Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
It's evolution. First we had Bluetools, those people who walked around all day with their Bluetooth headsets. Now we're going to have glass holes.

Last edited:

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Imagine what this type of technology will look like in 40 years.

Graphene screens could be useful here... screens which are microns thick and flexible implanted onto the surface of your eye perhaps? It wouldn't require much power either, perhaps a small solar panel put just next to your retina so it still gathers light but doesn't effect your vision. The circuit and electrical components could also be housed inside your eye away from your retina.

Couple that with mind control (don't laugh, it will probably be a reality in 40 years time) and BAM, you've got something amazing.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking

TJGilbert21

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
How does this work?

Okay, my opinions aside, I just don't get how this works! I mean, sure, for the majority, they're telling it, "Okay, Glass, record a video," but then these videos go and show people browsing through menus or sending an image to someone ALL without TELLING Glass anything! How are they navigating the operating system without touching anything? Or are we not seeing them pushing buttons along the side or something? Or has Google actually invented a device that can read your mind?

There are a lot of falsities about these videos. I'm certain the product won't be nearly as amazing in real life as these videos show it off to be.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Way too much radiation near my precious brain from the Google Glass you might think.

They might be too early.
Just like Microsoft was too early with Tablet computers to get schooled by Apple and the iPad.
What people would be willing to wear is the iPin, the iButton or an iCamera or iEye.
Something that sits in your pocket or clips onto your clothing somehow.
It could have a camera and GPS, WiFI and Bluetooth.
And when you want to see what it has to display, you look at

wait for it

your iWatch.

So in the future, in order to have different services or features, I'll need to wear different devices depending on what I want...and then look somewhere else to actually access/view data from those devices? And run the risk of me losing and/or forgetting to wear these pieces of Apple "flair"? No thanks... Apple "flair" doesn't appeal to me. I guess from your perspective we'll be moving away from the world of converging devices into a world of fragmented ones. I for one, hope this doesn't happen. I'm perfectly happy carrying around just my iPhone,

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I'm not sure how successful this will be; however, I appreciate the concept.
It's sure to spawn other, more practical variances.

That said, I have no desire for one in this current configuration/price.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple never shows off what they are developing before they are actually going to release it.

And they normally don't release things until they're quite confident it's ready for the masses and will sell. That's what was so disappointing about the maps app. Not ready for prime time.

jcazalet

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I give Google tons of points here for trying something new, and I would certainly love to try one in some capacity

BUT....1500 is just too much for a novelty product of limited function.

Thats for the developer version that is just a prototype of the device not the actual production device and it will be a lot cheaper. It is really meant for app developers to build applications for it and be able to release them at launch time.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Wow, I am a huge apple fan but I don't let that limit my vision.

Google glass is just missing some useful apps and suddenly it turns into a AR tool.

Look at this TED Sixth Sense video: http://www.wired.com/business/2009/02/ted-digital-six/

Google glass can perform this as is. Its just a matter of feeding images into googles existing search algorithm and providing a useful output.

Think of this. Go shopping. Pick something up and immediately see ratings, competitive prices, ingredients, etc. No more taking a phone out of the pocket to snap a pic, and feed it into the appropriate app.

See something on TV or in a magazine and immediately 'bookmark' it to review later or do additional searches for information.

Get in a car accident and immediately have replay footage.

And with future versions possible real time driving alerts for things you may not notice like Speed Cameras, Deer, Pedestrians.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Okay, my opinions aside, I just don't get how this works! I mean, sure, for the majority, they're telling it, "Okay, Glass, record a video," but then these videos go and show people browsing through menus or sending an image to someone ALL without TELLING Glass anything! How are they navigating the operating system without touching anything? Or are we not seeing them pushing buttons along the side or something? Or has Google actually invented a device that can read your mind?

There are a lot of falsities about these videos. I'm certain the product won't be nearly as amazing in real life as these videos show it off to be.

It has a touch zone to interact with the UI

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

but I think when it's released to the general public, people will creatively find novel uses for it...

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Wow, I am a huge apple fan but I don't let that limit my vision.

Google glass is just missing some useful apps and suddenly it turns into a AR tool.

Look at this TED Sixth Sense video: http://www.wired.com/business/2009/02/ted-digital-six/

Google glass can perform this as is. Its just a matter of feeding images into googles existing search algorithm and providing a useful output.

Think of this. Go shopping. Pick something up and immediately see ratings, competitive prices, ingredients, etc. No more taking a phone out of the pocket to snap a pic, and feed it into the appropriate app.

See something on TV or in a magazine and immediately 'bookmark' it to review later or do additional searches for information.

Get in a car accident and immediately have replay footage.

And with future versions possible real time driving alerts for things you may not notice like Speed Cameras, Deer, Pedestrians.

It has huge potential. Hope it doesn't end up like Q.

whoami

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I think glass is pretty damn cool.. it's too bad the design/look is awful. Once they can make the camera and electronics disappear this will be massive..

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I keep thinking of the "Six Million Dollar Man" and his bionic eye. Yeah, I know I'm showing my age. But what if I was playing golf and could get an accurate estimate of the distance to the pin, plus wind direction? Or if I'm shopping and I could scan barcodes and see if the price was better at a nearby store. Or get push notifications about things I'm planning to buy while I'm walking in the mall. Or check my March Madness Bracket during a boring meeting without having to look at my phone or computer. It seems like there could be endless applications for this if it is done right. And eventually they will make nice looking versions that don't look any different than regular glasses. I was skeptical, but am getting more excited about the potential.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I spend $3800 on my eyes to get rid of glasses.

Like hell I'm spending $1500 to go back to that style.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

• It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

You must either be a teen or pre-teen who never used the original iPhone (or just ignorant of how technology progresses), because some of your points above applied to iPhone 1. It performed basic mobile functions (albeit via a great user interface) but had very poor call quality. It didn't have any downloadable apps and a horrible camera to boot. Poor battery life was included...oh, and it was also outrageously expensive.

You also apparently don't have much imagination either for how technology like this could be applied. Keep reading this thread and maybe you'll be enlightened to the fact that this actually does have quite a bit of real world usage (and do you also realize that military applications of data being delivered via a monocle or HUD already exist)?

Anyway... feel free to remain encumbered by the RDF that you choose to keep yourself in :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.