Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
No it won't work. To preserve unlimited the upgrade has to be from a dumb phone. You can't upgrade a smart phone and then transfer it to another line to keep unlimited.

----------

Tried this today at two Verizon stores, one corporate, one premium, they said no-go. If you try and use an upgrade from a line with unlimited data in any way, ie transferring it to a dumb line, the original line loses its unlimited data. It would appear they've closed the loophole, but if anyone can confirm this is still working, would love to hear it as I can't seem to find a place that will do it.

This is not a change. Any upgrade used by a line that has unlimited has always lost unlimited. See my above post. The upgrade has to be on a line with a dumb phone then transfer the new phone to the unlimited line.

cinner00

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Question about "dumb lines"

WE are fortunate enough to still have a family unlimited plan for all 3 of our smart phones. Unfortunately, upgrade eligibility is coming fast and one of the phones will have to have it. We do have a Zoom tablet on it's own plan with data. It has never been upgraded. Can we use this plan to get a new smartphone and then transfer the tablet back and transfer the new phone to an existing? I have seen many threads about an additional dumb line, but nothing regarding a tablet.

noturbizniss

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
LONG POST, BUT I DID SOME OF THE HOMEWORK FOR YOU ALL SO ITS ALL GOOD!!

I can confirm that the loophole still exists. I just upgraded on January 11, 2013.

- I had an upgrade available on one of my UNLIMITED DATA lines
- I had a 9.99 add a line with a dumbphone on it that didnt have an upgrade
- I have a ANY MOBILE TALK & TXT SHR 700 which is an old plan

NOTE: I stressed over trying the loophole bc i chatted on chat with a few verizon reps. About half of them said i would STILL lose my UNLIMITED data even if i transfered the upgrade and upgraded through a dumbphone line. About half said i wouldnt lose it, and were ready to take my order. The thing is, how can you trust the online system?? If they were wrong, you lose UNLIMITED DATA forever. So my SUGGESTION is to go to a corporate VERIZON store. That is what I did. That way you have a person/manager held accountable if they gave you bad info.

He transfered my upgrade to my moms line(dumbphone) and did the upgrade. He placed the order and said I would receive my phone in 2 days. So I went to my online acct - -
One of the posters is correct, for about 2 days my your online account will show your UNLIMITED DATA line has upgraded, and instructs to activate the phone on the UNLIMITED DATA line when it arrives. 2 days later when my phone arrived, the instructions disappeared. At this point, it seems like you have a good esn phone to use on any line you want or to sell.

* Just to be sure, I took my phone in the box back to the Verizon corporate store and told them about what it said online and asked him to do it himself. He was more than happy to...He activated the SmartPhone on my moms line and put it on the 2gig plan.

* 2 hours later, I called Verizon Customer care and told them I wanted to put the dumbphone back on the line and drop the data plan. They may ask why youre doing that. I just said my mom couldnt get used to the phone and wanted her old phone back.

End of story...I now have a new clean esn smartphone, my UNLIMITED DATA line is still good. THE CONTRACT IS EXTENDED FOR ANOTHER 2 YEARS ON THE UNLIMITED DATA LINE.

So have at it....but do it through your local Verizon Corporate Store. Just dont say that your plans are to remove the smartphone later and drop the data plan on the dumbphone line.

When you removed the smartphone from your mom's line and reactivated the dumb phone did you need your mom or her phone with you or can you do it with her in a different location?

Also, Can this be done with another smartphone currently on tiered data, i.e.
1)transfer unlimited upgrade to tiered data phone
2)activate new phone on tiered data
3)wait some minutes - hours
4)remove new phone from tiered pland and reactivate old phone (darn it, i just couldn't get used to the new phone, i miss my old phone)
5)activate new phone on unlimited plan

Thanks

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I can confirm that this loophole still exists. Just did it with the iPhone 5 and still have unlimited data.

I ordered a broken verizon basic phone from ebay and am planning on activating it to the dumb phone line via vzw.com as soon as I get it (this is what the sales rep told me to do).

All you need is a valid IMEI to activate it and you're golden.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Hi everyone. I have a question as I don't know if anyone has done it yet. I remember when this thread was first started right before the iPhone 5 came out.

I can confirm it as well as it work by upgrading the dumb phone to a iPhone 5 then changing the esn numbers.

My question is now that I did that in a year from now can I do that again with that dumb phone. And just keep repeating the proccess every 2 years. Thanks

Sfuzzi

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
Do transfer upgrades still work

I called Verizon and was told several times by different reps that transferring my line udp upgrade to my daughters dumb phone will result in 2 year contract on my line without unlimited data. I wonder if the loophole has now closed or if someone has done this recently?

If it still works is the key to activate the new iPhone 5 first on the dummy line and transfer

Or do I only ever activate on the udp line

I read what feels like conflicting advice on his forum.
TIA

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I called Verizon and was told several times by different reps that transferring my line udp upgrade to my daughters dumb phone will result in 2 year contract on my line without unlimited data. I wonder if the loophole has now closed or if someone has done this recently?

If it still works is the key to activate the new iPhone 5 first on the dummy line and transfer

Or do I only ever activate on the udp line

I read what feels like conflicting advice on his forum.
TIA

It will extend the contract on your dumb phone line by 2 years, since you are using an upgrade; the rep was right. Yes, the key is to activate the phone on the dumb phone line. Then put the old dumb phone back on the dumb phone line and removing the data plan. Now you have an iPhone that is not active on any line. The the next morning when the SIM has "aged", you will be able to activate your iPhone on your line with unlimited data. The dumb phone line has been extended 2 years, but the unlimited line will not be. You can always use your unlimited line upgrade for your dumb phone line and you will still retain unlimited data.

Dash1223

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
WE are fortunate enough to still have a family unlimited plan for all 3 of our smart phones. Unfortunately, upgrade eligibility is coming fast and one of the phones will have to have it. We do have a Zoom tablet on it's own plan with data. It has never been upgraded. Can we use this plan to get a new smartphone and then transfer the tablet back and transfer the new phone to an existing? I have seen many threads about an additional dumb line, but nothing regarding a tablet.

I work for vzw. Your answer is no. You can sometimes upgrade that line to a phone but you can not put a tablet back on it. And you can only upgrade it to a smart phone if you get the right person.

----------

It will extend the contract on your dumb phone line by 2 years, since you are using an upgrade; the rep was right. Yes, the key is to activate the phone on the dumb phone line. Then put the old dumb phone back on the dumb phone line and removing the data plan. Now you have an iPhone that is not active on any line. The the next morning when the SIM has "aged", you will be able to activate your iPhone on your line with unlimited data. The dumb phone line has been extended 2 years, but the unlimited line will not be. You can always use your unlimited line upgrade for your dumb phone line and you will still retain unlimited data.
That's not true. Once you use a two year upgrade from your unlimited line it will automatically put you on 2gb plan. If you want to keep unlimited you can't use your 2 year upgrade. Phone must be active on dumb line for 24 hrs before you can move it. Also our department( loyalty) no longer offer nationwide family plan to single line accts. only share everything plan if going from nationwide single to family share so BEWARE!

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I work for vzw. Your answer is no. You can sometimes upgrade that line to a phone but you can not put a tablet back on it. And you can only upgrade it to a smart phone if you get the right person.

----------

That's not true. Once you use a two year upgrade from your unlimited line it will automatically put you on 2gb plan. If you want to keep unlimited you can't use your 2 year upgrade. Phone must be active on dumb line for 24 hrs before you can move it. Also our department( loyalty) no longer offer nationwide family plan to single line accts. only share everything plan if going from nationwide single to family share so BEWARE!

Please explain how hundreds of people on this forum have successfully done this and you register just now and say its not possible. Did Verizon suddenly change their policies in the last few days? Especially in light of T-Mobile's new policy, that would be stupid of them. Please explain.

firefighterk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Verizon

Hey everyone I included the link below from Engadget that states Verizon has changed the upgrade plan again. Does anyone know if our loophole will still work. From using a dumb phone (flip phone ) upgrade to a iPhone5s lets say and then switch the esn numbers

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Hey everyone I included the link below from Engadget that states Verizon has changed the upgrade plan again. Does anyone know if our loophole will still work. From using a dumb phone (flip phone ) upgrade to a iPhone5s lets say and then switch the esn numbers

what link?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As far as that particular change, it seems it won't be in effect until the beginning of next year.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Just did it. Everything works fine. You can switch phones as you wish on your unlimited line. And no more waiting 24hrs for SIM aging.

GZ2525

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
With this method, couldn't you always upgrade to a smartphone on the dumb phone line, get the phone for $200 and sell the phone if you wanted and just switch back to the dumb phone?

Seems like you'd always make money that way.

9dkid

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
Still on my Unlimited plan. Have to say, I squeeze gb's with Netflix, Tune In during commutes, Trips, and just lounging at home.

Just not sure how long that will last, I know eventually something will happen.

tigr123

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
Need help - a little behind the curve

Hi,

I have this issue - I am a shared plan (Unlimited data) - 2 smart phone lines. I'd like to get my wife a new iPhone 5, but we are not due for renewal until 12 months from now. I don't feel like paying the $500+ upgrade fee for the iPhone. Some posts show there is a way to add a third line and get the iPhone 5 for it without paying the full price. Is this true? How does it work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tigr

djyoungcity

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Any word on if this still works ?

Begin:
Phone A - Unlimited data - Upgrade Available
Phone B - Unlimited data - Upgrade Available

Upgrade phone B to new phone, go to 2GB plan on Phone B. Move the new phone to Phone A's number. Then transfer Phone A line upgrade to Phone B's line and upgrade again on Phone B hopefully keeping Phone A unlimited and Phone B capped at 2GB.

End:
Phone A - Unlimited data - No Upgrade
Phone B - 2GB Data - No Upgrade

Any confirmation if this is still available?

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Any word on if this still works ?

Begin:
Phone A - Unlimited data - Upgrade Available
Phone B - Unlimited data - Upgrade Available

Upgrade phone B to new phone, go to 2GB plan on Phone B. Move the new phone to Phone A's number. Then transfer Phone A line upgrade to Phone B's line and upgrade again on Phone B hopefully keeping Phone A unlimited and Phone B capped at 2GB.

End:
Phone A - Unlimited data - No Upgrade
Phone B - 2GB Data - No Upgrade

Any confirmation if this is still available?

It does. But you'll have a hard time getting anyone working at a verizon store to tell you it does. They're there to SELL you stuff.

Everything here works:

http://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/1mc8v7/the_new_improved_update_guide_on_how_to_keep_your/

djyoungcity

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
It does. But you'll have a hard time getting anyone working at a verizon store to tell you it does. They're there to SELL you stuff.

Everything here works:

http://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/1mc8v7/the_new_improved_update_guide_on_how_to_keep_your/

I will only be upgrading phone B on friday and transferring the phone to line A. I will wait till the hype dies down and transfer line A upgrade to line B and upgrade that phone. I will report findings when all is complete.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
So I ran two tests today to confirm if my situation will work. I have a 1400 minute family share talk & Text with three lines. My line is an old unlimited data and corp. email plan, my wife is on a 2 GB plan and my MIL is on a dumb phone with no data. Last year I used my MIL's upgrade on her dumb phone to purchase my iPhone 5 through apple and it worked perfect. Got the phone, called VZW and activated it directly on my line and retained my unlimited data. I would assume that this scenario will still work flawlessly.

So this year, my line is due for an upgrade, my wife's is March of next year and MIL's is Oct. of next year. I, naively thought that I could just easily transfer the upgrade from my line to my wife's, order the new 5s through apple and be happy, but alas, you can only transfer an upgrade through the VZW website. Knowing this, I asked no fewer than 5 VZW CS reps about how the transfer upgrade program works and all but one told me that I would lose my unlimited data, as my line was the contract that was being extended. One CS rep, however, told me that, that was not the case. So I ran a few tests.

First, I attempted to upgrade my line through the VZW website and when I got to the data plan screens, I received a message that I would be losing unlimited data and that I had to choose a new tiered plan...just as expected.

Next, I transferred my upgrade to my wife's line and when I got to the data plan screen, I received no such warning. It even went so far as to inform me that I need not make any changes to my 2 GB data plan unless I wanted to increase my tier. My belief, therefore, is that you can use the online transfer upgrade tool to upgrade another line on my plan, purchase the phone and then activate it under my line once I receive it. My only outstanding question would be what happens to my wife's March upgrade date once I execute this transaction?

Can anyone confirm or deny my above scenario and can anyone confirm what happens to my wife's upgrade date?

However much I hate to use VZW to purchase a new iPhone (they charge a $30 'upgrade fee' on top of the phone...wtf??), I believe this is my only option to get the new 5s and retain my unlimited plan...short of buying it unsubsidized or adding a 4th dumb line for $9.99 + tax.

Thoughts??

Last edited:

djyoungcity

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Your wife's upgrade date should remain the same as it was and you should keep your unlimited data barring your activate the phone on your wife's line when it comes in and then transfer it to your line and her phone back to her line.

Once you have completed all this. Please report back what you have found.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
Your wife's upgrade date should remain the same as it was and you should keep your unlimited data barring your activate the phone on your wife's line when it comes in and then transfer it to your line and her phone back to her line.

Once you have completed all this. Please report back what you have found.

So I MUST activate it first on my wife's line and then move it to mine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.