Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:06 AM   #1
thatoneguy784
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 data only from iPad mini

Since I saw this article on how the writer used a Nexus 7 as a data only phone, I've been on a mission to try and figure out how to do this with an iPad mini or iPhone 5. Then, I got to thinking about SIM cards and such and stumbled upon this thread here on MacRumors. Basically, I want to get some feedback on if you guys think this would work.

I'm currently using an iPhone 4S on Verizon. My master plan is to buy an iPad mini from an Apple store and set up the 2GB/month plan on it. Then, I would upgrade to an iPhone 5 over my current 4S. After swapping the SIMs and confirming that the mini SIM works in the 5, I would then terminate my previous contract. This would leave me with an iPhone 5 with a data-only SIM and $30/month. I would then put the original 5 SIM (now clean) into the mini and return it, thus reducing my costs. (I'm aware that I'm paying for a termination fee and such)

So, what are your thoughts? Too much effort? Shady to buy the mini for the SIM and then return it? Won't work? Let me know.
thatoneguy784 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
icanhazapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy784 View Post
Since I saw this article on how the writer used a Nexus 7 as a data only phone, I've been on a mission to try and figure out how to do this with an iPad mini or iPhone 5. Then, I got to thinking about SIM cards and such and stumbled upon this thread here on MacRumors. Basically, I want to get some feedback on if you guys think this would work.

I'm currently using an iPhone 4S on Verizon. My master plan is to buy an iPad mini from an Apple store and set up the 2GB/month plan on it. Then, I would upgrade to an iPhone 5 over my current 4S. After swapping the SIMs and confirming that the mini SIM works in the 5, I would then terminate my previous contract. This would leave me with an iPhone 5 with a data-only SIM and $30/month. I would then put the original 5 SIM (now clean) into the mini and return it, thus reducing my costs. (I'm aware that I'm paying for a termination fee and such)

So, what are your thoughts? Too much effort? Shady to buy the mini for the SIM and then return it? Won't work? Let me know.

I've been thinking about doing something similar - I ordered an unactivated nano SIM off of eBay and I'm going to try to get VZW to activate it over the phone after I tell them it will be used in a 4G USB stick I already own. I'll let you know how it goes, I should receive the SIM by mid-week.
icanhazapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

I don't think it makes sense to put the phone SIM into the iPad mini when returning it. It would probably seem less shady to the store employee if you just returned it with no SIM and claimed that you lost it.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy784 View Post

There are a couple of videos on YouTube of iPad mini's using a tmobile sim.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
thatoneguy784
macrumors newbie

So after some more consideration (deliberation, waffling, etc) I bought a Verizon LTE mifi device and plan on using the SIM from that instead of buying a mini. I'll have to trim it but it seems to be working for everyone else. Also, I plan on waiting for the 5S/6 to be released and make a decision on what device to go with at that time.

Thanks for the replies!
thatoneguy784 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
aneftp
macrumors 68040

I have an add a line with verizon grandfathered true unlimited lte data for $30. So even witht the $10 add a line. I pay like $40 for unlimited lte data I use in my verizon lte iPad. Use between 5-15gb of data each month.

Verizon doesn't audit lte sim switching from devices. That's why they are trying to force people off unlimited lte. It's true lte unlimited and there is nothing they can do about it caused of FCC agreement they had. That's why they force u to get off unlimited if u get subsidized phone.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:07 AM   #7
cardfan
macrumors regular

Thought about doing this for our 3 verizon iphone 5's. Get ipad mini SIMS, convert iphone lines to data only for these ipad minis. Swap sims to iphones. Would reduce our monthly plan from 210 to 70 a month with 6gb of data (postpaid). (Data only sharing plans cost less than the sharing plans that include voice).

Save around 130 or so a month or 1500+ a year.

That's if you could live with no SMS or traditional phone app on iphone. Instead, you use google voice, skype, or something else or a combination. It's possible you could find better solutions using current jailbreak.

Verizon says the plan stays with the SIM. And that you're free to swap them. There doesn't seem to be any problem doing this. You should probably be able to return the ipad mini's with no sim if you want.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone