Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. But the fact is though that a lof of people with an iPhone 5 suffer from various Wifi issues. Most of it is probably related to software issues which Apple still haven't managed to fix. Perhaps they find it to expensive to make until they release iOS 7.

I was implying that people having Wifi issues might not be the brightest of folks going, thus questioning the validity of the info overall. I only have the 4S so I was unaware of any issues with it's wifi. If it does have wifi issues, it would be the first Apple product I've used with them. :)

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
You carry a spare battery ?

i never run out of battery because when i do i put another in and im back to 100%

If i come home and im running low im 30 seconds away from full charge.

If i know im going to be away i take it with me and it never has to be on charge,

iPhone users dont understand how liberating it is to never have to have your phone stuck on a stupid charger EVER

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
i never run out of battery because when i do i put another in and im back to 100%

If i come home and im running low im 30 seconds away from full charge.

If i know im going to be away i take it with me and it never has to be on charge,

iPhone users dont understand how liberating it is to never have to have your phone stuck on a stupid charger EVER

True. The spare battery for my Note II is so small & light, it disappears into any pocket in my MBP case. I've always carried a spare way back to the BlackBerry days & never had to limit my usage.

My Mophie Juice Pack Helium finally arrived for my iPhone 5. Now at least that removes the modest battery life problem. Since Apple likes captive batteries, being obsessed with a thin profile kills any chance of outstanding battery.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Samsung was second? No way do I believe that, Nokia would be second in reliability in my opinion. Ive gone through several Samsung phones all with problems by the time I moved on. If anything Samsung is the worst.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Ya hearing this APPLE ?? add 3mm and a few grams to the thickness and weight of the next phone and double the damn battery life.

break that anorexic cycle

No joke. Who was asking for the phone to be thinner other than marketing? Thinness of the phone is not my top priority. Battery life and usability are way up there, and the thinness has hurt battery life and hurt usability. It's poorly weighted and hard to grip, so I had to add a rubberized case which thickens and gripperizes the phone. I would much prefer a slightly thicker phone with better battery life and better balance.

Yet rumors are the next one will have a bigger screen and be thinner again...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I don't see the issue with the iPhone batteries. I own a iPhone 1. And it's battery is good. I still get 1-2 days charge out of it depending on use. And that's great. And it's a 2nd hand phone that has had a lot of use and still the original battery.

So yeah I don't see the issue. Ad my iPhone battery would be in worse shape then a iPhone 5 battery cause it's been used more.

icomment

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
And Apple copying Samsungs innovation then we have a winner! :D

The day Samsung comes up with their own original design and product category and their own best-selling OS is the day we can talk about their innovations. ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
iphones

We needed a study to prove what we already knew ?

But good to see this alway. At least battery life is the best than any other phone.

No one likes Motorola :).

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Dunno how those studies of battery life really work, coz I have a Note II and it creams my past phones.

I had an iPhone 4S, and on average it would just get thru the day. Good.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and says the iPhone 4S had better battery life.

I followed it with a HTC One XL and it would normally need a recharge around or 6 or 7pm. Abysmal! I lasted a month with it. Couldn't cope with that and its lagginess (which I reckon was coz of lower memory - 1GB compared to Note II's 2GB)

So I ditched it and got a Note II. Altho I put in on charge each night, it's still got a good 30% or more on it. When I haven't charged it, I can go a day and a half before it goes flat. Awesome!

(The irony is the Note II has a removable battery butt doesn't need it; whereas the HTC didn't but definitely needs it.)

However, I'm getting rid of it too because I just don't enjoy the whole Android OS experience. It's nothing tangible, just lacks something. Even knowing I;m going to worse battery life, Android OS just niggles me that much.

It does have some features I'll miss.Widgets for one and the size - which I can operate one handed just fine despite what Apple wants you to think - in fact, I find the iPhone too small as my thumb overreaches, so I have to use a lighter, looser grip, or hold it with one hand and type with the other. And I have average sized hands.

I can understand folks being happy with either Android or iOS devices. But I still dont' understand how they they got the iPhone 5 battery to outperform the Note II!

Last edited:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
True. The spare battery for my Note II is so small & light, it disappears into any pocket in my MBP case. I've always carried a spare way back to the BlackBerry days & never had to limit my usage.

My Mophie Juice Pack Helium finally arrived for my iPhone 5. Now at least that removes the modest battery life problem. Since Apple likes captive batteries, being obsessed with a thin profile kills any chance of outstanding battery.
Kind of strange that outlasting all the competitors in battery life tests isn't considered outstanding.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Lol what a joke of a report. I guess they ignored maps and the current 3g issue.

or maybe those issues are not actually that high on the list of problems for the majority of users?

I think apples maps app wasn't ready, but I simply use google maps until such time as the apple app seems better suited. not something I would state as a major issue as I can choose alternatives.

I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the 3g issue so can't really say apart from what I said above about it maybe not showing that high in users reported issues.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I do whenever I take the GS3... The convinience of not looking for an outlet and the feeling of security with an extra fully charged battery, is something to be experienced :)

oh boy,, I can't wait till i get my note 2 next week...... I charge my iphone 4s at least twice a week, and always swear, "literally", when i need the charger.

Then again... "the mophie juice pack" could be good here, but another battery being carried round (in the case of Android phones) would be easier.

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
personally I find that the USB type emergency rechargers are better than having a dedicated spare battery. They can be used on any device (great if you have more than one for instance like me when i was working with sep phone for business).

Also when you upgrade phones the chargey device still works (no need to buy new battery) :)

just my five pence on the whole non-user replaceable battery thing.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Ya hearing this APPLE ?? add 3mm and a few grams to the thickness and weight of the next phone and double the damn battery life.

break that anorexic cycle

----------

Until the battery runs flat around midday, then it just sits there

What do you do with your iPhone? I get 2 days of use on a full charge. make 20hrs of calls a month, 4 exchange push accounts, iCloud push and app use.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Stop trying to speak for other people. I played the multiple battery game for years. Not just in phones, but cameras, music players, etc. And I hate it. Chargers are cheap, and these phones charge from 4% to 100% in less than 2 hours.

I guess if your life consists of running around constantly using a phone without the presence of a desk or car, then enjoy your swappable batteries. I would say YOU are the minority, however much you like to claim the opposite.

----------

oh boy,, I can't wait till i get my note 2 next week...... I charge my iphone 4s at least twice a week, and always swear, "literally", when i need the charger.
Twice per.......week?!

I don't understand why you people even have smartphones. And then try to dictate your bizarre world to the rest of us. :rolleyes:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
In GermanyChris' reliability report his iPhone 4 has had no issues in the last 18 months. This is how it should be.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
What a ridiculous article.

Comparing a range of both low, mid and high end phones from manufacturers to Apples only high-end models.

It would be much better if they compared only the flagship models from each company, this tells you nothing other than the higher end phones are better than lower end phones.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Kind of strange that outlasting all the competitors in battery life tests isn't considered outstanding.

Not really. Those are just benchmarks. In real life day to day usage, there's not much difference between them. Apples OS issues impact & shorten run times. I know this first hand.

That's why I buy the various phones, use them and evaluate each for myself. Many people may not have the resources to buy six or eight phones in order to get first hand experience, therefore they must rely on feedback that's not always very accurate.

While I'm Pro-Apple, if they don't measure up, I don't hesitate to share that. I buy what's best for me rather than being married to Apple like some users are.

My network, and all computers are Apple centric, but when it comes to smartphones I use both iOS & Android platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.