Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ameridansk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Anybody else noticing their Precious running hot and short on battery life since updating for something they don't even use?
___

MBP 17" 2009, MMini 2009, iPh 4s, iPad 3, AppleTV, more iPods than Indy can swat with a torch

Last edited:

ameridansk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
I've quit them all -- and I mean everything. Still running hot and watching the battery level count down faster than a shuttle launch :-( I just went from 19% to 1% in under 30 minutes with *nothing* running!

Last edited:

Boredathome

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Canada
May I suggest a backup and restore? Or, maybe a trip to the local Apple store. Wow! Look at me rhyme, I'm a poet and i didn't even know it!

LuluMc

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Could've fried an egg off my precious

I found my 4s completely powered down and scalding to the touch two nights ago, after little usage - except I did have a few apps (maybe around 10 running in the background - this has never caused a problem before.)
Freaked out, but was able to recharge it the next day - no problem or heating. Decided to delete some photos before backing it up and was browsing when it stopped working after maybe an hour suddenly and it seemed to get hotter once it had stopped.
However, I had not updated to 6.1 - just IOS 6.
When the phone cooled down I started it up, turned off the apps, backed it up and upgraded to 6.2 and it seems to be okay so far...

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Turning it off and back on will stop any rouge process. Nothing functioning normally should make the phone act like that. Some things that can are apps that sync data get "stuck" trying to send or receive. Same with e-mail (including webmail, not just Exchange). The expectations are that turning your phone off/on will stop the rouge process and the phone will behave normally until the same process starts again. More often then not it doesn't happen again. However, sometimes you have to find and delete / reinstall the app. There are lots of utilities out there that will let you see the running processes to find what is pegging your CPU. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.