Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Give me the freedom and I will go back.

I want to be able to customized my iPhone like this...

One Finger
swipe up GMAIL
swipe down MESSAGING

Two Fingers
swipe up MUSIC
swipe down VIDEOS

"lily carter" BROWSER
"4.1.2" SCOTIABANK

Double Tap PHONE

...etc.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2013-02-21-21-33-33.png
    Screenshots_2013-02-21-21-33-33.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 121

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
One thing I like about iOS is a lot of the smaller devs make really fun games and other great apps usually only for iOS. I've seen some apps on Android not get updated because the dev didn't want to have to support a bunch of different devices. The most recent I can think of is the dev of Zombieville USA.
Well that it's it for me. If no update comes soon to Zombieville USA I'm throwing my Note 2 in the trash.

Or I could, perhaps, play one of the gazillion similar games in that genre.

Michael

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I am seeing this a lot lately in posts.

I wonder if this is because a) the alternatives have failed to completely woo the users or b) the Apple allure is quite strong?

Just curious because while it seems people are "loving" WP, android, BB etc, they are itching to get back to iOS for some reason.

The apple allure is quite strong indeed, but that has faded since the days of the the iPhone reigning sumpreme by a larger margin than it currently does. I switched because the offerings on Android are better than what the iPhone can do for me personally. If they put in a 5.5" 1080p display with amazing battery life and added quick settings to iOS maybe split screen multitasking too then I might switch back, but if they don't then switching back to iOS would be a downgrade

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Well that it's it for me. If no update comes soon to Zombieville USA I'm throwing my Note 2 in the trash.

Or I could, perhaps, play one of the gazillion similar games in that genre.

Michael

Good job putting words in my mouth to prove your point. I use Android and I like Android but I have seen devs stop supporting their apps because they don't want to support so many devices. It's certainly not a deal breaker but it is a bit annoying.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Good job putting words in my mouth to prove your point. I use Android and I like Android but I have seen devs stop supporting their apps because they don't want to support so many devices. It's certainly not a deal breaker but it is a bit annoying.

How did I put "words in your mouth?"

Mike

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Unfortunately, it seems like Apple is "upgrading" their iPhone one component at a time. This is way too slow for the tech world. Great, the iphone 5 has 4g, but what else has it gained? Not much really. The new body style is absolutely horrible. I have yet to see an iPhone 5 that isn't scratched up to hell.

It's true things run smoother on iOS and integration of everything is pretty good, but there is nothing else that gives iOS the upper hand anymore. I am enjoying my Note2 so unbelievably much. I mean the endless capabilities of a system that is not locked down to one simple mindset is truly amazing.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
It's not so much "If Apple does this, I will go back".

It's more like "If Apple does this, I would consider it again" mean while comparing it to Android to see which one ticks more boxes

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I think for me personally it is that I would like to have two viable options for smartphones rather than just one.

I'm happy with Android but no platform is perfect and there are certain things that annoy me (just like there are certain things that annoy me about my Mac but that doesn't mean I want to be on windows)

But if Apple had an OS that was (IMHO) better to use then I would have even more options for a good smartphone.

Right now I feel like my options are limited to Google Nexus devices or maybe high-end android's from Samsung, HTC, Motorola but it would be nice if I could also consider the iPhone 5 (because it is a nice phone). Right now iOS takes the iPhone 5 out of the running for me (as well as the fantastically designed iPad mini) because of its limitations.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if iOS 7 brought everything I ever dreamed of to the iOS platform I would still be making a long hard decision between the next Nexus vs the next iphone/ipad but at least I would be able to consider Apple in the running. More good choices is always nice for the consumer!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
For many, I think it's the ecosystem that they really miss. While android manufacturers have adopted larger form factors and put more bells and whistles in the software, it's the ecosystem that Apple has locked down as the best experience for syncing between devices, iOS and OSX. I know it was a primary consideration for me when I finally got a smart phone. Now when I need to pass some time, say while in the waiting room at the doctor, I read a book on my iphone that is bookmarked where I left off on my ipad mini. That's pretty cool. I'm curious to try other platforms, but I have other priorities with my money and just haven't seen anything the competition has to offer that overrides that. I really hope BB succeeds and WP8 as well. Competition is good.

This right here for real. I'm really curious about the windows phone in fact I really liked it when I played with them and would love to try one for a while. However the apple ecosystem is so valuable to my needs that simply being bored or wanting a new toy gadget just because is too superficial and petty to ditch it in favor of less important (to my needs) fluffy elements.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The apple allure is quite strong indeed, but that has faded since the days of the the iPhone reigning sumpreme by a larger margin than it currently does. I switched because the offerings on Android are better than what the iPhone can do for me personally. If they put in a 5.5" 1080p display with amazing battery life and added quick settings to iOS maybe split screen multitasking too then I might switch back, but if they don't then switching back to iOS would be a downgrade

Agreed and same here. Sadly, even if they had those features I may be too heavy into the Google services to switch. I just love Gmail on Android too much, and Gmail on iOS just doesn't cut it.

For many, I think it's the ecosystem that they really miss. While android manufacturers have adopted larger form factors and put more bells and whistles in the software, it's the ecosystem that Apple has locked down as the best experience for syncing between devices, iOS and OSX. I know it was a primary consideration for me when I finally got a smart phone. Now when I need to pass some time, say while in the waiting room at the doctor, I read a book on my iphone that is bookmarked where I left off on my ipad mini. That's pretty cool. I'm curious to try other platforms, but I have other priorities with my money and just haven't seen anything the competition has to offer that overrides that. I really hope BB succeeds and WP8 as well. Competition is good.

If it was two years ago I'd agree with you. Now, I really see Google's cloud services as trumping iCloud on the simple fact that it's platform agnostic and doesn't require additional purchases.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
When I had my iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S I believed that I had the best phone produced, since then Apple haven't done that. When they bring out another phone and update it's OS and convince me that it is the best again. That's when I will switch back. IMHO, that will not happen again till at least mid 2014, and even then, the competition may have moved further ahead, maybe too far for me to ever go back.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Agreed and certainly the truth for some of us. Apple hasn't stolen my heart since 2006 or so.

Maybe Apple isn't the company you thought they were?

----------

Give me the freedom and I will go back.

I want to be able to customized my iPhone like this...

One Finger
swipe up GMAIL
swipe down MESSAGING

Two Fingers
swipe up MUSIC
swipe down VIDEOS

"lily carter" BROWSER
"4.1.2" SCOTIABANK

Double Tap PHONE

...etc.

In other words, you want it to be like Android.

----------

I see you commenting on 1080p video on a 5.5" phone screen being an attraction to you.

May I ask why?

----------

It's not so much "If Apple does this, I will go back".

It's more like "If Apple does this, I would consider it again" mean while comparing it to Android to see which one ticks more boxes

So, you are, admittedly, a specs shopper.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I personally want apple to release a new iPhone, that is totally radical, not something that is .5 of an inch longer, and slightly thinner. I want something that is going to start some serious hype, and put all of the other companies into some serious mess like apple did back when they released the original iPhone, and again when they released the original iPad.
Well, thats my two cents, :cool:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I personally want apple to release a new iPhone, that is totally radical, not something that is .5 of an inch longer, and slightly thinner. I want something that is going to start some serious hype, and put all of the other companies into some serious mess like apple did back when they released the original iPhone, and again when they released the original iPad.
Well, thats my two cents, :cool:

Historically, that's not Apple's thing.

They didn't do it with subsequent iPods.
They don't do it with subsequent iPads.
They don't do it with subsequent Macs.

What DOES Apple do innovation-wise? They break into new categories and correct problems they identify with current offerings and vastly improve the experience. The fact that some people find that product transformative is a great side-benefit, but they're not setting out to make something radical that will tickle your testicles.

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Looks like many here are indeed ticking their spec boxes to see which device fulfills that, which many current ones do.

I know that once i do get a nexus 4, and its battery life for my usage needs lasts a day, my chances of getting an iPhone are zero until the nexus 4 breaks or iOS brings something radical to interest me. For example BB10 was quite interesting to me because of their "flow" interface and that keyboard.

Notice how that is software based instead of spec based. My reason for going to a nexus is the same. Nexus gets behind in hardware fast, but it is crazy future proof because of the up to date software and i like stock Jellybean a heck of a lot more. If i need features that the bloated OEM skins have, i will download an app and motivate a developer to make more of those just like i do it on the iPhone. I like the blank slate-ness of the nexus.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
If I end up leaving my iPhone 5 this year, it will be for a phablet.

I think it's pretty obvious what Apple needs to do with respect to their hardware. They should release a 5" and 5.5" iPhone. I think we'll see a 5" iPhone by 2014. The phablet won't come to fruition unless the category continues to grow a great deal (which I expect it will).

If Apple offers a 4", 5", and 5.5" iPhone, then I think they'll be in the driver's seat. iOS always has room for improvement and hopefully iOS 7 is a much larger leap forward compared to 6. But my biggest issue with Apple right now is the lack of change they have made to the screen size. That's where the competition is blowing them away.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
A year before the iPad mini came out, I questioned why couldn't Apple release both a 7" & 10" and was basically FLAMED for it. Look where the mini is now.

Sure why not, BlackBerry did and if it wasn't for the lack of Apps I would still have the Z10.

iTunes is the reason I still haven't completely drop the iPhone.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Sure why not, BlackBerry did and if it wasn't for the lack of Apps I would still have the Z10.

iTunes is the reason I still haven't completely drop the iPhone.

Wait. Didn't BB just announce the Z10? How have you already had one and decided to return it??

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I gave Android a try mid-way through the 4S - I bought a Galaxy Nexus.

I always buy handsets unlocked - didn't think think the iPhone 4S was worth the €600 next to a GNex at €350.

My experience:

- Hardware build quality is poor. Lots of cheap, flimsy, breakable plastics.

- Plasticy flaps: Apple stopped that decades ago (if they ever did it) - there's no flaps or anything to detach and break on their devices. Their laptops, phones, tablets are all one solid unit.

- Screen quality is poor. Pentile matrix.

- App selection is poor. The top apps list hasn't changed much in the 8-10 months I've had the phone. On iOS there's always lots of new, high-quality things to explore.

- App quality is poor. Lots of weed-growing simulators, wallpapers and ringtones. Even the big-name games like FIFA 13 are just shadows of their console-quality iOS counterparts.

+ There's basically only one Android app I would rate as being a killer app: Öffi - the public transport app. It's got a widget showing the times of the station nearest to me (so I can time my walk), and its data is great (links to the networks directly IIRC - not using any sort of Google API). It's a fantastic app for its data, but like many Android apps it has a terribly awkward UI. Like I said, it's also the only Android app I'd wish for on iOS.

0 There are some cool theoretical possibilities : I have the PA ROM installed so I can switch to tablet mode, and there's an IDE that lets you write and test apps on the device. That said, they're not really usable - so I don't use them and wouldn't really miss them.

Apple hasn't wowed me much recently, but they've still got the best ecosystem. All things considered, the iPhone is the better product; the one I'd rather have.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Maybe Apple isn't the company you thought they were?

Oh no it is. It's changed, but in terms of direction only which i don't find a major problem. The lack of satisfaction comes in what Apple lets slip through the cracks.

So, you are, admittedly, a specs shopper.

While I agree that specs aren't everything they do matter. Even as an Apple fanboy myself I demand a certain standard in my hardware. Anyone saying that specs aren't everything should just go back to a PowerMac G5 and a Powerbook G4 and the original iPhone and try to make the same claim.

A year before the iPad mini came out, I questioned why couldn't Apple release both a 7" & 10" and was basically FLAMED for it. Look where the mini is now.

Welcome to the club.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Only reason I put up with Apple's restrictive OS and its various ridiculous lock-ins (not to mention the syncing with iTunes crap) was because the competition simply was not a satisfactory alternative up until maybe a year and a half ago, Apple were ahead enough in innovation to justify me sticking with it.

At this stage, I'm jaded enough with the entire Apple motif and OS to say that I won't even buy back into Apple if they do innovate, because the competition will knock it off in half a year's time, then I have the new tech AND an open OS / rom of my choice, which I discovered means a lot more to me. (Buying from the company that came up with it first doesn't mean anything to me, especially not if it means having to stick with iOS, an OS I've grown to seriously dislike over the better part of 2 years now). The Android-phone-maker's strategy of brute-forcing the smoothness experience with insane spec bumps may not be as elegant as Apple's, but it works just as well nowadays, something that couldn't be said even a year ago. (Of course, google have caught on too, project butter)

Seeing as I generally don't keep any piece of tech for longer than 8 months, there's also more to choose from among the competition because they release top-notch phones at a much faster pace. There will be more to decide among OS wise too, especially now that Ubuntu is kicking off, and even though it will need some time to ripe, it looks very promising already. (Curious about Firefox too, admittedly Tizen, BB OS and Windows phone 8 aren't doing anything for me at the moment)

Maybe part of why I turned my back on Apple is because I spent the better part of 5 years lapping up their rhetoric and fawning over their devices, I'm quite tired of them nowadays, and my enthusiasm to experiment and "see foreign shores" has simply overwhelmed me after half a decade of being in Apple's park. I'm increasingly discovering that these foreign shores are what I wanted all along, going back to Android was like a homecoming for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.