Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
A lot of that will be down to the fact that the most popular android tablets are wifi only. The iPad sells a lot more on contract, thus has higher web traffic in general.

The iPad is also still a fair bit easier to use as a web browser, especially with Chrome.

Web traffic doesn't tell the full story now does it.

Many people buy tablets to just read and/or play games. Games that don't necc need the internet. They also use them to work on documents. Again - not necc requiring internet.

I've never understood why so much "weight" is put into internet usage as "proof point" that people don't use their android devices and/or they use Apple devices more.

Keep to the facts. People access the internet more on Apple devices than Android (for example). That does not equate to whether or not they use their device more or less than the other.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
This doesn't necessarily mean that people are using less PCs and laptops.

It could be that just as many people are using PCs/laptops but they are also buying smartphones/tablets as well. So, there are the same number of PCs/laptops but more smartphones/tablets.

That would explain the percentage changes, just as well.

Without more information, don't jump to conclusions too quickly.

Excellent point. Just to give an example of this, 2 years ago in my family we had an old desktop pc and a relatively new laptop PC. The desktop needed to be replaced (we still have it and use it for some games for the kids but not too much), and the choice was what to replace it with. We decided to get an iPad since we did not need the power of a new desktop computer, just something to use for Internet, email, etc when the laptop was also being used. So at that time we were 100% laptop/desktop. Fast forward 2 years and now we have 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 HP touchpad, and the same laptop and desktop. The laptop/desktop percentage in my family is now 25% even though we still have the same 2 machines. I have a feeling this type of scenario is playing out everywhere and is a BIG reason for the dropping numbers for laptops and desktops.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
"Times are changing for the worst. I've gotta keep a positive outlook..." lol, I think consumers are growing weary of Apples S upgrades. They need to innovate properly like they were known for in the past!:cool:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Well this does not tell the entire story.

1. Post PC is a lie. We are in the new kind of PC market today as tablets and iPhones are PCs.
2. Compare profit shares and profit margins on each item.
3. Separate the sub $1k and the above $1K
4. Separate phones from other types (desktops, notebooks and tablets)

Then you'll get a better picture. Pushing a ton of crap to get more marketshare does nothing but pad numbers.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
A lot of that will be down to the fact that the most popular android tablets are wifi only. The iPad sells a lot more on contract, thus has higher web traffic in general.

The iPad is also still a fair bit easier to use as a web browser, especially with Chrome.

iPads are not typically sold with contracts. I know several people who got cellular iPads strictly for the GPS and do not use the cellular part.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Web traffic doesn't tell the full story now does it.

Many people buy tablets to just read and/or play games. Games that don't necc need the internet. They also use them to work on documents. Again - not necc requiring internet.

I've never understood why so much "weight" is put into internet usage as "proof point" that people don't use their android devices and/or they use Apple devices more.

Keep to the facts. People access the internet more on Apple devices than Android (for example). That does not equate to whether or not they use their device more or less than the other.

I would think the web is the most important task on today's devices. Any device... Apple or non-Apple.

With Android smartphones having 70% of that market... and Android tablets approaching 50%.... why wouldn't they be accessing the web on Android?

We live in an web-connected world... I find it hard to believe that 500 million Android users "don't need none of that internet stuff..."

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
...and what "machines" actually are used in designing/creating tablets/handheld devices and even other "machines"? Yea...personal computers.

Tablets and handheld devices sure are handy for on-the-go-be-everywhere-on-the-internet stuff such as email, texting, and some web surfing...and some apps are truly useful.

But for actually DOING stuff (not amateur stuff please) like creating music or videos or business files (Office) or compressing gigabytes worth of data or calculating/analyzing gigs worth of data or developing applications or building a new OS or creating web code or running serious business client apps (and many other examples of what personal computers do everyday all over the globe), personal computers (with their lovely mice and full keyboards and very large screens) crush tablets and handhelds.

I love the handheld stuff...but I realize they have serious limitations compared to the thousands of uses of personal computers...which is fine. Others, however, can't see the limitations and feel handhelds and touch screen tablets are going to somehow REPLACE personal computers. At best tablets and handhelds will augment for a long time. When somehow magically touchscreens are better than keyboards and mice, that will be the START of any kind of pc replacement.

Call me in 20 years.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.

And they have multiple carrier options, not like iPhone stuck primarily to AT&T with a bleeding plan.

That's fanboy talk with all do respect. I love Apple products but I'm also realistic. The smartphones made by Samsung can do practically the same things as an iPhone can do these days. In fact the Samsung devices can do much more when looking at the user possibilities to build the phone the way he or she want it. Why else do you think hacking the iPhone is so popular among iPhone holders?

The real reason why Samsung has climb so high is pretty obvious, despite a slightly less quality screen their devices can cope with practically everything an iPhone can, only cheaper. So no wonder that they sell lot's of smartphones.

I also think this is good, competition is good. But for now I prefer the iPhone above anything else, simply because I'm working with Apple's for decades and I love the simplicity of the whole Apple line....

But I'm no fanboy. Talking about kids stuff, when does Apple come up with an Apple Mac Pro? About time to come with some serious machine, not one that's thin, with a good looking design but one that can do serious work. My Mac Pro is quite old by now and I don't like iMac,s they are way to slow for the work I do.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple may have less than 20% of the marketshare, but from that meager number they have about 80-90% of the global profit in this space. I think they are probably much happier with their position vs. the rest. You can't spend marketshare.

I just knew somebody would say it. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I would think the web is the most important task on today's devices. Any device... Apple or non-Apple.

With Android smartphones having 70% of that market... and Android tablets approaching 50%.... why wouldn't they be accessing the web on Android?

We live in an web-connected world... I find it hard to believe that 500 million Android users "don't need none of that internet stuff..."

I'm not arguing whether or not the web is important. My point was that one statistic doesn't dictate what people are doing with their devices.

And it certainly doesn't mean what some people here claim - which is people don't use their Android phone/tablet as if it's some jab against the platform.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm not arguing whether or not the web is important. My point was that one statistic doesn't dictate what people are doing with their devices.

And it certainly doesn't mean what some people here claim - which is people don't use their Android phone/tablet as if it's some jab against the platform.

Yeah... I went on a tangent.

I was going in another direction and speaking specifically about web browsing. That claim is:
  • Apple devices get used more for the web stuff
  • Android devices get used for more non-web stuff
Why is that?

No doubt there are other uses for devices outside of web browsing. But I'm just curious why Apple devices get more web browsing when they are seriously outnumbered by Android devices.

It just seems odd.

jmick

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
This is important info if your market is spread evenly world wide, including all parts of Africa and countries like Cambodia where almost every connected device is a phone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Oh wow, you know what I'm not even going to bother pointing out how many things are incorrect with that statement. In just going to sit back and hope you realise.

Irony failure.

You must not do any heavy tasks then. If you want to play a game greater than angry birds, you need a good machine. Some laptops are pretty good, but nothing beats a strong solid desktop for gaming or serious production stuff.

"Irony Failure (The Remix)"

----------

PS - Production is work (if you're any good).

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007

You do realize that all those so-called "web-traffic" analysis data stems from advertisement?

You actually do know that many people on Android use browsers with a plugin-model (just like Firefox on your desktop) to block ads?

You do conclude that this 'web-traffic' analysis is like throwing bones in the air for taking a look into your life?

If your answer to all of this is no, it's time to learn about ad-blocking on your device (yes - I know there are some viable alternatives for iOS too).

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.

And they have multiple carrier options, not like iPhone stuck primarily to AT&T with a bleeding plan.

Oh yeah, the iPhone is so advanced. I reckon everyone with one is doing "big things" on it.

Give me a break.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
...and what "machines" actually are used in designing/creating tablets/handheld devices and even other "machines"? Yea...personal computers.

Tablets and handheld devices sure are handy for on-the-go-be-everywhere-on-the-internet stuff such as email, texting, and some web surfing...and some apps are truly useful.

But for actually DOING stuff (not amateur stuff please) like creating music or videos or business files (Office) or compressing gigabytes worth of data or calculating/analyzing gigs worth of data or developing applications or building a new OS or creating web code or running serious business client apps (and many other examples of what personal computers do everyday all over the globe), personal computers (with their lovely mice and full keyboards and very large screens) crush tablets and handhelds.

I love the handheld stuff...but I realize they have serious limitations compared to the thousands of uses of personal computers...which is fine. Others, however, can't see the limitations and feel handhelds and touch screen tablets are going to somehow REPLACE personal computers. At best tablets and handhelds will augment for a long time.When somehow magically touchscreens are better than keyboards and mice, that will be the START of any kind of pc replacement.

Call me in 20 years.

I am old enough to remember when the Mainframe crowd and the VAX crowd used to say the same thing. While they still exist in the background, I don't think anyone denies those first PC's started the process. Today's tablets are the start whether people want to believe it or not.

Just a guess, but looking at history of things and the uptake of the smartphones and tablets, I doubt it will take 20 years.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Excellent point. Just to give an example of this, 2 years ago in my family we had an old desktop pc and a relatively new laptop PC. The desktop needed to be replaced (we still have it and use it for some games for the kids but not too much), and the choice was what to replace it with. We decided to get an iPad since we did not need the power of a new desktop computer, just something to use for Internet, email, etc when the laptop was also being used. So at that time we were 100% laptop/desktop. Fast forward 2 years and now we have 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 HP touchpad, and the same laptop and desktop. The laptop/desktop percentage in my family is now 25% even though we still have the same 2 machines. I have a feeling this type of scenario is playing out everywhere and is a BIG reason for the dropping numbers for laptops and desktops.

Ditto for my family. I just bought a Mac Mini, but could have easily held out a couple of more years. Meanwhile, my wife and I each have iPads, and use them for most of the stuff we used to do on laptops/computers at home.

Honestly, for home use, how often does the average computer users need a full scale desktop or laptop? The need arises from time to time, but for most folks, the tablet is just more convent to move around the house and take on vacation. The battery life is a big deal too.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.

i disagree. i remember times when at meetings people had notepads and pens or were searching for a powerplug for their laptops. now i see people with ipads and smartphones at the meetings.

we are living in the post pc era. no need to take it personally.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You do realize that all those so-called "web-traffic" analysis data stems from advertisement?

You actually do know that many people on Android use browsers with a plugin-model (just like Firefox on your desktop) to block ads?

You do conclude that this 'web-traffic' analysis is like throwing bones in the air for taking a look into your life?

If your answer to all of this is no, it's time to learn about ad-blocking on your device (yes - I know there are some viable alternatives for iOS too).

Ah... so Android web-browsing could be on-par with iOS... but Android users are blocking ads or changing their user-agent... skewing the results.

Team Android must be pissed then... because these analysts keep painting the picture that iOS devices dominate web traffic with something like 67% to 33%

And nobody seems to dispute that.

Has there ever been a counter-study saying "no really... Android users DO browse the web more!!!"

I just see report after report stating that iOS consumes more web traffic.

And the more you keep hearing something... the more you tend to think it's true...

dogcowx

macrumors member
May 19, 2004
Really?

"Legend omits smartphones shown in yellow"

Gee, it's too bad that the contributors to this site don't have access to computers machines capable of manipulating graphics or anything. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.