Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:14 AM   #1
bpl323
macrumors 6502

Pairing BT keyboard/trackpad to a monitor?

Odd question, I know, but I have two computers that I use with an Apple Display. I also have a BT keyboard and trackpad that I only use when the computers are connected to the display. Is there any way (a USB dongle or something connected to the monitor) to have the keyboard/trackpad only work with whichever computer is connected to the monitor via USB? Thanks for any help.
bpl323 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Don't know about your existing keyboard, but logitech has a keyboard that allows you to switch between 3 devices easily.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...iphone?crid=26
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
Don't know about your existing keyboard, but logitech has a keyboard that allows you to switch between 3 devices easily.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...iphone?crid=26
I own one. I wouldn't recommend. It takes like 15 seconds on the switch between, and frequently loses connection if the computer sleeps.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:31 PM   #4
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
I own one. I wouldn't recommend. It takes like 15 seconds on the switch between, and frequently loses connection if the computer sleeps.
Just so that I understand, when the computer goes to sleep the keyboard lose connection to the other device or just to the computer? Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
madsci954
macrumors 68000

The BT keyboard and trackpad connect to the computer, not the display. I'm not sure if there is something that you can connect to the display, but I don't think there is such product (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I think using a wired keyboard and mouse plugged into the display will get you what you want.
madsci954 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpl323 View Post
Odd question, I know, but I have two computers that I use with an Apple Display. I also have a BT keyboard and trackpad that I only use when the computers are connected to the display. Is there any way (a USB dongle or something connected to the monitor) to have the keyboard/trackpad only work with whichever computer is connected to the monitor via USB? Thanks for any help.
Not tried this myself but others have suggested pairing the BT keyboard and trackpad with both computers and simply toggle Bluetooth off on the computer you are not using and turn Bluetooth on on ther other. When you need to switch computers reverse the process.
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion