Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Never buy first generation apple hardware, so many flaws with rMBP, even worse with the 13"

Can't wait to get gen 2 15"retina this fall though :)

I have a rMBP and it is without a doubt the best Apple machine I've ever had and I've had a lot, I've been using Apple products for well over 20 years.

The rMBP is fast, the screen is amazing and I've have never had a single issue with it. I was a bit dubious about getting it as I wasn't entirely sure, but now I have it I wouldn't swap it for anything, even after 3 months with it I still love everything about it, normally the novelty wears off after a few weeks but this machine is just outstanding.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity.

They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.

I would truly like to agree, but the cold hard facts are the day they changed the company's name from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. I knew the party was over for those of us who use & enjoy Macs for work.

Now, as Apple Inc. They've morphed into a mass market mobile device & gadget maker.

One that just happens to have revenue from computers that they are enjoying based on past reputation & the well promoted myth that Macs are easier & don't get viruses.

Supremely obsessed with being "thin & pretty" from the Jobs days, they're still building computers even after convincing the world it's the "Post PC Era" now.

Thus they are now Apple Inc. iDevices are the focus.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
...he says in response to an article starting with "Following last week's introduction of new processors for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup".

Ok, clearly I did not make my post very clear. Let me clarify: there hasn't been a SOFTWARE update in over four months. I realize there hasn't been a hardware update since the rMBP came out last June. The reason I complain is because I hope they fix the current line of rMBPs before releasing the new line. I don't think it's much to ask... really, I just wanna be able to surf the net and listen to music... that sorta function really works fine on my iPhone, and it works fine on a ten year old $20 eMachine off Craigslist, so I don't think it's much to ask in a $2000+ 6 month old computer. (I don't actually have an e-machine, but I betcha surfing and music would be more enjoyable.)

tl;dr: it's hard to get excited about the new line when Apple has really dropped the ball on the current lineup.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
10.8.3 is due any day now. Anyway I haven't had those issues on my 13" rMBP and they certainly don't sound routine. Perhaps you have some other issues with your specific unit.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc.

What is Apple's response when you brought in the computer? Will they replace it?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
nope

For those saying Apple laptops are too expensive, have you seen the specs and pricing on Google's latest offering?

$1300, for a 13-inch, 3.3 lbs, 32 GB!HD, USB2 laptop.

----------

I got to try out one of these pixel laptops yesterday, I would NOT buy it.

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity. They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.

If they were a "computer company first " why did they remove word "computer" from their corporate name?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
What is Apple's response when you brought in the computer? Will they replace it?

I had a previous rMBP that exhibited the same exact problems right out of the box. It also happens on my classmate's rMBP. These are widespread issues that are not limited to a single machine unfortunately.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Exactly. That is my plan as well. The GPU just can't handle the current retina machines satisfactorily enough.

and factor in that so apps still don't support retina resolution, so people aren't even getting the most out of the display

JoshAlfie

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.

Although I would not question your right to complain if you feel you have issues I have to disagree with your statement.

I have been using the rMBP extensively since August (surfing, listening to music, playing video games, movie editing, running vms, CAD work, etc) and have had none of the issues that your stating. I am in contact with many people who have the same laptop with the same use as me and had heard no complaints from them either.

After many disappointments with windows machines over the years I view the rMBP as a breath of fresh air. It's how top of the line laptops should have been.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Although I would not question your right to complain if you feel you have issues I have to disagree with your statement.

I have been using the rMBP extensively since August (surfing, listening to music, playing video games, movie editing, running vms, CAD work, etc) and have had none of the issues that your stating. I am in contact with many people who have the same laptop with the same use as me and had heard no complaints from them either.

After many disappointments with windows machines over the years I view the rMBP as a breath of fresh air. It's how top of the line laptops should have been.

I understand that you don't have the same problem as me, but you can't disagree with reality: many people have these issues. Maybe not you, but many. These are also issues that Apple support admits they are aware of, and have said for months that fixes are in the process of being made. If you need further evidence, search the Apple support forums, and look at the forums on this website.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.

That's not what I meant and you know it. Stop being condescending because it's not going to help you.

What you suffer from is very unfortunate and I would never tolerate that. But it sounds like most of that is related to software issues rather than hardware issues. Nevertheless, maybe you were talking about software updates? In that case I understand your frustration. I guess you've already done a format? Have you tried to return it and get a replacement?

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
It's still faster than my 2010 MBP that's for sure.

I love my 2010 MacBook Pro so much that I don't want to imagine the end of its life. I upgraded it with 500g SSD plus original 500g hdd and 8g ram, so it stays super sharp even with the recourse-consuming osx 10.8... I really grown emotion on it... Pity that it can't be modified into some fish tank like G5(if I remember correctly), so I can keep the body at least.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
I love my rMacbook pro, the screen is amazing, I bought it in the first week it came out. I am a software developer and it is one of the top investments I have ever made. I used HP's and Dell's before and their user experience is nothing compared to this laptop's. But I won't be upgrading it until a much better processor and GPU come out.

Yeah, good move. I have only bought 2 MacBook pros in 6 years. They are so good, can last for yrs, and eventually I would feel very bad to throw them away. I don't see why they can be easily replaced, unless for CPU or graphic intensive work. My first 2007 mbp still servers as my girlfriend's first Mac and she absolutely loves it, even that she uses 16-core 4 monitor monster dell at work.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Apple's spearheading the much anticipated and much needed march into HiDPI computer displays for the computer industry and offering one of the nicest lines (the retina models) of laptops the company has ever made utilizing the quickest silicon intel and nvidia offer in some of the slimmest computers with the best build quality of any laptops on the market...

You guys are right, Apple is an iDevice company who has totally forgotten about the Mac... :rolleyes:

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
My safari will be much more snappier with these performance improvements.

Probably not. According to CPU benchmark the updated entry level cpu 3635QM (passmark 5522) is MUCH lower than the 2012 3615QM (passmark 7454).

I hope they don't just stick to phones and tablets. Apple's computers are awesome, especially considering the need for bootcamp. Makes my work life a lot easier!

I agree. I now use my rMBP nearly exclusively with bootcamp and it is a glorious machine.

Only if I'm traveling and goofing off/need lots of battery do I use OSX.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
its obvious I think that apple perfected the rmbp design by now. and the spec bump is just so they can say its the early 2013 model.
i'll be waiting haswell rmbp update in the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.