Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Let the Fandroid excuses begin :)

This report doesn't surprise me a bit. When you have a company focused on building one great phone as opposed to multiple phones you just have to expect a superior product.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'd get a 9/10 for my 3Gs, still going strong after 2 years. I did have a battery issue but a re-install seems to have fixed that and it's only a problem if I play Angry Birds too much. For my normal day to day use I charge it every 2nd day, if I've made a few more calls I'll charge it up more often.

For me the next iPhone needs to have better battery life, even if it's a little thicker than the iPhone5.

I have had a few crashes but they seem to be related to the App I was using at the time. And even then I'd say less than 10 crashes in the last 2 years, IMO that's pretty good numbers considering I rarely restart it and never turn it off.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
On the subject of battery life, Anandtech had this to say when comparing to the Galaxy Note 2:

51000.png

50999.png

I'm guessing the competitors had so many other things that sucked that nobody got around to complaining about battery life because they simply did not like using their phones very much during the day.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
ARE YOU JOKING?

I had no less than 6 iphone 4's and 3 iphone 4S's then i went android

Did you bring your magnifying glass with you to the Apple store or did you inspect it for the most inconsequential, tiniest "defects" when you got home?

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Did you bring your magnifying glass with you to the Apple store or did you inspect it for the most inconsequential, tiniest "defects" when you got home?

Not being able to answer calls is a pretty big issue you with a phone.

----------

On the subject of battery life, Anandtech had this to say when comparing to the Galaxy Note 2:

I'm guessing the competitors had so many other things that sucked that nobody got around to complaining about battery life because they simply did not like using their phones very much during the day.

4 inch screen uses way less power than a 5.5 or 5 inch one. Screen time is the biggest killer of battery in every phone.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Why would an iphone user go to fixya?

Wouldn't they just take it to an apple store?

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Shame their report doesn't explain discuss their methodology, always weakens the value of a report. I don't know where they get this problem impressions measure from - is it from things posted on the Fixya forums? Because surely most iPhone users just post on the Apple support communities? Whereas Samsung doesn't have these official support forums, so it's users are more likely to post on sites like Fixya. Please guys, explain your data!

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010

50186.png

Maybe this?

50475.png

or this?

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Seems understandable from where I am sitting with my iPhone 5.

Although as battery life is the biggest issue (and I tend to agree, even if the iPhone is better than most others), I would be all for the iPhone 6 to be a little thicker (2 - 3 mm) and have a bigger battery in it (would add a little extra weight to).
I just think battery life on these smart phones is really lacking for how much they can do and how much they get used. Mine struggles to last me my working day and I usually end up forcing myself not to use it for a few hours to save life, put it on silent and close certain battery draining apps (skype etc.).

In the end though, I'm happy and I hope Apple continues to dominate in terms of build quality (please no cheaper iPhone, just drop the prices of the previous versions more).

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
I'm sure iPhones are the most reliable, probably not by that much in reality because of user base and ease of use but still, surely the most reliable

Now if they weren't so scratch/ding prone and more importantly, didn't use an incredibly stale and dumbed down OS, I would love to own one.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I never had any battery or WiFi problems until I got an iPhone 5. Sold it and now rocking the Note II.

But 1080p got the Note II because of poor battery life on the iPhone 5 and the chart shows even worse battery life on the Note II. I'm confused...

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Can't connect wifi? With an apple device? Broadcom hardware is hands down the most reliable stuff I've ever used. My mac and iPhone outperform all my other devices for ease of connection and even range. All these monsters with big visible antennas and my MacBook Pro gets a better range than almost all of them.

If you need need connecting wifi, I think you need help with a lot of things.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. But the fact is though that a lof of people with an iPhone 5 suffer from various Wifi issues. Most of it is probably related to software issues which Apple still haven't managed to fix. Perhaps they find it to expensive to make until they release iOS 7.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
wifi wifi

wherefore art thou WIFI?
iphone Denies thy router and refuses its name;
AND if thou wilt not work again, be but sworn by me
And i will throw it against a train...

ok thats a poor Shakespeare - but seriously each update on my 5 does not fix the crappy wifi connections - I even had to downgrade one access point to WEP just so i can get a better signal 2 rooms away on the same floor.
Change your router....that has helped me with all my wifi issues in the past...Of course...I changed to an Apple router

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah I want to buy an extra battery to remember to charge and lug around everyday. NOT!

lug
/ləg/
Verb
Carry or drag (a heavy or bulky object) with great effort: "she began to lug her suitcase down the stairs".

Man, that must be a big battery

----------

Agreed, why do people keep blabbin' about removable batteries? :confused:

It ould be handy on occasions, especially since iOS6 i had to get a external for my iphone4s, so i can make it through the day.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I get why everyone complains about the battery life. We seem to be on the things ALL the time. But wifi issues... I get if one phone acts up and doesn't connect but you can't say it's the phones fault that you just simply can't find or connect to wifi. I think a lot of that is user error.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
But 1080p got the Note II because of poor battery life on the iPhone 5 and the chart shows even worse battery life on the Note II. I'm confused...

I don't know if carrier makes a huge difference, but I have seen iPhone 5 on AT&T have issues with the LTE network hiccuping in my area. My brother's kept reconnecting to LTE and draining the battery. AT&T actually gave him a new iPhone 5 because they said it might have been a faulty antenna or SIM card. Since then he has not complained about battery life. We will never know what the problem was: his antenna or SIM card or something they reset on the network.

----------

Maybe this?

or this?

I guess "talk time" does not look as good for iPhone 5 unless you are talking on LTE network. I can't say that I talk on my phone more than I search the web or send messages. My wife and I share 750 minutes per month and we build up tons of roll-over minutes each month.

But if you are a talking on your phone a ton, then I can see the need for the "Juice Pack".

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
As for Apple's competitors, FixYa users had complaints about Samsung's microphone and speaker issues, Motorola's touchscreen, and Nokia's load response times.

Looks like they didn't normalize for operating systems too, otherwise they never should have gotten that for any Nokia phone in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.