Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quantman

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2007
You mean the worst :D :p

Think about this like war strategy or chess!

You want to achieve checkmate or surround the enemy and give them no options. The guy who has less than 5% market share has nothing to lose. The guy with greater than 95% market share cannot afford to risk making his system Mac and Windows capable.

Putting a Mac AND a Windows button on a phone (with dual op system functionality):

1. Makes every single person a potential customer for the Iphone irrespective of whether they have a Mac or a PC. That makes it a winner by keeping 100% of the target market in focus.

2. Makes every single person who buys this phone constantly ask themselves why not get a MAC because Mac parallels offers both Mac and Windows Operating systems/platforms whereas PC's DO Not!

3. Remember Jobs recently that AAPL has to get over the notion that for AAPL to win MSFT has to lose!

4. It really would be a threat to HP and DELL.

5. The Ipod loving world would continue to gravitate to the Apple retail stores and Mac market share would climb, particularly if ITV is also a hit.

6. MSFT then will be left to focus on the enterprise market and the consumer market would belong to AAPL. That is AAPL's strength-understanding the mass market consumer!

Natekhsirv

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
It seems the 'iPhone' / 'iPod Phone' device is being hailed and praised as the 'next big thing' from Apple that will 'revolutionize the market' for cell phones.

In my opinion, the only contribution Apple could reasonably make is to take their already successful (and *simple*) iPod, and add a *simple* way to make a phone call on it... and *maybe* send a text message/email. I don't think it will have 'smart phone capabilities' (besides iPod funcationality).

IF (yes IF, not when...) Apple releases some sort of phone, it will be an iPod with the ability to place a call. Not some sort of PDA or web-browsing jack-of-all trades. I think someone mentioned this in another thread earlier, but I just wanted to restate it, as I don't think that Apple would do well to make some sort of ridiculously complex smart phone. I would estimate the price to be around $299-399, with 4/8GB flash or something like that.

The only way I would buy one is if it gave me the ability to easily place a phone call (perhaps by selecting a contact in my Address Book), receive a phone call, and play music. Video isn't really that important to me on a device as small as a phone / iPod - and I don't think video chat would be extremely important, either. All that would do is jack up the price a couple hundred more.
How wrong were you !!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.