Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
whatever Apple brings to the table for the living room, i'm in but mostly i'm interested in an Apple branded TV....i think Apple is taking a very long time on this....anyone here can't wait to get rid of their SONY bravia?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
My.....Sony Bravia....(how did you know?).....is on its last legs and i'm trying to hold out for Apples offering. No sure how long I can keep the wife at bay though.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Bought a Viera 3DTV last year so would feel guilty upgrading again; I'm almost hoping it's not launched for a while.

It'll probably be horribly over-priced, and missing some basic features available on every other TV. But it'll look stunningly gorgeous, with a beautiful, simple fluid UI. And the more I see it and read reviews, the more I'll fall in love with it, and end up buying it, and eventually boring my friends with stories about how great it is.

Every time, Apple... you get me every time.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
Apple TV set.

Sheese!

I believe that, due to the stiff competition in the market, it will be as successful as the VW Phaeton.

Oh sure, there will be adopters who are very happy with the features and happy to pay the price; though the general public will not buy the product as there are multiple other options currently in the market at a lower price point, similar resolution and much easier to configure.

Eventually there will be a press conference where a Apple Television set is gifted to the Pope - followed by early retirement of the Apple executive (Mr. X) who was the head of the Apple Television project.

Apple stock will rise upon news of the cancellation of the Apple Television project and the retirement of Mr. X.

All will be well throughout the Universe.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I still think an Apple branded TV is a horrible idea. I'd rather they focus on the next generation ATV that I can hook to whatever TV I choose. Not to mention being able to afford putting 2-3 ATV's throughout my house vs buying 2-3 Apple TV's at $1500-$2500 a pop.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What's wrong with Bravia ? I love my NX720 ... Looks nice with the monolithic gorilla glass. I think Apples TV will looks similar

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Apple TV set.

Sheese!

I believe that, due to the stiff competition in the market, it will be as successful as the VW Phaeton.

Oh sure, there will be adopters who are very happy with the features and happy to pay the price; though the general public will not buy the product as there are multiple other options currently in the market at a lower price point, similar resolution and much easier to configure.

Eventually there will be a press conference where a Apple Television set is gifted to the Pope - followed by early retirement of the Apple executive (Mr. X) who was the head of the Apple Television project.

Apple stock will rise upon news of the cancellation of the Apple Television project and the retirement of Mr. X.

All will be well throughout the Universe.

You sound like Steve Ballmer when the iPhone was launched :p

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Im sure there is a market for an overpriced TV with the same components/display has Sony or Samsung but I will not be one of them, I would prefer the ATV to just improve but stay at the $99 range

tradis

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Santa Ana, CA
I'm sure the Apple branded TV will look great and have nice features and while I'll be sorely tempted to buy it, I think the next gen ATV will be all I need.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
If the rumors of Apple buying Loewe are correct, an Apple-branded set will cost a fortune compared to Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. Loewe is an ultra-premium manufacturer.... sort of the Rolls Royce of TV's. They're to TV's what Natuzzi is to sofas ($12,000 sectional, anyone?)...

If there's any reason they'd do it, it would be to push the industry to standardize wifi/IP connectivity across all consumer electronics so that receivers, televisions, etc. all speak IP. But they're better off investing in a compelling next generation AppleTV offering with more access to more subscription based audio/video services, and piggybacking on lower-cost TV's to broaden its hardware/software ecosystem.

It's not necessary to get into the TV market in order to dominate the living room... as streaming services entrench people even further in mobile devices that can talk to all their home appliances.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Imo you are waiting for a ghost. Who ever said there was going to be an " Apple Branded TV " ? Lol.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
whatever Apple brings to the table for the living room, i'm in but mostly i'm interested in an Apple branded TV....i think Apple is taking a very long time on this....anyone here can't wait to get rid of their SONY bravia?

You know this thing is a unicorn perpetrated by Gene Munster, right? It does not exist, and until such time as it has its black cloth removed on a revealing stage by Tim Cook, ******* Gene Munster for making people think it's real!

----------

My.....Sony Bravia....(how did you know?).....is on its last legs and i'm trying to hold out for Apples offering. No sure how long I can keep the wife at bay though.

Apple isn't offering an HDTV. It's a mythical creature.

Nuff said...

----------

I still think an Apple branded TV is a horrible idea. I'd rather they focus on the next generation ATV that I can hook to whatever TV I choose. Not to mention being able to afford putting 2-3 ATV's throughout my house vs buying 2-3 Apple TV's at $1500-$2500 a pop.

Not only that, but even people at the top of the gaming scene like Gabe Newell, are scared ***less over the AppleTV as it exists NOW, man! They see Apple moving into the living room, and making a play for gaming there.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/39...m-boxs-biggest-threat-isnt-consoles-its-apple

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Good god, why? It's not like it's a PC vs Mac thing where you need the latter to officially run OSX and OSX programs and get the real Apple experience. You'll probably be able to use other-branded TVs (that look just as nice, perform just as good if not better and are a lot cheaper) along with a $100 Apple TV and have the same experience.

If at all possible, I always prefer displays to be separate from the intelligence.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
i'm fully aware all the stuff we know about a branded Apple TV are just rumors...hence that's why i'm discussing them in a Macrumors forum.

but Tim Cook confirmed they are targeting the living room...i'm interested in what they bring to the table but mostly i want an Apple branded TV,iTV,iPanel....whatever you wanna call it!

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
The only reason Apple would ever produce a TV is to eliminate the set top box.

why do you all think if Apple released a panel or a display or an iTV or whatever you wanna call it, it will eliminate the current box? (e.g.Mac Mini and iMac)

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Why would you want/be waiting for an apple branded tv? I could see wanting the set top box for ala carte programming. But, if apple ever did make a tv they would probably just use a re-branded lcd panel, and it would be overpriced. Panasonic makes the best tvs right now at an affordable price. You can get a 60" for $700. If you really want to splurge and get 3D, internet apps, a great anti-reflective filter, larger size, and more calibration options, a 65" still only costs $1500. Give me a Panasonic plasma any day of the week, unless this "mystical" apple tv has an OLED panel!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I'm enjoying my Panasonic GT50 Plasmas.. best plasmas ever!

For me to buy one.. they would have to exceed my plasmas video quality

Why would you want/be waiting for an apple branded tv? I could see wanting the set top box for ala carte programming. But, if apple ever did make a tv they would probably just use a re-branded lcd panel, and it would be overpriced. Panasonic makes the best tvs right now at an affordable price. You can get a 60" for $700. If you really want to splurge and get 3D, internet apps, a great anti-reflective filter, larger size, and more calibration options, a 65" still only costs $1500. Give me a Panasonic plasma any day of the week, unless this "mystical" apple tv has an OLED panel!

My thoughts exactly. I love my Panasonic VT50, I don't see myself getting any LCD over a Plasma, and I don't see Apple ever making an iTV with a Plasma panel in it.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
My thoughts exactly. I love my Panasonic VT50, I don't see myself getting any LCD over a Plasma, and I don't see Apple ever making an iTV with a Plasma panel in it.

I'm trying to unload one of my GT50's to a family member so I can get a VT50 for my living room.. The picture is so amazing.. Easily one of the top 5 television on the planet!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I'm trying to unload one of my GT50's to a family member so I can get a VT50 for my living room.. The picture is so amazing.. Easily one of the top 5 television on the planet!

Yeah, I love it. But the GT is pretty darn close. Not interested in waiting to see the ZT:D? The price of the VT right now makes it hard to pass up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.