Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
With regards to weight, when the 'rumored iPad 5' is equipped with the same materials the iPad mini is currently having right now, will it significantly reduce its weight?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have one sitting right here unopened but I'm concerned I won't like the display. I'm used to the 720p Nexus 4, 5th gen touch and other higher res displays and am afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm also wishing it had 1gb of RAM.

Opening it isn't an option and then returning it if you don't like it?

Like the previous post, I don't feel the RAM is really a concern honesty at least not for what I have done with the Mini. Trust me it was a concern beforehand but I think there have been threads about it whereby most owners aren't worried.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Opening it isn't an option and then returning it if you don't like it?

Like the previous post, I don't feel the RAM is really a concern honesty at least not for what I have done with the Mini. Trust me it was a concern beforehand but I think there have been threads about it whereby most owners aren't worried.
Not where I bought it from.

I'm concerned about the RAM because I spend a lot of time in my web browsers throughout the day and keep a lot of tabs open on both my computers and mobile devices. My Nexus 4 with 2gb of RAM handles my usage habits just fine meanwhile my 5th gen touch released 5 months ago can't with it's 512mb of RAM. I can imagine this problem only getting worse as time goes on. Crashing is also a problem on the iPod and checking the logs shows me lots of low memory entries.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I will be the biggest iPad mini lover when Apple gives it a retina display. Until then, I will be very happy with my iPad 4. ;)

That's why I don't have one yet. Once this happens I'll buy the mini retina version and give my iPad 3 to a family member.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You may want to have your vision checked.

Well I already tried those websites in portrait mode on the nook hd which has better resolution than the Nexus 7. The problem is 7 inchers crunch the font badly. The Mini's extra real estate matter of fact helps. I admit my vision isn't the best but the Nexus 7 is no world beater when it comes to browsing in portrait mode.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
My vision is fine, and while the resolution of the Nexus 7 screen is higher, I agree that the 16:9 aspect ration is terrible for browsing. I found this to be the case in either screen orientation as there just isn't enough room for most non-mobile sites to be viewed properly in 16:9.

My biggest problem with the Nexus 7 though was the lack of tablet-optimized apps on Android. 90% of the apps in the Play Store are just upscaled phone apps and the touch targets are as tiny as they would be on a phone.

For instance, I routinely played Monopoly on my iPad 2 and 3 with a friend. I tried the Nexus 7 for a while, and the version for Android tablets was like playing it on my iPhone. Almost impossibly hard to hit the buttons most of the time. I know that's just my own personal use case, but I could list at least a dozen other scenarios where this was a huge annoyance.

Long story short, the extra screen resolution on the Nexus 7 is absolutely meaningless unless the apps that run on it are optimized for that resolution...and they aren't.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
With regards to weight, when the 'rumored iPad 5' is equipped with the same materials the iPad mini is currently having right now, will it significantly reduce its weight?

its supposed to be the same weight as the iPad Mini, im upgrading just for that sole reason, it'll make my backpack a lot lighter, especailly when i get the rMBP as well

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
its supposed to be the same weight as the iPad Mini, im upgrading just for that sole reason, it'll make my backpack a lot lighter, especailly when i get the rMBP as well

No way it will be mini weight. It'll fall right in between the current weight and the mini weight

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009

You think they're gonna be able to take away more than HALF the weight? I mean, it's good to be optimistic, but come on man..

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011

Based on current weights maybe between 10%-20%.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

No way that could happen, the battery alone is heavier. It'll be better, but they can't just make things bigger without adding some heft.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I got the iPad 3 on the launch day, and I've been happy with it ever since. When the iPad mini was announced I thought it was a pretty stupid idea, I was also surprised that apple created an iOS device of a new screen size (now they have a 3.5", 4", 8" and 9.7" device). When I first picked it up, the low resolution really stuck out to me. But once I actually used it, the display became less of an issue, and the light weight really stuck out to me. I really wish they added a Retina display to it, but when you're playing a game or watching a movie with it you can't really tell.

That being said, even if I had one, I'd still prefer to use my full size iPad 3 to do most things (type up school documents, play games, watch videos). But the Mini could be a great device for social networkers and people using it for reference.

In short, both are great. A Retina would make the mini super great.

----------

The same weight as the mini? We can only dream....

Since the full size iPad is larger, if it had the same weight as the mini it would feel even lighter - like picking up a piece of paper. But with the Retina display panel and the battery needed to power it, its unlikely. That would be sweet though.

On a similar note, an iPad mini with Retina display would weigh more than the current mini - it would need a larger battery and would have to hold the Retina panel. There's a slight weight difference between the 2 and the 3/4 - the 2 is technically the thinnest and lightest full sized iPad to date. Not by much at all, but it still is.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
That's a very appropriate position to take. My mini is ideal in all areas but one of the most important, the display.

When I first got it I knew it would be a compromise, thinking I could live with it I am. But instead of adjusting to it and mindfully overlooking its grainy fonts when smaller print appears on a web site, it's becoming increasingly annoying.

This is one time I'm wishing for a short product cycle so I can dump this and buy the higher resolution version.

You'll notice I didn't say retina. That's because my Nexus 7 proves it doesn't have to be as hi-res as retina to be outstanding.

I think my threshold for a new purchase is 200 ppi. The nexus is 216 and ipad 4 is 264. I'm waiting for the mini retina. That said, I'm still using a pantech element that I love. 163 ppi.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
As much as I love retina, and I even got a rMBP 15", the iPad Mini is a great travel companion for short trips and business. That said, the iPad 3 still gets usage by the bed.

If the iPad drops some weight, I might make the change, but if the Mini gets it, it will be all the more tempting. Just wondering how much weight retina will require.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
thanks ya douche bags, hahah just playing.

i dont know thats what i read in one of the news/rumors articles

sorry i guess this is considering "trolling" around here. although i stated i was just "playing" (joking) and went back on topic with of the original thread.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I have one sitting right here unopened but I'm concerned I won't like the display. I'm used to the 720p Nexus 4, 5th gen touch and other higher res displays and am afraid I'll be disappointed. I'm also wishing it had 1gb of RAM.

You do know that iPad mini is 1024x768. It's actually higher resolution than the Nexus 7 which has a resolution of 1024x720. It's negligibly higher but definitely not lower resolution than a Nexus 7.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
You do know that iPad mini is 1024x768. It's actually higher resolution than the Nexus 7 which has a resolution of 1024x720. It's negligibly higher but definitely not lower resolution than a Nexus 7.

Nope. The nexus 7 is 1280x800 and can display 720p. The ipad mini is as you said is 1024x768. The max resolution it can display is 1024x600, 600p.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Nope. The nexus 7 is 1280x800 and can display 720p. The ipad mini is as you said is 1024x768. The max resolution it can display is 1024x600, 600p.

Well I'm wrong.

But so are you. I don't think you understand what the "p" stands for. It stands for vertical pixel count. Nexus 7 can do 800p because it has 800 pixels vertically. iPad mini does 768p for the same reason. HD video content mostly is either 720p or 1080p. So neither the Nexus or iPad can do full HD (1080 pixels vertically) but both can display 720p.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Well I'm wrong.
But so are you. I don't think you understand what the "p" stands for. It stands for vertical pixel count. Nexus 7 can do 800p because it has 800 pixels vertically. iPad mini does 768p for the same reason. HD video content mostly is either 720p or 1080p. So neither the Nexus or iPad can do full HD (1080 pixels vertically) but both can display 720p.
The p stands for progressive scanning, meaning the entire frame is drawn in one go, as opposed to interlace (i) where only every other line is drawn.

"720p/i" means a horisontal resolution of 1280 and a vertical resolution of up to 720 depending on the aspect ratio. The iPad mini can't display this.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Well I'm wrong.

We're talking about movies here, which are widescreen. Therefore you have to use a widescreen resolution. The nexus 7 can display 1280x720, hence 720p. The ipad mini can only do 1024x600, hence 600p.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Well I'm wrong.

p doesnt stand for vertical pixels. it stands for progressive scanning.

720p is used as a short form of 1280x720, with progressive scanning.

the mini doesnt have the pixels to run 1280 wide. it can only go 1024 wide. hence, it cannot support 720p.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The p stands for progressive scanning, meaning the entire frame is drawn in one go, as opposed to interlace (i) where only every other line is drawn.

"720p/i" means a horisontal resolution of 1280 and a vertical resolution of up to 720 depending on the aspect ratio. The iPad mini can't display this.

We're talking about movies here, which are widescreen. Therefore you have to use a widescreen resolution. The nexus 7 can display 1280x720, hence 720p. The ipad mini can only do 1024x600, hence 600p.

p doesnt stand for vertical pixels. it stands for progressive scanning.

720p is used as a short form of 1280x720, with progressive scanning.

the mini doesnt have the pixels to run 1280 wide. it can only go 1024 wide. hence, it cannot support 720p.

Unclear explanations with terrible logic flaws but with a little bit of Googling, I get your intended point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.