Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It was uniformly proven to be the thinnest; others that were thinner to a point had a greater maximum depth (camera lens). Hence, this was not a mistake; in no way can the Pixel's advertiser be seen to be correct, as resolution and DPI are completely different characteristics.

Was it? I don't recall reading anything that stated it was. Do you have a source? Further - if it was the truth - why did Apple immediate (even at the end of the keynote) change their line to world's thinnest iPhone" - and put that on the website. Why not world's thinnest smartphone? It was sure stated a lot before the last few minutes of the product launch...

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
One reason

There can only be one true reason for releasing a machine that is more beefed up than it needs to be, in order to browse the web...

They need to have a machine that's interesting enough to lure developers to begin to introduce the android platform to their software releases. So, maybe this computer doesn't sell well. But, in a few years, if adobe and other software products have three icons on the side of the box, it gets a little more scary.

So, maybe this computer is a loss leader for the hope of software development in the future.

DAVIDUGLY

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Ordered!
This is a brilliant move.
Once a vector and pixel based design program hits,
I will sell my other machines. (And the free 1tb would have cost $1800 over 3 years.)

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Google does not sell data, the sell ****ing ad space, nothing more. No one sees that data.

My God is tiring repeating the same old **** about that FUD.

Pull your head out of the sand and stop flying the Google hater flag. Repeating lies about something doesn't make them true.

OK... You have made your point repeatedly. Since you are getting tired of repeating yourself, please feel free to stop! :p

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Last time I checked my ISP still doesn't provide "unlimited" connection

How much would it cost you to move your files to the 1TB cloud storage? That's right... arms and legs

Then... How much would it cost you to access your large file on the 1TB Cloud storage? Again... arms and legs

Google can literally hold your files hostage after 3 years and you can pay them your arms and legs for the priviliage of accessing your own files or pay the ISP for the data traffic you will incur to move your files back... oh wait you won't have anymore arms and legs in 3 years to pay them

Anyhow, what needs to happen first for this idea to fly is cheap, unlimited, and fast internet access for people who own this device, that WOULD then be the game changer.

So what you're saying is this computer is not for you.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Listen to the video. He said "the highest resolution"; that statement is a falsehood. He didn't say "highest pixel density", he said "highest resolution". They lied.

Look up the word resolution in a good dictionary. You can't completely decouple pixel density from resolution in the context talking about the resolution of a LCD panel. Resolution is more than simply the number of horizontal and vertical pixels. Either also have to factor in the panel's size or dpi ( two ways of getting to the same issue).

For the common distance usagae for a Pixel or Apple retina offering dpi is a factor in resolution in any real sense of the word.

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Apple Didn't Enter the Search Engine Business...

The iPad now has more storage.

Will this move by Google wake a sleeping giant? Apple did not enter the search engine business and even avoided the mapping business until late. It seems Google wants to compete with Apple instead of developing alternative technology, like cloud resources, better photo sharing applications, better news delivery, and advanced search methods.

Apple: save the stock dividend and use it to develop the best iOS maps and develop a better Siri integrated search engine. By the way, I am also not spending $1,500 on a piece of Google Glass just so Google can use my content for their own marketing purposes.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Hahah, at first I thought this was an Apple commercial. How unoriginal. Typical Google. and is that guy trying to be the Jony Ive of Google? hahahah. Trying to sound like him too. "We wanted very few lines as possible, lol" I'm sorry this commercial cracks me up.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Will this move by Google wake a sleeping giant? Apple did not enter the search engine business and even avoided the mapping business until late. It seems Google wants to compete with Apple instead of developing alternative technology, like cloud resources, better photo sharing applications, better news delivery, and advanced search methods.

I suppose that you said the same when Apple entered the music and phone industries to compete with the established companies

----------

There can only be one true reason for releasing a machine that is more beefed up than it needs to be, in order to browse the web...

They need to have a machine that's interesting enough to lure developers to begin to introduce the android platform to their software releases. So, maybe this computer doesn't sell well. But, in a few years, if adobe and other software products have three icons on the side of the box, it gets a little more scary.

So, maybe this computer is a loss leader for the hope of software development in the future.

Chromebooks doesn't have anything to do with Android

Hay Hay

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2003
Geneva IL
First of all, it's a MBP ripoff, not a MBA ripoff. Secondly, HOW does Google invade your privacy? Don't say Google+. All that does is asks for your name, which you always fake anyway, then sends spam to your Gmail account about the social network nobody wants to use.

Lastly, Google pays taxes. Sure, they dodge most of them, but so does Apple and every other company because U.S. tax rates are BS.

Apparently you agree with my comments.

1) Google 'dodges' it's taxes.
2) The product is a 'ripoff'
3) Google 'sends spam to your Gmail account'

You missed a critique on my point about Adwords 'advisors' which should be known as corrupt shills. They lie to you, and work against your best interests by selling concepts that will actually blow your ad budget more quickly, by encouraging modifications with generate 'junk' clicks.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have the $199 Acer Chromebook and for that price its a nice little machine, I like the google intergration with my accounts etc, but if I'm gonna spend Mac prices I'd rather have a more flexible machine like a Pro or Air.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Companies just don’t get it. to be SOMEWHAT competitive with Apple the price needs to be significantly cheaper. What people really want are Apple machines.....alot of time they just settle on other brands bc the price is cheaper. Why pay $1,300 for a random google browsing machine when you can pay $999 for a MacBook Air?

Who comes up with stuff like this??

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apparently you agree with my comments.

1) Google 'dodges' it's taxes.
2) The product is a 'ripoff'
3) Google 'sends spam to your Gmail account'

You missed a critique on my point about Adwords 'advisors' which should be known as corrupt shills. They lie to you, and work against your best interests by selling concepts that will actually blow your ad budget more quickly, by encouraging modifications with generate 'junk' clicks.

You forgot the sarcasm tag, no one with a little common sense can write such bunch of wrong facts without being sarcastic

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Companies just don’t get it. to be SOMEWHAT competitive with Apple the price needs to be significantly cheaper. What people really want are Apple machines.....alot of time they just settle on other brands bc the price is cheaper. Why pay $1,300 for a random google browsing machine when you can pay $999 for a MacBook Air?

Who comes up with stuff like this??

Basically.
Except on phones, all high end smartphones (unless you go up in capacity) are 200 bucks.

But yeah this is too expensive and instead of the minimum 64gb the air comes with, this has a max of 32gb? So remind me again what I'd be paying so much extra for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.