Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
No, it's not as bad as the Lifeproof. The calls are clear and loud and everything seems to work. I've talked to a couple more people and they said I sounded fine.

I'll give it more time and see how it does. Maybe some others will let us know how they like the case. I'm just a tough customer. :p

will you be doing a video review?

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
No, it's not as bad as the Lifeproof. The calls are clear and loud and everything seems to work. I've talked to a couple more people and they said I sounded fine.

I'll give it more time and see how it does. Maybe some others will let us know how they like the case. I'm just a tough customer. :p

One of the best ways I have found to test these cases is record something, and watch the playback and listen to the quality. Try to record with you holding the case close to you and then farther away see if it sounds muffled or if it sounds clear. Let us know

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
One of the best ways I have found to test these cases is record something, and watch the playback and listen to the quality. Try to record with you holding the case close to you and then farther away see if it sounds muffled or if it sounds clear. Let us know

I've already tried this and everything sounds just fine. One thing that I like is the sound actually comes from bottom of the case and is not transferred through the back of the case like the Lifeproof or Obex.

The Armor also comes with the lanyard that is shown in the Otterbox assembly video.
For such a tough and robust case it sure has a rinky dink home bottom.

Last edited:

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
Do some people acctualy find the design of otterbox cases attractive or do you just get the case based on the superior protection?

Some prefer protecting the phone that contains the information on it. I'm one of those who value the operating system and the information on it more than the sleek design of the iPhone 5. Design is the last thing in my mind. It's all about protecting my phone while using it at work and when I go to the beach.

The design of the case itself is a whole different issue. The case needs to work properly. I tried the LifeProof and it sucked. The OBEX case has been great so far but I'm sending it back due to the flimsy mute switch cover and because I'm interested to see how the Otterbox Armor case and Incipio Atlas works for me. Not sure about the Catalyst+ from Griffin but ill give it a try anyway.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Hooterville:

Plz test and compare with LifeProof. Which one can hear music/sound few ft under water (without headphone adapter)? Specs: waterproof 6.6 ft/2M (30 minutes).

Thx!

Last edited:

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
For the few people that said their mic was not working well, I just read on OB Facebook that some other people had that problem and remedied it by putting the phone in bottom first. Don't know if that helps anyone or not but in the installation video it definitely says to put it in bottom first. Maybe that was the problem?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
So what is the verdict Christy. Out of the Fre, Obex, and Armor. Which one do you think is better?

The Armor is definitely the better of the three. It is also the largest and heaviest of the bunch.

No oil slicks and everything seems to work fine. Later tonight after using it a while I might have a different opinion.

I'm 100% confident that the iphone 5 will stay safe in this monster.

So far the worst thing is the dinky home button. :)

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
The Armor is definitely the better of the three. It is also the largest and heaviest of the bunch.

No oil slicks and everything seems to work fine. Later tonight after using it a while I might have a different opinion.

I'm 100% confident that the iphone 5 will stay safe in this monster.

So far the worst thing is the dinky home button. :)

Well I went ahead and bought it. Who could resist. I got the orange one. I am going to do the water test and try it out and let you know what I think after heavy use. I'm on my phone 90% of the day for work.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Well I went ahead and bought it. Who could resist. I got the orange one. I am going to do the water test and try it out and let you know what I think after heavy use. I'm on my phone 90% of the day for work.

Nice, let me know how it works for you. Can you put up a picture showing the orange one? I have not seen it yet. :)

jamsiz

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Went to att on lunch. Picked the green one up. Got to work and failed the water test. Back to att after work. Don't listen to employees there. Guy put my phone in before I left and said you don't really need to water test these like the lifeproofs.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I'm curious if that will fit with a glass screen protector. I already have one installed and don't really want to remove it so I can swap back to a less protective case during the week.

I use a more protective case on the weekends for "fun" but during the work week the Armor is a little overkill. Not having to remove the screen protector would make this thing perfect as it looks really easy to get on and off. It also helps that it looks functional unlike the useless Lifeproof case. I went through 4 defective ones before I gave up on them.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
I'm curious if that will fit with a glass screen protector. I already have one installed and don't really want to remove it so I can swap back to a less protective case during the week.

I use a more protective case on the weekends for "fun" but during the work week the Armor is a little overkill. Not having to remove the screen protector would make this thing perfect as it looks really easy to get on and off. It also helps that it looks functional unlike the useless Lifeproof case. I went through 4 defective ones before I gave up on them.

Just read another post that said no it doesn't work.

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
What do you think about the armor?

I think that I'm just trying to press it to hard. :)

I like it. Yes it is a little bulky, but I don't mind it. The sound quality is better then the Obex and WAY better then the Fre. The speaker when talking and recording is good. The screen has no oil marks and barley any finger marks. I also like the lanyard. All in all so far so good. I'll keep testing to see what I come up with.

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Thank for everyone's input so far. I'm definitely interested in the Otterbox now after the Lifeproof disappointments and the Atlas delays.

Can anyone provide more feedback on how well the screen 'works' with the screen protector? Is everyone seeing a bit of a gap or is it flush to the screen? I'm also intester in hearing if the case will fit with a glass screen protector. I'd imagine not, but if there is a gap between the screen and the case's built-in screen protector a glass screen protector might eliminate that while adding some protection.

Also, has anyone seen these in-stock at any stores other than AT&T so far?

Thanks!

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Thank for everyone's input so far. I'm definitely interested in the Otterbox now after the Lifeproof disappointments and the Atlas delays.

Can anyone provide more feedback on how well the screen 'works' with the screen protector? Is everyone seeing a bit of a gap or is it flush to the screen? I'm also intester in hearing if the case will fit with a glass screen protector. I'd imagine not, but if there is a gap between the screen and the case's built-in screen protector a glass screen protector might eliminate that while adding some protection.

Also, has anyone seen these in-stock at any stores other than AT&T so far?

Thanks!

It will not be in any other stores besides AT&T and Otterbox.com. It is an AT&T Exclusive.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Compared to the Defender so you can see the difference in size. One thing I could add is that the orange case is a lighter shade of grey than the green case. I was set to get the orange but preferred the darker grey of the green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 322

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
One more, for some reason can only up load one photo at a time. ,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.