Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Yeah, I was going to increase everything by 1 too:
- i6 processor (i8 optional) at 2.7 (or 3.0) GHz
- 5GB RAM (9GB optional)
- Intel HD 4001
- 721p camera
- 3 USB 4.0 ports, 2 MagSafe 3 connectors
- 65GB SSD (upgradeable up to 513GB)
- BlueTooth 5.0
- Wi-Fi 803.11 ! Finally !
- Retina2 (TM) display ! Quadruples the Retina resolution, so you get 5464x3072 on the 11". Suddenly, everybody (and their grandmothers) need 17 megapixel screens to make those DSLRs with 12MP look silly.

Peter.

Surely that would be a 12 inch MBA.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
It's only a matter of time before all Apple computers have Retina displays. If it doesn't happen with the Airs this year, it probably will next year. When that happens, I agree with those who think that Apple will consolidate its laptop line to 11", 13", and 15" models. The 11" and 13" models will have integrated GPUs, and the 15" will have a dedicated GPU, just like now. Integrated GPUs will be fast enough for all but hard-core gaming and heavy 3D modeling. Many argue that the HD4000 is already fast enough for the vast majority of users. Otherwise, with an all-Retina lineup, there won't be much to differentiate a 13" MBA from a 13" MBP, other than ports.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Here's a quick mockup of how I think the 2013 Air may look, with the antiglare glass screen (but not necessarily retina resolution):

Attachments

• 2013_Air_Concept.png
    2013_Air_Concept.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 248

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If I had any say in the matter, I'd ask for Haswell, IPS display, doesn't need to be retina, but put a good battery in there. Let's see 7-10 hour battery life. Same thickness ok, same weight ok.

Oh, and I want to be able to have one in my hands before my trip in mid-July. You got all that, Apple? :)

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Oh, and I want to be able to have one in my hands before my trip in mid-July. You got all that, Apple? :)

Don't think that's going to happen. The ULV chips that the Air uses most likely aren't being updated to Haswell until later this year, they aren't coming with the first wave of Haswell chips in June/July.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Don't think that's going to happen. The ULV chips that the Air uses most likely aren't being updated to Haswell until later this year, they aren't coming with the first wave of Haswell chips in June/July.

Yeah. I read the article posted recently predicting Q3 2013 release, so it looks like I'll be making do with my old laptop for a little bit longer.

Hasn't Apple received chipsets earlier than the official release in the past? I know it's not likely to happen though...

Mopar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Here's a quick mockup of how I think the 2013 Air may look, with the antiglare glass screen (but not necessarily retina resolution):
Count me out - no way do I want a fragile glass screen on my Air. I like 'em tough the way they are. The Air is built for work and travel - the way it should be.

The only compromise I could think of is less bezel around the display - either a smaller footprint or a bigger screen. A 12"-13" screen in a current 11"-sized body would be nice. A bit like the current rMBP, only thinner, with no glass.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The only compromise I could think of is less bezel around the display - either a smaller footprint or a bigger screen. A 12"-13" screen in a current 11"-sized body would be nice. A bit like the current rMBP, only thinner, with no glass.

The 12" PowerBook was my favourite laptop ever, and I wish they still made something in that size.

11" Air is too small. 13" Air is too big. Just make a 12", Apple! :p

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Count me out - no way do I want a fragile glass screen on my Air. I like 'em tough the way they are. The Air is built for work and travel - the way it should be.

The Air screen already has a glass layer. Pretty much all LCDs do. The Air's glass just stops at the edges of the screen, with an aluminum bezel in between. The RMBP design takes that same LCD glass and extends it to the edge of the display. Going to the glass bezel wouldn't be adding glass, it would just be removing the extra piece of aluminum.

Agreed on the footprint thing. I don't think that the 11" Air can get any smaller because of the keyboard, but perhaps it could get a slightly larger display.

It seems weird that the 13" RMBP has a smaller footprint than the 13" Air as well.

Going to the extended-glass bezel should actually help them shrink the bezels around the screen.

Maybe we'll get 12" and 14" Airs to go alongside the 13" and 15" MBPs?

Last edited:

Mopar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
You're right about the LCD screens. But correct me if I'm wrong, don't the MacBook Pros have an extra layer of glossy glass over their screen? Whatever it is, I don't like it.

As for a 12" MBA, the current 11" model is already 11.6", so it's not that far off. I'd really like to see a 13" screen in an 11" body.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
You're right about the LCD screens. But correct me if I'm wrong, don't the MacBook Pros have an extra layer of glossy glass over their screen? Whatever it is, I don't like it.

The non-retina ones do. The new retina ones do not have an extra glass layer, it's just the existing LCD glass extended to the edge of the bezel. The result is a lot less reflection/glare than the previous MBP glossy/glass screens.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Now that Google has an Air-like laptop with a retina type of resolution, I think we'll see retina Air this year

Andreasx95

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Now that Google has an Air-like laptop with a retina type of resolution, I think we'll see retina Air this year

Sounds true.
Apple needs to compete with the Google laptops, so a Retina display sounds promising. Would this take much of the battery life?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

The Chromebook has an Air-class processor, but it's heavier and has worse battery life than the 13" Air. I don't see Apple making those same tradeoffs.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
The Chromebook has an Air-class processor, but it's heavier and has worse battery life than the 13" Air. I don't see Apple making those same tradeoffs.

Sounds true.
Apple needs to compete with the Google laptops, so a Retina display sounds promising. Would this take much of the battery life?

Well they probably redesigned the logic board completely, plus Haswell and then IGZO, I think IGZO (major battery life improvement) is not ready for devices all across the board but now probably enough for Air, I think it would be fitting to redesign Air like that since its due for a refresh, I'm expecting even thinner/lighter Air this time round.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That chromebook pixel is closer to the retina pro than any air I have seen.

What are the odds of apple unifying their laptop line so we have only retina versions? I mean, honestly, what's the difference between a retina pro vs retina air? Both lack cd-drives, use soldered ram and ssd, same processors...???

imac5

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, I was going to increase everything by 1 too:
- i6 processor (i8 optional) at 2.7 (or 3.0) GHz
- 5GB RAM (9GB optional)
- Intel HD 4001
- 721p camera
- 3 USB 4.0 ports, 2 MagSafe 3 connectors
- 65GB SSD (upgradeable up to 513GB)
- BlueTooth 5.0
- Wi-Fi 803.11 ! Finally !
- Retina2 (TM) display ! Quadruples the Retina resolution, so you get 5464x3072 on the 11". Suddenly, everybody (and their grandmothers) need 17 megapixel screens to make those DSLRs with 12MP look silly.

Peter.

Hey, obviously you have no idea how computers work because none of the things you listed make sense. They don't just increase the numbers by 1 when they upgrade the older technologies, usually they'll give an entirely new name or jump by 10 at least.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Hey, obviously you have no idea how computers work because none of the things you listed make sense. They don't just increase the numbers by 1 when they upgrade the older technologies, usually they'll give an entirely new name or jump by 10 at least.

Irony is the word you should google out;)

----------

Well they probably redesigned the logic board completely, plus Haswell and then IGZO, I think IGZO (major battery life improvement) is not ready for devices all across the board but now probably enough for Air, I think it would be fitting to redesign Air like that since its due for a refresh, I'm expecting even thinner/lighter Air this time round.

Igzo tech has not been tested, i dont believe apples first igzo product will be air... They will pribably use smaller igzo displays firstly

MatthaiosSaraj

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
There is a chance apple will use new 7 watt ivy bridge processors for this year upgrade and haswell processors for the next year. Intel notebook haswell processors won't come until late Q3 or early Q4 and apple can't afford to go into back to school season without upgraded air.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
That chromebook pixel is closer to the retina pro than any air I have seen.
pixel resolution: 12.85″
air resolution: 13.3"

this makes it more like the Air along with everything else Google made out the pixel to be.

are the odds of apple unifying their laptop line so we have only retina versions? I mean, honestly, what's the difference between a retina pro vs retina air? Both lack cd-drives, use soldered ram and ssd, same processors...???
The pro allows for faster processes and more RAM/storage.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
pixel resolution: 12.85″
air resolution: 13.3"

this makes it more like the Air along with everything else Google made out the pixel to be.

The pro allows for faster processes and more RAM/storage.

That's screen size, not resolution. Remember that Apple also makes a 13" retina MBP with a 13.3" screen with 2560x1600 resolution. That's the closest thing Apple has right now to the Pixel.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
argh correct :)

I meant screen size.

Its just all over the web mostly people are comparing the pixel to the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.