Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I just bought Apple TV and I have Mac mini connected through minidisplayport. I need to connect additional monitor and Apple TV to my Mac mini simultaneously, so need to connect 3 devices to Mac mini. I heard that it is possible by special device - splitter, but do not know what model exactly. Please help me how to do?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I just bought Apple TV and I have Mac mini connected through minidisplayport. I need to connect additional monitor and Apple TV to my Mac mini simultaneously, so need to connect 3 devices to Mac mini. I heard that it is possible by special device - splitter, but do not know what model exactly. Please help me how to do?

You can't hook an Appletv into a Mac mini.... Are you trying to hook both the mini and the Appletv to a particular monitor?!? I guess I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
also not sure you question, the ATV does not "hook up" to any computer it can be used to mirror certain computers, Airplay Itunes and certain iOS apps, and be used as a homesharing device if you have homesharing enabled and running in iTunes on a computer but there is not phyical connection

graes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
also not sure you question, the ATV does not "hook up" to any computer it can be used to mirror certain computers, Airplay Itunes and certain iOS apps, and be used as a homesharing device if you have homesharing enabled and running in iTunes on a computer but there is not phyical connection

So you mean that there is no way how to display my videos on the both devices (Apple TV and monitor, first) simultaneously?

----------

You can't hook an Appletv into a Mac mini.... Are you trying to hook both the mini and the Appletv to a particular monitor?!? I guess I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

Now I have Mac Mini with a connected monitor. I just want to connect my Mac to send the same picture to the Apple TV and Monitors.

Last edited:

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Yes, the functions is the same, but this solution will work for 1 monitor only, I need to get at least 3 devices (4 would be ideal).
And I affraid that this Mac is older...

What year is your mini? Maybe it will operate both monitors through a dual display setup.

graes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
If its the all-aluminum case, then it has mini-display and HDMI ports. You can drive to monitors right from the mac mini.

Well, it is not all-aluminium :(
But I still do not understand how to connect.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Well, it is not all-aluminium :(
But I still do not understand how to connect.

If you bought it new, then it probably has the mini DVI and minidisplay ports. Either way your machine can have two monitors connected to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.