Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:37 PM   #26
craftytony
macrumors regular

Let the Fandroid excuses begin

This report doesn't surprise me a bit. When you have a company focused on building one great phone as opposed to multiple phones you just have to expect a superior product.
craftytony is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:42 PM   #27
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I'd get a 9/10 for my 3Gs, still going strong after 2 years. I did have a battery issue but a re-install seems to have fixed that and it's only a problem if I play Angry Birds too much. For my normal day to day use I charge it every 2nd day, if I've made a few more calls I'll charge it up more often.

For me the next iPhone needs to have better battery life, even if it's a little thicker than the iPhone5.

I have had a few crashes but they seem to be related to the App I was using at the time. And even then I'd say less than 10 crashes in the last 2 years, IMO that's pretty good numbers considering I rarely restart it and never turn it off.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:47 PM   #28
BC2009
macrumors 68000

On the subject of battery life, Anandtech had this to say when comparing to the Galaxy Note 2:

I'm guessing the competitors had so many other things that sucked that nobody got around to complaining about battery life because they simply did not like using their phones very much during the day.
BC2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:03 PM   #29
pandamonia
Banned

ARE YOU JOKING?

I had no less than 6 iphone 4's and 3 iphone 4S's then i went android
pandamonia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonia View Post
ARE YOU JOKING?

You're obviously not the norm.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:15 PM   #31
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Now if only Samsung could copy Apple's reliability ...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:15 PM   #32
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
ARE YOU JOKING?

Did you bring your magnifying glass with you to the Apple store or did you inspect it for the most inconsequential, tiniest "defects" when you got home?
HarryKeogh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:25 PM   #33
pandamonia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Did you bring your magnifying glass with you to the Apple store or did you inspect it for the most inconsequential, tiniest "defects" when you got home?
Not being able to answer calls is a pretty big issue you with a phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
On the subject of battery life, Anandtech had this to say when comparing to the Galaxy Note 2:

I'm guessing the competitors had so many other things that sucked that nobody got around to complaining about battery life because they simply did not like using their phones very much during the day.
4 inch screen uses way less power than a 5.5 or 5 inch one. Screen time is the biggest killer of battery in every phone.
pandamonia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:31 PM   #34
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Why would an iphone user go to fixya?

Wouldn't they just take it to an apple store?
pacalis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:34 PM   #35
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Shame their report doesn't explain discuss their methodology, always weakens the value of a report. I don't know where they get this problem impressions measure from - is it from things posted on the Fixya forums? Because surely most iPhone users just post on the Apple support communities? Whereas Samsung doesn't have these official support forums, so it's users are more likely to post on sites like Fixya. Please guys, explain your data!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:38 PM   #36
dsass600
macrumors newbie

The iPhone doesn't have problems because there's nothing it can do...
dsass600 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:46 PM   #37
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Oh...

...and this is a surprise? Samdung and Motorboat have always been a POS.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:57 PM   #38
StealthGhost
macrumors regular

Quote:

Maybe this?

or this?
StealthGhost is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:00 PM   #39
Rockondevil
macrumors member

Seems understandable from where I am sitting with my iPhone 5.

Although as battery life is the biggest issue (and I tend to agree, even if the iPhone is better than most others), I would be all for the iPhone 6 to be a little thicker (2 - 3 mm) and have a bigger battery in it (would add a little extra weight to).
I just think battery life on these smart phones is really lacking for how much they can do and how much they get used. Mine struggles to last me my working day and I usually end up forcing myself not to use it for a few hours to save life, put it on silent and close certain battery draining apps (skype etc.).

In the end though, I'm happy and I hope Apple continues to dominate in terms of build quality (please no cheaper iPhone, just drop the prices of the previous versions more).
Rockondevil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:05 PM   #40
StealthGhost
macrumors regular

I'm sure iPhones are the most reliable, probably not by that much in reality because of user base and ease of use but still, surely the most reliable

Now if they weren't so scratch/ding prone and more importantly, didn't use an incredibly stale and dumbed down OS, I would love to own one.
StealthGhost is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:05 PM   #41
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I never had any battery or WiFi problems until I got an iPhone 5. Sold it and now rocking the Note II.
But 1080p got the Note II because of poor battery life on the iPhone 5 and the chart shows even worse battery life on the Note II. I'm confused...
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:10 PM   #42
Imory
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevion5 View Post
Can't connect wifi? With an apple device? Broadcom hardware is hands down the most reliable stuff I've ever used. My mac and iPhone outperform all my other devices for ease of connection and even range. All these monsters with big visible antennas and my MacBook Pro gets a better range than almost all of them.

If you need need connecting wifi, I think you need help with a lot of things.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. But the fact is though that a lof of people with an iPhone 5 suffer from various Wifi issues. Most of it is probably related to software issues which Apple still haven't managed to fix. Perhaps they find it to expensive to make until they release iOS 7.
Imory is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:17 PM   #43
pandamonia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
But 1080p got the Note II because of poor battery life on the iPhone 5 and the chart shows even worse battery life on the Note II. I'm confused...
removable battery trumps everything end of story
pandamonia is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:26 PM   #44
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
removable battery trumps everything end of story
Yeah I want to buy an extra battery to remember to charge and lug around everyday. NOT!
genovelle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:29 PM   #45
macjunk(ie)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post
wifi wifi

wherefore art thou WIFI?
iphone Denies thy router and refuses its name;
AND if thou wilt not work again, be but sworn by me
And i will throw it against a train...

ok thats a poor Shakespeare - but seriously each update on my 5 does not fix the crappy wifi connections - I even had to downgrade one access point to WEP just so i can get a better signal 2 rooms away on the same floor.
Change your router....that has helped me with all my wifi issues in the past...Of course...I changed to an Apple router
macjunk(ie) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:29 PM   #46
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
Yeah I want to buy an extra battery to remember to charge and lug around everyday. NOT!
Agreed, why do people keep blabbin' about removable batteries?
lucasfer899 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:32 PM   #47
cycomiko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
lug
/ləg/
Verb
Carry or drag (a heavy or bulky object) with great effort: "she began to lug her suitcase down the stairs".

Man, that must be a big battery

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
Agreed, why do people keep blabbin' about removable batteries?
It ould be handy on occasions, especially since iOS6 i had to get a external for my iphone4s, so i can make it through the day.
cycomiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:33 PM   #48
Drag'nGT
macrumors 68000

I get why everyone complains about the battery life. We seem to be on the things ALL the time. But wifi issues... I get if one phone acts up and doesn't connect but you can't say it's the phones fault that you just simply can't find or connect to wifi. I think a lot of that is user error.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:38 PM   #49
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I don't know if carrier makes a huge difference, but I have seen iPhone 5 on AT&T have issues with the LTE network hiccuping in my area. My brother's kept reconnecting to LTE and draining the battery. AT&T actually gave him a new iPhone 5 because they said it might have been a faulty antenna or SIM card. Since then he has not complained about battery life. We will never know what the problem was: his antenna or SIM card or something they reset on the network.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGhost View Post

Maybe this?

or this?
I guess "talk time" does not look as good for iPhone 5 unless you are talking on LTE network. I can't say that I talk on my phone more than I search the web or send messages. My wife and I share 750 minutes per month and we build up tons of roll-over minutes each month.

But if you are a talking on your phone a ton, then I can see the need for the "Juice Pack".
BC2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:40 PM   #50
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
As for Apple's competitors, FixYa users had complaints about Samsung's microphone and speaker issues, Motorola's touchscreen, and Nokia's load response times.
Looks like they didn't normalize for operating systems too, otherwise they never should have gotten that for any Nokia phone in the US.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion