Screen Repair: Would you just purchase the digitizer glass or full assembly?

• Total voters

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
California
Even with people being aware that the LCD and digitizer glass of the iPhone 4 and 4S are fused together, many people still purchase just the digitizer glass and try to attempt to separate the two so they can repair a cracked screen. The problem is, the LCD and digitizer are fused together during the manufacturing process, which makes the separation of the LCD and digitizer impossible. While you can separate the two, it is not possible to do so without damaging the LCD.

Now knowing that the iPhone 5 LCD and Digitizer are fused together, would any of you still try to do the screen repair just using the digitizer, or would you opt to get the full LCD Digitizer assembly (which is already fused together.)

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Even with people being aware that the LCD and digitizer glass of the iPhone 4 and 4S are fused together, many people still purchase just the digitizer glass and try to attempt to separate the two so they can repair a cracked screen. The problem is, the LCD and digitizer are fused together during the manufacturing process, which makes the separation of the LCD and digitizer impossible. While you can separate the two, it is not possible to do so without damaging the LCD.

Now knowing that the iPhone 5 LCD and Digitizer are fused together, would any of you still try to do the screen repair just using the digitizer, or would you opt to get the full LCD Digitizer assembly (which is already fused together.)

I've seen videos of both methods... and separating the glass and digitizer gets messy..

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
California
I've seen videos of both methods... and separating the glass and digitizer gets messy..

Definitely.. The problem with separating the digitizer from the LCD is that even if you are able to separate the two, the LCD ends up getting all scratched and damaged (if it doesnt become completely useless.) Adhesive residue is also left on the LCD which makes it not so nice

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I only buy the complete assembly for our repairs. There is actually a pretty funny video of a guy trying to separate the two with an X-Acto knife. Ends in blood, not surprisingly.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
California
I only buy the complete assembly for our repairs. There is actually a pretty funny video of a guy trying to separate the two with an X-Acto knife. Ends in blood, not surprisingly.

LOL! Care to share the link? I don't believe I've seen that one yet.

I wonder if he ended up getting the LCD and digitizer separated. Hell if I drew blood during a repair you better be sure its going to be successful in some way, shape or form lol

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'd go with the full assembly. Not that I would ever try and do this myself. I am way too mechanically inept to ever try something like this.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Too many potential issues with trying to separate the digitizer from the LCD and then getting the new digitizer... you can break the LCD, get a hair or piece of dust in between the LCD and digitizer when fusing them back together, etc... not worth the time, effort, and possible wasted money.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
California
Too many potential issues with trying to separate the digitizer from the LCD and then getting the new digitizer... you can break the LCD, get a hair or piece of dust in between the LCD and digitizer when fusing them back together, etc... not worth the time, effort, and possible wasted money.

You point out a couple great points here.

1) Getting dust between the LCD and Digitizer- The LCD and Digitizer are fused together during manufacturing specifically to avoid dust and other debris from getting stuck between the two components.

2) Fusing the digitizer and LCD back together- There is no way to fuse them back together. The cheap quality assemblies are manufactured using cheap adhesive. However, the high quality LCD Digitizer assemblies are manufactured using a high quality optical adhesive which makes for better viewing of the LCD, and a stronger hold.

----------

I'd go with the full assembly. Not that I would ever try and do this myself. I am way too mechanically inept to ever try something like this.

With the iPhone 5 screen replacement, it really is not a difficult repair. MUCH more difficult than the iPhone 4/ 4S repair.

The iPhone 5 LCD Digitizer can be accessed from the front of the phone, and can actually be swapped out within 5 minutes.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
LOL! Care to share the link? I don't believe I've seen that one yet.

I wonder if he ended up getting the LCD and digitizer separated. Hell if I drew blood during a repair you better be sure its going to be successful in some way, shape or form lol

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltl0Lins1uo
Its actually a little humorous. I'm sure it could be done easier, but it does showcase the silliness of trying to do it just to save $25 or so.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Considering that on the iPhone 5, the digitiser and the LCD are embedded in the glass, I'd have to say that it's a non-issue of impossibility and you need to buy the full assembly.

KaosUnlock

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016

Now knowing that the iPhone 5 LCD and Digitizer are fused together, would any of you still try to do the screen repair just using the digitizer, or would you opt to get the full LCD Digitizer assembly (which is already fused together.)[/QUOT

WE FIX ALL PHONE MODEL ISSUES, TABLETS PROBLEMS, LAPTOPS AND MACBOOK SCREENS INCLUDING Kindles / BLU / Mega / Boost Max / Blackberry / ZTE / HTC / Samsung Tab / Alcatel / Asus Tab / Nexus Tab / iPhone / iPad / iPod / Samsung phones / LG / Nexus / we fix it all and many more

BROKEN SCREEN? CHARGING PORTS? IPAD/TABLET REPAIRS? LAPTOP LCDS? COLOR CONVERSION? AUDIO SOUND PROBLEMS? NOT CHARGING? WATER DAMAGE? HEADPHONE JACKS?
OS SYSTEM PROBLEMS? BATTERY PROBLEMS? MIC PROBLEMS?

DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS? WE'LL TELL YOU - DIAGNOSTICS ARE FREE WITH REPAIR.

http://www.theunlockkings.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.