Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
And the solution to those that would want a pair, but already wear glasses and don't have contacts is?...

Sunglasses? I don't wear glasses but I do wear sunglasses pretty much any time I am outside during daylight. These would just need polarized lenses.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Will probably go the same direction as Google Wave and the Chromebook...

People look dumb enough going around talking to their bluetooth headsets by themselves. Talking to your glasses and saying "Google glass" ever 20 seconds will be so annoying - especially by the ones that are trying to show off they have one.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Nice to know that the Google Ad at the bottom of MacRumors pages are appropriately optimized...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 2.15.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 2.15.01 PM.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 98

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Do people seriously not see the appeal in this?

It's like a handsfree smartphone for tasks that don't require much input. FaceTime conversations, for instance. Perfect for that. Maps/directions, sending/receiving messages via Siri.

Recording photos and videos without having to take out your phone. It's gonna make apps like Vine really useful. No funny moment will go missed while you struggle to get your phone out in time.

It would go perfectly with my cellular iPad mini which can stay in my pocket when Glass will suffice. Way better than a smart watch that requires you to look at your hand instead of what's in front of you.

Totally agree.
Except it would be really cool if they could figure out a way to reverse the camera so the other party could see your face. But in instances of "Hey [Insert name here] check out my new apartment!" It's pretty sweet.

MadIvan

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
If my opinion is that girls are from Venus, my opinion is wrong.

Ooh, a pedantic subthread! Actually, if you thought girls were from Venus that would not be an opinion. You would just be misinformed. Opinions are subjective assessments, not factual statements, and as such can not be wrong. Your misunderstanding of the definition of the word opinion does not constitute a credible argument.

Last edited:

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
When I first read about Google Glass, I was reminded of the prediction by Freeman Dyson (in Imagined Worlds) that, by the end of this century, folks will have cortical plants for internet connectivity. This seems to bring us one step closer...

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why are you trying to refine terms to suit your own views?

According to the dictionary definition of "innovate" -

* Make changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods, ideas, or products.
* Introduce something new, esp. a product.

A product doesn't have to sell to "the masses" in order to be innovative.

These glasses are innovative.

throwing tech against the wall to see what sticks isn't innovating. it's r&d.

innovating is the deployment and creation of new technology to the masses to change lives. that includes android, google maps, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

maybe someday google glass will become innovation.

------

These glasses are very cool. The product is in its early life - but the price will come down - and a much richer set of functionality.

No way could I justify spending 1,500 on one of these.. but in a few years after price drops??

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Sounds great! Can't wait to buy my Google Glass and accompany it with a Google Chromebook.

Or, I could pay my mortgage for 4 months.

MadIvan

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
It is a pity that the industry is all about fake videos.

A roller coaster car is about to go down insanely fast and yet, your head don't move.

An acrobatic plane does a sharp roll and yet, your head don't move an inch.

And it goes.

I wonder if the movies, or pictures, or anything at all would be any useful.

We will see when the first units come out. But I'm quite curious if that will work at all.

Exactly. Does the camera in these track to your eye movements? If not, you would have to be keeping your eyes straight ahead and be constantly moving your head to point at things. Not good.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If Apple were doing this people like you will be saying how Apple's ripping off Star Trek. Apple made absolutely nothing inside the glasses. The chips are from company xyz, the glass are from company abc, and assembled by foxconn. All Apple does is marketing.

:rolleyes: You know nothing about me but i am sure it would be a home run to posters in here. No doubt about it.

I have no interest at the moment in getting it for various reasons.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It is a pity that the industry is all about fake videos.

A roller coaster car is about to go down insanely fast and yet, your head don't move.

An acrobatic plane does a sharp roll and yet, your head don't move an inch.

And it goes.

I wonder if the movies, or pictures, or anything at all would be any useful.

We will see when the first units come out. But I'm quite curious if that will work at all.

Ejem, the video is to show how is the interface works.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Battery Life?

Can't imagine the battery life on this thing is more than 1 - 2 hrs. Yet something else I need to charge in my life.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

Just because Apple doesn´t show prototypes or stuff they´re currently working on years before the actual product rolls out, just like Google´s been doing it for at least a couple of years with this glasses, doesn´t mean Apple isn´t innovating behind closed doors.

Just like with the iWatch and Apple TV, I´m sure Apple is working on something similar to this glasses and some other stuff we can´t even imagine.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I can come up similar video taking POV shots from all possible angles & locations. Then add some funky stuff in post production ..... will it be consider as innovation?
Whats wrong with you Google? show us product not some video which can be made by anybody :D

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd try it out if I could pick them up for $200 or so. They look like they could be the next big thing--especially if a variety of designs eventually get released.

At just under $1500 they are a bit pricey for me. It's not as if pulling out my smartphone is that much of an imposition. I also assume AT&T will not allow me to tether it to my iPhone unless I give up unlimited data.

r4man

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
This looks cool, but:

At $1,500.00 it will have to work really well, very limited glitches, crashes, etc.

Will it be hackable in a way that will allow strangers to be able to see what you are seeing?

How will people react to those wearing them? Imagine if people you were talking to thought you were recording them, would they dislike it? Even walking down the street, don't you react differently if someone is holding a video camera? If I saw someone with one of these on I would assume I am being filmed.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Ooh, a pedantic subthread! Actually, if you though girls were from Venus that would not be an opinion. You would just be misinformed. Opinions are subjective assessments, not factual statements, and as such can not be wrong. Your misunderstanding of the definition of the word opinion does not constitute a credible argument.

I admit my example wasn't great, but this discussion will get very political very quickly if I used a real example.

An invalid opinion and a "wrong" opinion are almost completely synonymous. The poster used "wrong", my opinion was "invalid". Either way, the idea that opinions cannot be wrong is foolish, as politics today are filled with invalid opinions that govern our lives (if you want to talk more about that, we should go to the appropriate forum).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Can't imagine the battery life on this thing is more than 1 - 2 hrs. Yet something else I need to charge in my life.

If that's the best or worst you can comment on - then I'd say Google's on to something LOL

MadIvan

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
Do people seriously not see the appeal in this?

It's like a handsfree smartphone for tasks that don't require much input. FaceTime conversations, for instance. Perfect for that. Maps/directions, sending/receiving messages via Siri.

Recording photos and videos without having to take out your phone. It's gonna make apps like Vine really useful. No funny moment will go missed while you struggle to get your phone out in time.

It would go perfectly with my cellular iPad mini which can stay in my pocket when Glass will suffice. Way better than a smart watch that requires you to look at your hand instead of what's in front of you.

So does it have an extendable arm with a camera on it that hangs in front of your face while you are video chatting? Cause when I video chat with someone, I want to see them, not what they are looking at.

Driving seems like a truly awful application that will cause a lot of accidents. What you want when driving is voice instructions so you don't have to take any of your visual focus off the road.

It should work well for video recording once you train yourself to aim the camera and keep it steady. It's an improved wearable camera since it lets you visualize your framing while shooting. That use doesn't appeal to me, but I suppose there would be a market for it.

----------

i'm sure you'll be able to have frame options/ prescriptions made eventually..

seems like a lot of professional fields could use these to their advantage..

for instance, throw a safety frame on there and they'll be very good tools in construction fields.. cut lists, assembly docs, etc ..sent straight from the cad files to a seemingly optimum viewing position..

When you are using something like a power saw, you want to be looking at the saw, not the instructions. It only takes a moment of inattention for something very bad to happen on a construction site. Why do people think this is a good idea?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Driving seems like a truly awful application that will cause a lot of accidents. What you want when driving is voice instructions so you don't have to take any of your visual focus off the road.

Or a head-up-display that could draw overlay indicators on your windshield. That would be cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.