Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: iPhone 5 Screen Repair: Would you just purchase the digitizer glass or full assembly?
I would just purchase the digitizer glass, and try to separate the LCD from the broken digitizer 1 4.00%
Separating the two is impossible.. Full LCD Digitizer Assembly FTW!!! 24 96.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
iRepairParts
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
POLL: iPhone 5 Screen Repair

Even with people being aware that the LCD and digitizer glass of the iPhone 4 and 4S are fused together, many people still purchase just the digitizer glass and try to attempt to separate the two so they can repair a cracked screen. The problem is, the LCD and digitizer are fused together during the manufacturing process, which makes the separation of the LCD and digitizer impossible. While you can separate the two, it is not possible to do so without damaging the LCD.

Now knowing that the iPhone 5 LCD and Digitizer are fused together, would any of you still try to do the screen repair just using the digitizer, or would you opt to get the full LCD Digitizer assembly (which is already fused together.)
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post
Even with people being aware that the LCD and digitizer glass of the iPhone 4 and 4S are fused together, many people still purchase just the digitizer glass and try to attempt to separate the two so they can repair a cracked screen. The problem is, the LCD and digitizer are fused together during the manufacturing process, which makes the separation of the LCD and digitizer impossible. While you can separate the two, it is not possible to do so without damaging the LCD.

Now knowing that the iPhone 5 LCD and Digitizer are fused together, would any of you still try to do the screen repair just using the digitizer, or would you opt to get the full LCD Digitizer assembly (which is already fused together.)
I've seen videos of both methods... and separating the glass and digitizer gets messy..
__________________
Apple Macbook Pro Retina '13 (Late 2012)
OS X Mountain Lion / Intel Core i5-3210M @ 3.1GHz / 8GB DDR3 1600MHz / Retina Display @ 2560x1600 / 128GB Solid State Drive | Slate Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Muscle Master is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:47 PM   #3
iRepairParts
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I've seen videos of both methods... and separating the glass and digitizer gets messy..
Definitely.. The problem with separating the digitizer from the LCD is that even if you are able to separate the two, the LCD ends up getting all scratched and damaged (if it doesnt become completely useless.) Adhesive residue is also left on the LCD which makes it not so nice
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:47 PM   #4
960design
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Destin, FL
For sanity we purchase the full assembly.
__________________
TI-99/4A, tape cassette, 12" B&W Zenith
960design is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Greencardman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
 
I only buy the complete assembly for our repairs. There is actually a pretty funny video of a guy trying to separate the two with an X-Acto knife. Ends in blood, not surprisingly.
Greencardman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a
 
quietstormSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
I'd purchase the entire assembly
__________________
Early 2011 13" MBP 2.3GHz Intel Core i5; iPhone 4S 32GB white on at&t; iPod Shuffle 4th gen; iPad Air WIFI 32GB silver/white

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
iRepairParts
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencardman View Post
I only buy the complete assembly for our repairs. There is actually a pretty funny video of a guy trying to separate the two with an X-Acto knife. Ends in blood, not surprisingly.
LOL! Care to share the link? I don't believe I've seen that one yet.

I wonder if he ended up getting the LCD and digitizer separated. Hell if I drew blood during a repair you better be sure its going to be successful in some way, shape or form lol
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:54 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
I'd go with the full assembly. Not that I would ever try and do this myself. I am way too mechanically inept to ever try something like this.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Too many potential issues with trying to separate the digitizer from the LCD and then getting the new digitizer... you can break the LCD, get a hair or piece of dust in between the LCD and digitizer when fusing them back together, etc... not worth the time, effort, and possible wasted money.
Jamesesesesess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:17 PM   #10
iRepairParts
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesesesesess View Post
Too many potential issues with trying to separate the digitizer from the LCD and then getting the new digitizer... you can break the LCD, get a hair or piece of dust in between the LCD and digitizer when fusing them back together, etc... not worth the time, effort, and possible wasted money.
You point out a couple great points here.

1) Getting dust between the LCD and Digitizer- The LCD and Digitizer are fused together during manufacturing specifically to avoid dust and other debris from getting stuck between the two components.

2) Fusing the digitizer and LCD back together- There is no way to fuse them back together. The cheap quality assemblies are manufactured using cheap adhesive. However, the high quality LCD Digitizer assemblies are manufactured using a high quality optical adhesive which makes for better viewing of the LCD, and a stronger hold.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'd go with the full assembly. Not that I would ever try and do this myself. I am way too mechanically inept to ever try something like this.
With the iPhone 5 screen replacement, it really is not a difficult repair. MUCH more difficult than the iPhone 4/ 4S repair.

The iPhone 5 LCD Digitizer can be accessed from the front of the phone, and can actually be swapped out within 5 minutes.
__________________
The Most Trusted iPhone Parts Review Site
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Greencardman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post
LOL! Care to share the link? I don't believe I've seen that one yet.

I wonder if he ended up getting the LCD and digitizer separated. Hell if I drew blood during a repair you better be sure its going to be successful in some way, shape or form lol
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltl0Lins1uo
Its actually a little humorous. I'm sure it could be done easier, but it does showcase the silliness of trying to do it just to save $25 or so.
Greencardman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
iRepairParts
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencardman View Post
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltl0Lins1uo
Its actually a little humorous. I'm sure it could be done easier, but it does showcase the silliness of trying to do it just to save $25 or so.
Hahaha "Always wear a thimble"... That made my day!!!
__________________
The Most Trusted iPhone Parts Review Site
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 AM   #13
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Considering that on the iPhone 5, the digitiser and the LCD are embedded in the glass, I'd have to say that it's a non-issue of impossibility and you need to buy the full assembly.
__________________
Out Of Warranty Replacements: (North America)
iPads: Mini; $219. 4th gen; $299. 3rd gen; $299, 2nd gen; $249. 1st gen; $229
iPhones: 5S; $269. 5C; $269 5; $229. 4S; $199. 4, 3GS, 3G, 1st gen; $169.
XboxMySocks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:39 PM   #14
iRepairParts
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
surjavarman, I'm curious about what your reasoning is with choosing to separate the LCD and Digitizer
__________________
The Most Trusted iPhone Parts Review Site
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
iphone 5 lcd digitizer, iphone 5 screen, iphone 5 screen repair

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NO PWR TO IPHONE 5 after screen repair colby77 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Dec 11, 2013 02:04 PM
Poll: How many of you want a bigger screen for iPhone? Krissypantz2828 iPhone 17 Sep 18, 2013 07:41 PM
iPhone screen repair and jailbreak Ryan884 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 11 Jun 12, 2013 11:34 PM
Repair of a iPhone screen WJ99 iPhone 8 Jan 21, 2013 10:07 PM
Broken screen repair for IPhone 4? karenhamer iPhone 6 Sep 19, 2012 08:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC