Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:13 AM   #26
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Try paying all your bills and see if the calls stop
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:58 AM   #27
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Ran out of things that mysteriously go wrong with your iPhone huh.

I have to give you an A for effort on some of the things you come up with.
BHP41 is offline   4
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Beenblacklisted
macrumors regular

If they are claiming wells fargo, it is possible this is a new phishing scam, to have you reveal as much personal info as possible. Recently new emails with wells fargo appearing as the domain are popping up alot, wells fargo will only call for surveys and if you get a call from them regarding account services it will be from a designated person handling your account.
Beenblacklisted is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:38 PM   #29
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Why not offer a date with your wife while your at it?
Jalopybox is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:32 PM   #30
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened to me.

So I called back and they had no idea who I was. They asked if they could check their database for my social security number? So we checked, and nothing. Then they asked for my credit card number, expiration, and security code to see if THAT was in their system? No again.

At this point I thought it might be a mistake, so having several cards, decided to let them check them all.

Still nada.

They think it was probably my wife, so I'm going to get her credit cards and call them back.

Turns out it WASN'T her social on file either.

They were nice enough to write all of our info down just in case it came up in the future though. All in all it was quite the awesome experience.

Phew!

I hope noone ever gets any of my personal information...

itjw is offline   9
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:56 PM   #31
bonskovsky
Banned

Back to the original question.

Can an iPhone be phished? Is it possible that someone can keep you on the line long enough to get information, just from being connected to the line?

I know I saw this happen in a few movies.
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:05 PM   #32
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post

Can an iPhone be phished? Is it possible that someone can keep you on the line long enough to get information, just from being connected to the line?

No. Not happening.

But speaking of movies, I saw this documentary on the other night (can't remember the name) that involved the cloning and raising of DINOSAURS!!! It was awesome... and scary! I told my wife about real dinosaurs roaming an island in the Pacific and she looked at me like I was crazy. It was on TV though!

Movies are cool
itjw is offline   3
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:15 PM   #33
blueroom
macrumors 603

Movies sure are cool, I'm waiting for Pacific Rim. Scary monsters too!
blueroom is offline   3
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:38 AM   #34
pdxmatts
macrumors newbie

Quote:
This is my first contract iPhone, and all day I've been getting these calls from Beaverton, Oregon. These calls were at 2:11 PM, 6:14 PM, and 8:52 PM. These calls are all coming from the same place, but they show up with different numbers.

The phone will continuously ring until answered, and it will stay on the line as long as I'm quiet. But as soon as I say, "Hello." The call is disconnected.

Is this a way of someone trying to steal personal information? Is that possible if a person is on the line long enough they have can get sensitive information about you?
I suggest putting your number on the do not call registry https://www.donotcall.gov/ or call your carrier and tell them you are getting numerous calls for the previous owner of the number they gave you and you would like a new number. (at no cost to you)
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:43 AM   #35
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Is this a way of someone trying to steal personal information? Is that possible if a person is on the line long enough they have can get sensitive information about you?
You're kidding right? How can they get information from you if you're on the line long enough?
dinggus is offline   2
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #36
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:

I've also seen crazy stuff in movies, this diagram may help you sort out a lot of the issues you seem to be having.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/...4cc1929034.gif
Interstella5555 is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:46 AM   #37
naz-dream-boys
macrumors member

call the police
naz-dream-boys is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:48 AM   #38
macingman
macrumors 68020

Amazes me that bonskovsky has not slipped for cracks of the forum's mods for so long.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:32 AM   #39
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Amazes me that bonskovsky has not slipped for cracks of the forum's mods for so long.
To be fair a good third of his threads up in the wasteland (but be careful, he's not a troll, those people know what they're talking about).
Interstella5555 is offline   2
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:55 AM   #40
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
To be fair a good third of his threads up in the wasteland (but be careful, he's not a troll, those people know what they're talking about).
I LOL at this.
BHP41 is offline   2
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:36 AM   #41
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
What's the difference between a lower quality number and a higher quality one?
I know this was probably in jest - BUT....

Carriers with customer high turnover and small pools of allotted numbers will tend to give out numbers that were in use recently. I know of one pre-paid number that had been in service with someone else just a handful of days before I started using it.

So, yes, there can be differences in quality, unless you like your phone to be going off with calls, MMSs and texts from people you don't know...
smithrh is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:30 PM   #42
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Trolling and lying are both against the forum rules, you're wasting others time, I would suggest you stop.
However I see you're already in time-out, though.
lucasfer899 is offline   1
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:20 PM   #43
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Well, something just happened.

I got curious and decided to call the phone number back to see who it was. Crazy me thought it may have been an old friend who couldn't work up the courage to speak to me. I didn't know.

An adult male picks up the phone as if he was a telemarketer. He claimed to be an associate from Wells Fargo. I don't bank with Wells Fargo, so why would they be calling me.

So then he asked me what number it was and I told him my phone number. Then he asked for my name, and I told him my real name.

He said "That's definately not what's in our system," now this is some random person from a bank who knows my name and number.
Don't understand after, god only knows, how many times we hear on the news, never give out your information to someone you don't know (Common sense 101) and to call the direct number instead to verify, in this case Wells Fargo. This OP did everything wrong by giving out his name, and number. Have to ask how old is this OP. Oh ! By the way, "Scary" would not be the word I would choose but " Concerned ". Scary () I would use if someone came to my door late at night... .
SR45 is offline   2
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:28 PM   #44
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Based on the OP's previous threads, I have to conclude that these phone calls didn't take place and are just voices in his head
seriously....autoset to wasteland
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:40 PM   #45
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Don't understand after, god only knows, how many times we hear on the news, never give out your information to someone you don't know (Common sense 101) and to call the direct number instead to verify, in this case Wells Fargo. This OP did everything wrong by giving out his name, and number. Have to ask how old is this OP. Oh ! By the way, "Scary" would not be the word I would choose but " Concerned ". Scary () I would use if someone came to my door late at night... .
Except for he's making basically the whole thing up.
lucasfer899 is offline   2
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:41 PM   #46
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This is my first contract iPhone, and all day I've been getting these calls from Beaverton, Oregon. These calls were at 2:11 PM, 6:14 PM, and 8:52 PM. These calls are all coming from the same place, but they show up with different numbers.

The phone will continuously ring until answered, and it will stay on the line as long as I'm quiet. But as soon as I say, "Hello." The call is disconnected.

Oh yes, I am familiar with this. I can make these stop.

please first email me your , name, ss #, and bank info and credit info along with the number, exp date, and CVV of your major credit cards and the problem will be gone in a few minutes......
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:03 PM   #47
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

His inane threads abound.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:11 PM   #48
Paito
macrumors regular

I search all numbers that I don't know. Sometimes a website would show up with comments of people that have received calls from unknown numbers and they would say if its a collection agency, telemarketer... Calling them.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:54 PM   #49
carlgo
macrumors 68000

The do not call list is being ignored by many telemarketers. They evidently do not fear prosecution and when you dial the number to stop the calls, it merely confirms to them that you exist and so they will keep calling you.

Wasn't Seinfeld who said that when they call and try to sell you something, you should try to sell them something like an old mattress or couch.
carlgo is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:59 PM   #50
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:

It's just Apples bots checking up on you.

Just kidding, call your carrier & explain you've been getting these calls & would like a new number. It happened to me, they issued a new number for free. Problem solved.
maxosx is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland