Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The reality of the "post-PC era" predicted by Steve Jobs at the launch of the iPad 2 in 2011 can clearly be seen in a single graphic created by market intelligence company IDC in a report on what the firm refers to as the Smart Connected Device Market.

idc_connected_devices_2010_2012.jpg
(Legend omits smartphones shown in yellow)
The chart shows the market share decline of both desktop PCs (from 23% in 2010 to just 12% in 2012) and laptops (from 29% to 17%), while tablets grew from 3% to 11% and smartphones from 45% to 60%. Overall, PCs have seen their share of the total smart connected device market fall from roughly 50% to just 30% in only two years.

The figures do not, of course, necessarily indicate device preference, as some may choose a cheaper device for financial reasons, especially in developing markets.

Across the four markets, Apple increased its market share from 16.3% in 2011 to 18.2% in 2012, but dropped from first to second place as it was outpaced by Samsung, whose market share grew from 12.3% to 20.8%.

apple-2nd.png

Article Link: 'Post-PC Era' Predicted By Steve Jobs Taking Hold as Samsung Tops Apple in Connected Device Market

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Samsung from 12% to 20% - wow

Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.

And they have multiple carrier options, not like iPhone stuck primarily to AT&T with a bleeding plan.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.

When you start seeing tat most people you knew carrying laptops in the past are now carrying Tablets instead, then you know it's a "Post-PC Era".
There are many situations in which an iPad can do most of your required tasks without the need for a laptop or desktop.

In my case, since I got my iPad 1, my MBP has stayed home.

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden
"Apple comes out with a new product, have 100% of the market"
of course it's only gonna decline after that.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Apple never said the PC would be replaced, just that the greater part of PC stuff can and will be done on smartphones and tablets, thereby making PCs less relevant.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
LOL.... I would prepare more than just popcorn... how about an early beer with fried calamari or chicken wings??? :D

Too bad I gotta get some work done, so I won't be able to hang around. Enjoy!

Sounds good to me. This should hit 500 posts in no time. :D

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Desktop PC's are just for work and work is boring.

All other time is party time, and that's for portable party machines.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'd expect to see a decline in desktops getting steeper in the next years, due to the power of tablets now able to replace almost all desktop function for most of the market.

Desktops will be tiny-niche by the end of the decade. True professional users.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

No, it's people who have voted with their wallets. While (currently) these devices can't do everything a laptop or desktop can do, most people don't need a laptop or desktop. A smartphone or tablet is the most appropriate tool.

There will always be a need for powerful computing devices, just not by the common man.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It's not much of a comparison between Apple and Samsung. it's a lot like Comparing a Mercedes S Class with an entry level Hyundai. The numbers do not tell the real story. Samsung gives away close-top, cheap plastic boxes which are probably just the thing to get your ten year old who will drop it or lose it. Brand S is picking up the bottom of the market at a lower price point and lower profit and they treat their customers accordingly. Not everyone can afford or appreciate the Mercedes S Class which is why there are beaters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.