Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple accessory manufacturer MiniSuit has already created a case for the upcoming fifth-generation iPad, based on data and specifications received from what the site claims is a reliable source. The site sent MacRumors photos of the case this evening.

Case manufacturers often obtain case specs ahead of product releases to get a jump on manufacturing. Creating a case based on measurements can be a gamble, but an early case release can be financially beneficial.

ipad5case.jpg
The iPad 5 case is slimmer than the fourth-generation iPad case, which supports rumors that the next iPad will share design similarities with the iPad mini, most notably featuring smaller side bezels.

The back of the case depicts an extra hole, which is for the microphone. The current fourth-generation iPad's microphone is located at the top of the device, but Apple has relocated the microphone to the back of the iPad 5, as noted in leaked photos of the rear shell of the device.

In addition to slimmer bezels and a smaller size, the iPad 5 is said to be significantly thinner than the iPad 4, featuring the chamfered edges of the iPad mini, which is apparent in the less angled design of the iPad 5 case. We recently posted a mockup of what the fifth-generation iPad might look like, based on the current rumors and the leaked rear shell.

An iPad 5 with a reduced size would likely necessitate a redesign of the interior of the tablet as well, incorporating smaller chip components and a thinner display panel.

Several different release dates for the fifth-generation iPad have been suggested, ranging from March to mid-year to October, with most rumors settling on a fall release. According to MiniSuit, Apple's iPad 5 will be released in June.

Additional photos:

case3-800x966.jpg
case2-800x487.jpg
case1-800x1011.jpg

Article Link: New iPad 5 Case Consistent with Rumored Mini-Style Redesign

Krud92

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
New headphones?

If they have the headphone jack on the back of the iPad, do you think there will be new headphones? Most headphone jacks are longer than the iPad is wide

Krud92

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
If they have the headphone jack on the back of the iPad, do you think there will be new headphones? Most headphone jacks are longer than the iPad is wide

I just realized that said microphone. Not headphone jack.

My bad haha

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Well switching to this setup, I do wonder how much weight they will shed?

Also will the screen allow me to play my Fruit Ninja games without glitching?

Meh, it has my money probably already... ...unless the mini goes retina and can keep the weight at a good limit.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I think I'll hold off pre-ordering one of these cases.

Nothing like building accessories based on rumors.

There's always a couple, and they are always off just a little.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
In addition to slimmer bezels and a smaller size, the iPad 5 is said to be significantly thinner than the iPad 4, featuring the chamfered edges of the iPad mini

Why does any of that matter to someebody who is going to put it into a case anyways?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The iPad 4 has a Lightning connector. That case must be for the iPad 3.

iPad 2, 3, and 4 can all fit mostly the same cases. Producing a case with a smaller cut out so that it only works with the iPad 4 doesn't make much business sense.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I'll probably have to upgrade my iPad 3 if the rumored dimensions are true. I'd love a thinner iPad with a smaller footprint.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Whats the point of the mic being on the back of the pad... Makes no sense..

When you're recording video of someone else you want to heard them :rolleyes:

Like replacing my iPhone I've waited so long for an iPad a few more months won't kill me, can't wait to see what they release in June.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.