Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:27 PM   #1
ddublu
macrumors 6502a

What needs to be turned off to avoid international charges?

Heading to Punta Cana on Friday....I had a Verizon intl plan put on my iPhone 5 but would really like to step away from work for this vacation....The resort will have wifi around the whole place so when I do have my device I will use that for most communication.....obviously i would turn cellular off but around messaging, is turning off "send as sms" the only other thing to turn off? MMS too, right?
ddublu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
Heading to Punta Cana on Friday....I had a Verizon intl plan put on my iPhone 5 but would really like to step away from work for this vacation....The resort will have wifi around the whole place so when I do have my device I will use that for most communication.....obviously i would turn cellular off but around messaging, is turning off "send as sms" the only other thing to turn off? MMS too, right?
If you want nothing to come through on charges, calls, texts, etc, they make sure to put it in "Airplane Mode", if you want to get calls and texts, make sure to turn off "data roaming".

all of that is in settings
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
bilboa
macrumors regular

Airplane mode will certainly prevent you from getting charges, but the problem is it also disables Wifi and Bluetooth, which you don't want.

Turning off Cellular Data and Send as SMS, and not answering your phone if it rings, will take care of most of the problem. However you will still be able to receive text messages via SMS, which I think you still get charged for. If you don't get many text messages then this might be sufficient for you. I'm not aware of a setting to completely turn off the cellular connection, other than Airplane Mode which disables everything.

I have an AT&T phone so I can just pull the sim card, which completely takes care of the problem. I know Verizon phones for use only in the USA don't use sim cards, but I see that the Verizon iPhone supports GSM for international use. Does that mean it has a sim card? If so you could just pull it out to disable the cellular connection completely while out of the country. At least assuming Punta Cana is using GSM and not CDMA...
bilboa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

You can turn on airplane mode and still manually switch on wi-fi.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
Turning off Cellular Data and Send as SMS, and not answering your phone if it rings, will take care of most of the problem.
Not quite. Due to the way GSM works you can end up being billed or double billed for calls that go to voicemail (once for the inbound call and once for the call going back to your voicemail center in the US). Airplane mode or shutting off the device is best practice if avoiding all international roaming charges are the top concern. As pointed out above, WiFi can be enabled in airplane mode.

At&t's site is very clear about this
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...oaming/faq.jsp

but Verizon doesn't seem to be.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
techchallenger
macrumors newbie

(For ATT phones only) I always simply lock the SIM when I am abroad...
techchallenger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
bilboa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
Cool! Thanks, I never realized that. Looks like you can turn on Bluetooth also. That solves the whole problem then I think. Just leave Airplane mode on, and turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
bilboa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Davejprince
macrumors regular

Just turn off dataroaming and you're fine.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #9
upnorth85
macrumors regular

If your phone is unlocked, an option could be to take along a sim cutter, buy a local sim and put it in your phone and have a local phone number. I generally have been using local SIMS in different countries for many years now.
upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
bilboa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejprince View Post
Just turn off dataroaming and you're fine.
Not quite, because you can still be charged for receiving text messages.
bilboa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:16 AM   #11
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
This is the easiest and quickest way to avoid all international charges, but still get any messages wifi capable.

Airport mode on, then manualy turn wifi back on.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:58 PM   #12
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
This is the easiest and quickest way to avoid all international charges, but still get any messages wifi capable.

Airport mode on, then manualy turn wifi back on.
With WiFi available, using that and iMessage (or any other data-based messaging service) along with Talkatone (or something else similar for calling, if needed) generally does the trick.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone