Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Maestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Hi guys,

Lots of great info on this part of the forum.

I've just started ripping my DVDs and Blu-Rays and making a server out of our Mac Mini. I've done several seasons of several shows without issue, but something weird started happening: Handbrake is stopping an encode before the progress bar is done, and I get the Put Down the Cocktail message. The file size is way too big (several GB for a 44 minute episode of a SD DVD), and when I play the video parts of it are scrambled. This is happening with a couple of episodes in the first season of Stargate SG-1 if that matters.

I'm using the ATV 2 preset with no changes. Most episodes are coming out between 600 and 800 MB and they look great.

Any idea what's up and how to perhaps correct it? Google suggests some others might've encountered this but nothing concrete. Thanks!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Try ripping the movie with MakeMKV, then transcoding the mkv with Handbrake.

El Maestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks guys. I reinstalled Handbrake and the problem was still going on. I thought the issue was Ripit (I use Ripit to get a DVD image). So, to narrow it down I used Handbrake to rip AND encode. When I went to start the process I got a libdvdcss error (I didn't get that when I first started doing this a couple of weeks ago). I installed the libdvdcss package and encodes from Ripit images are working properly.

mic, my next step was to try MakeMKV because I was able to use it for Blu-Rays without issue.

So, I think libdvdcss was the issue, but I'm continuing to monitor it.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Hadd my preferences set for my HDD to sleep after 15 minutes, figuring that it would not go to sleep if Handbrake was running. Had a couple of movies I had ripped from DVD's that were missing about the last 10 minutes. WTF? I finally figured out that if my HDD went to sleep during a Handbrake session, when I woke it back up it would say it was done, but it actually was not. It would quit the Handbrake session when the HDD went to sleep. Had to reset my preferences it to not go to sleep when when I was ripping a DVD, problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.