Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Richy21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
AT&T Blacklist Question?

Does AT&T blacklist phones?

I plan on selling some old phones, but am wondering if AT&T blacklist phones.
My issue is I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS i want to sell to pay off my bill for my iPhone 5. AT&T currently cut my line until I pay my bill, so I'm wondering if they blacklisted my old phones. My 2 year contracts on the other phones have been completed, the only contract I have with them currently is for the iPhone 5.

Both are cim card phones, and the iphone 4 is gsm.

Will the buyer have any problem activating the phones with AT&T considering the contracts for those phones have been completed except for my current contract on my iPhone 5.

Thanks.

Last edited by Richy21; Feb 22, 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Richy21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy21 View Post
Does AT&T blacklist phones?

I plan on selling some old phones, but am wondering if AT&T blacklist phones.
My issue is I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS i want to sell to pay off my bill for my iPhone 5. AT&T currently cut my line until I pay my bill, so I'm wondering if they blacklisted my old phones. My 2 year contracts on the other phones have been completed, the only contract I have with them currently is for the iPhone 5.

Both are cim card phones, and the iphone 4 is gsm.

Will the buyer have any problem activating the phones with AT&T considering the contracts for those phones have been completed except for my current contract on my iPhone 5.

Thanks.
They only blacklist devices if the customer asks them to and if the device is reported lost or stolen.
Not because you didnt pay your bill. Verizon and Sprint only does that not AT&T or Tmobile.
The old cellphones will work and activate fine with any other AT&T sim.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
According to howardforums, AT&T and TMo blacklist devices that have been used on accounts that have been suspended for non payment.

So you can't skip your contract and sell your subsidized phone for a few bucks.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Richy21
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
They only blacklist devices if the customer asks them to and if the device is reported lost or stolen.
Not because you didnt pay your bill. Verizon and Sprint only does that not AT&T or Tmobile.
The old cellphones will work and activate fine with any other AT&T sim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
According to howardforums, AT&T and TMo blacklist devices that have been used on accounts that have been suspended for non payment.

So you can't skip your contract and sell your subsidized phone for a few bucks.
I'm sure they would block my phones currently in contract, but am wondering about the old phones that have been out of contract. As in the 2-year contract on them have expired. The only phone that is in contract is my current iPhone 5.

Do they block all the phones including the old ones that are out of contract/use?
Richy21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy21 View Post
I'm sure they would block my phones currently in contract, but am wondering about the old phones that have been out of contract. As in the 2-year contract on them have expired. The only phone that is in contract is my current iPhone 5.

Do they block all the phones including the old ones that are out of contract/use?
I'm not sure how they could, you've paid for the phone (unless you were as delinquent on your previous accounts as you are on this one).
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Richy21
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
I'm not sure how they could, you've paid for the phone (unless you were as delinquent on your previous accounts as you are on this one).
On the previous contracts, there was no issue. The 2 year contracts on the other old phones where fully paid. Just waiting for my check to pay off my current bill next week. I'll give AT&T a call when I get home.
Richy21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
According to howardforums, AT&T and TMo blacklist devices that have been used on accounts that have been suspended for non payment.

So you can't skip your contract and sell your subsidized phone for a few bucks.
I never heard of such thing with AT&T and Tmobile.
Did it just start happening now?
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy21 View Post
Does AT&T blacklist phones?

I plan on selling some old phones, but am wondering if AT&T blacklist phones.
My issue is I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS i want to sell to pay off my bill for my iPhone 5. AT&T currently cut my line until I pay my bill, so I'm wondering if they blacklisted my old phones. My 2 year contracts on the other phones have been completed, the only contract I have with them currently is for the iPhone 5.

Both are cim card phones, and the iphone 4 is gsm.

Will the buyer have any problem activating the phones with AT&T considering the contracts for those phones have been completed except for my current contract on my iPhone 5.

Thanks.
Only someone with access to your account can tell you that. Why not call att and get a definite answer instead of relying on speculation.
617aircav is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I never heard of such thing with AT&T and Tmobile.
Did it just start happening now?
I guess it makes sense (though I haven't heard of it before). The key is that it's a subsidized phone on contract, if you have a phone you own they'll probably just shut off service.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Richy21
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I tested an old prepaid sim card that had balance and was able to make calls on the 3GS, both are GSM. So I'm guessing they are fine.
Richy21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:41 PM   #11
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I never heard of such thing with AT&T and Tmobile.
Did it just start happening now?
Yeah, they started the centralized block list around November I think.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
]OP, I don't mean to be a dick, but honestly, pick up the phone and ask the CS rep at AT&T. People without standing who don't really know how the subtleties of your situation are answering. They can be all wrong. It's guess work.

Geez, I don't know why people don't go to the company to get their take on this. Then research your own contract to verify if the info is correct.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Richy21
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
]OP, I don't mean to be a dick, but honestly, pick up the phone and ask the CS rep at AT&T. People without standing who don't really know how the subtleties of your situation are answering. They can be all wrong. It's guess work.

Geez, I don't know why people don't go to the company to get their take on this. Then research your own contract to verify if the info is correct.
I did.
Richy21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Up unto post 10 you seemed to still be operating from guess work. I'm interested, what did you learn about your specific case?
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Richy21
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Up unto post 10 you seemed to still be operating from guess work. I'm interested, what did you learn about your specific case?
The phones were no longer in contract/use, told me to do what ever I flipping wanted. Other than that I had to call a few times after each representative had no idea what I was talking about or was just too damn lazy and would put me in hold until the call disconnected. Like any other support number.

Edit: They also told me to give the buyer my unlock number after I sell it? I have no idea what he/she meant by this.. the lock screen code?

Last edited by Richy21; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Richy21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will ATT blacklist a phone over a bill? mclld iPhone 24 Jan 2, 2014 12:10 AM
Carrier: IF you fail to pay your bill will T-mobile blacklist your imei? mplayers2005 iPhone 11 Oct 24, 2013 05:03 PM
Just seen the lead character on the blacklist with the iPhone SilentLoner iPhone 0 Oct 15, 2013 12:12 AM
The BlackList 4.0 - Debtors/Creditors Verin iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Oct 3, 2013 05:28 AM
IMEI blacklist. al821 iPhone 9 Nov 5, 2012 05:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC