Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyblastoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
High Desert Lab
(Please resist the urge to go OT and tell me I need to get an iPhone :). I'm saving my pennies, but for the time being I am stuck with a hand-me-down HTC DInc2.) I cannot find any truly seamless way to get my iCal calendar to sync with any Android Calendar application. I'm currently using Google Calendar as a link between iCal and the phone, but this bandaid™ has many downsides. The most glaring is the flabbergasting inability of Google Calendar to handle the reminders I've set up for my iCal events. This means that even if an Android calendar app supports multiple reminders, they never make it to my phone. The ubiquity of Android phones suggests to me that someone else must have faced this same issue. Help?

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
(Please resist the urge to go OT and tell me I need to get an iPhone :). I'm saving my pennies, but for the time being I am stuck with a hand-me-down HTC DInc2.) I cannot find any truly seamless way to get my iCal calendar to sync with any Android Calendar application. I'm currently using Google Calendar as a link between iCal and the phone, but this bandaid™ has many downsides. The most glaring is the flabbergasting inability of Google Calendar to handle the reminders I've set up for my iCal events. This means that even if an Android calendar app supports multiple reminders, they never make it to my phone. The ubiquity of Android phones suggests to me that someone else must have faced this same issue. Help?

I'd suggest moving everything to your Google account and onto Google Calendar. You can then sync everything back into iCal using this account, including multiple reminders.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'd suggest moving everything to your Google account and onto Google Calendar. You can then sync everything back into iCal using this account, including multiple reminders.

This will be the best solution. That is what I did just so I would not be stuck in a closed environment only good with apple products.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK

You need this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.icloud

billyblastoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
High Desert Lab

*Sigh* Thanks for the advice, Retep and matto. That seems like the most practical solution for the time being, and the open platform is a great point. But dang! I use Macs because I like the UI. That doesn't seem to be a big priority for Google. Their calendar is ugly, poorly designed and harder to use.

Perhaps I should create a new thread for this, but what do folks here think is the most iCal-like calendar for Android?

Last edited:

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
*Sigh* Thanks for the advice, Retep and matto. That seems like the most practical solution for the time being, and the open platform is a great point. But dang! I use Macs because I like the UI. That doesn't seem to be a big priority for Google. Their calendar is ugly, poorly designed and harder to use.

Perhaps I should create a new thread for this, but what do folks here think is the most iCal-like calendar for Android?

The Droid Incredible 2 uses HTC's calendar rather than Google's. I haven't used a HTC device in years though, so couldn't tell you how to switch to the default app.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Unfortunately 10.6.8 is the latest OS my Mac Pro will run :mad: so no iCloud for me. May I ask what Android Calendar app you are using?

I use aCalendar+. I think it's excellent.

To try and deal with your issue, moving over to Google Calendar would be the best solution.

I'm assuming you followed this article to set up your calendar:

http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99355&topic=13949&ctx=topic

My understanding from a little bit of looking around is that alarms/reminders should work.

You could also try this article to get an iCloud calendar on 10.6:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20111014102515403&msg=15

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Just to be clear, you do know that you can use Google's calendar with the calendar app on the mac, yes?

That I what I do on my mac.

On my Note 2 (and Nexus 4 prior) I use aCalendar.

Michael

billyblastoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
High Desert Lab
Just to be clear, you do know that you can use Google's calendar with the calendar app on the mac, yes?

That I what I do on my mac.

On my Note 2 (and Nexus 4 prior) I use aCalendar.
Michael

Yes, that's what I've been using, but my iCal reminders don't make it into the Google calendar. That's why (per my original post) I am looking for a non-Google alternative. Right now I am looking into serving my iCal on my LAN so my Android phone can get it via CalDAV. I'm currently using Touch Calendar on Android. It's very similar to CalGoo but I think it looks a bit better. There's nothing that looks like iCal AFAIK.

----------

The Droid Incredible 2 uses HTC's calendar rather than Google's. I haven't used a HTC device in years though, so couldn't tell you how to switch to the default app.

Actually both are installed as System apps, but I don't like either of them. The main thing I want is a comprehensive month view that lists abbreviations of the events for each day (as iCal does).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.