Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjaminfoden

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
I have a question. Since I ordered my iMac on Feb 6 and was charged for the auto enroll Apple Care on the same date, does my 3 year protection start on Feb 6, or when I receive the iMac?

This usually wouldn't be much of a worry, but since we are waiting up to a month to get the iMac, it could shorten my coverage by a month.

It will start when your Mac is shipped, it basically extends the standard warranty to 3 years. So your Applecare will end 3 years from the day it is shipped from Apple's manufacturing facility.

----------

Ordered my 27 iMac on the 7th Feb online via Apple UK - Delivery between 14th - 27th March

Destination London, England

•2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
•1TB Fusion Drive
•NVIDIAGeFrc GTX660M 512M GDDR5
•MAGIC MOUSE+MAGIC TRACKPAD-Z
•Apple WL Kybd+User's Guide-B
•COUNTRY KIT-B

You and I are in the same boat! Ordered February 7th, delivery due March 13- 26th. There appears to be no logic in the way that Apple are currently handling the shipments though unfortunately... :/

Ieziebie

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Just added mine as well....

Ordered on February 14th (well, actually december 31st but financing was a b*tch). Estimated shipping 20/3 - 4/4, which looks quite a lot more than some people here. But hey, been waiting for one month and a half, so what's 6 weeksn more right? :)

I ordered the 3.2 i5, 8GB, 680MX and 1TB FD.

TheSmash

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Ordered on Feb. 1st - changed to preparing for shipment some time in the last 12 hours. Due for delivery Feb. 25th to Mar. 4th.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
It will start when your Mac is shipped, it basically extends the standard warranty to 3 years. So your Applecare will end 3 years from the day it is shipped from Apple's manufacturing facility.

Ordered Feb 6th.

FYI, My card was charged today! YES!!!

However, I had to call and get it straightened out because my debit card, evidently, has a daily limit that was below the amount of the computer. While I was talking to them, I asked about the Apple Care. They told me the 3 years starts from the date of purchase (Feb 6th) not date of shipment.

They gave me the direct number for Apple Care so I will call them and make sure once they open.

Last edited:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

----------

You and I are in the same boat! Ordered February 7th, delivery due March 13- 26th. There appears to be no logic in the way that Apple are currently handling the shipments though unfortunately... :/

So wouldn't it be better to get Apple care a month before the 1 year limited warranty ends?

yUnoNinja

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
PDX
So wouldn't it be better to get Apple care a month before the 1 year limited warranty ends?

It doesn't matter when you purchase Apple Care, as long as you purchase it with in a year of your date of purchase. Basically you have 1 yr to buy the Apple Care to extend the warranty for 2 more years.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
It doesn't matter when you purchase Apple Care, as long as you purchase it with in a year of your date of purchase. Basically you have 1 yr to buy the Apple Care to extend the warranty for 2 more years.

Ah OK but say the iMac was order today 1/22/13 it means my warranty would end 1/22/16. Say I order apple care 1/20/14 and activated it then I would be OK u til 1/20/17 right?

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
Good news. I just spoke to Apple Care. The Apple Care rep said that they have to tie a serial number to the Apple Care, and they have no way of doing that until the iMac is ready to ship.

Apple Care's time period will only start once the computer ships and they attach it's unique serial number to Apple Care.

J. Rab

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Good news. I just spoke to Apple Care. The Apple Care rep said that they have to tie a serial number to the Apple Care, and they have no way of doing that until the iMac is ready to ship.

Apple Care's time period will only start once the computer ships and they attach it's unique serial number to Apple Care.

Thanks for that clarification :)

benjaminfoden

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Ah OK but say the iMac was order today 1/22/13 it means my warranty would end 1/22/16. Say I order apple care 1/20/14 and activated it then I would be OK u til 1/20/17 right?

No, that is not correct, if you ordered applecare on the 20th January 2014, your Applecare would expire on 20th January 2016 if your imac shipped on 20th January 2013. The Applecare is not a new warranty, it is a warranty extension of 2 years on top of the standard warranty.

In other words, it doesn't matter when you buy it, it will still expire on the same date.

Your applecare will not start until the machine ships, I speak from experience with having Apple care on my Air - it started on the day it was shipped which was some 7 days after ordering.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
One additional piece of information; I was told that they charge your card when your iMac is ready to go into the factory for production. Once your card clears, the factory is authorized to start building your machine.

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK
27" 3.4 i7, 32gb, 3TB Fusion, 680MX

Ordered on February 2nd, 2013

Delivery dates: March 1 - March 8

Delivering to London , England.

How long does it usually take to deliver after your status changes to preparing for shipment?

Hope you didn't purchase the 32gb of Ram through apple man? You would have saved yourself by sticking with the standard 8gb and then purchasing the additional through Crucial.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
London
Hope you didn't purchase the 32gb of Ram through apple man? You would have saved yourself by sticking with the standard 8gb and then purchasing the additional through Crucial.

No, my friend I got it from crucial. I just got an email saying that it has shipped along with my printer and SuperDrive.

It says delivery on or before the 28th feb !

AppleAviator

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
California
Hey everybody, latest addition to the February thread.

27" 3.4 i7, 8gb, 1TB Fusion, 680MX

Ordered on February 2nd, 2013

Delivery dates: Feb 28 - Mar 7

Card Charged: 2/20/13

Counting the days till it ships! (the wait is killing me btw...) ;)

STATUS UPDATE: Preparing for Shipment 2/22/13 :D

caryScript

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Pretty Excited

Ordered Feb. 5

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB RAM
3TB Serial ATA
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB

Have been checking daily (sometimes 2 or 3 times), and thanks to this thread, I finally checked my credit card. Posted yesterday!

But still has not updated on the website. So hopefully I'll be up and running by EOW next week. And be too busy to hang with my visiting in-laws.

Ipadilac

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2013
Minnesota
Well my card was charged today. Still says processing. So hopefully something happens soon. I am getting more excited.

I ordered on feb 7th

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Is anyone seeing an actual delivery day (delivered by Monday,etc) once they have a tracking number? Typically Fedex and UPS are accurate with this.

Is it earlier than the Apple Guesstimate in your original status?

The reason I'm asking are reports that shipping times are supposed to
improve in February. It's end of Feb is it not?

Last edited:

RebornTheGame

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Qld, Australia
Well... coming late to the party, because I have been saving to buy my first iMac. Ordered my iMac a few hours ago. It's currently listed with a 22/03/2013 - 03/04/2013 delivery date. I have been waiting for a year to make this order, so a bit more time won't be too agonizing... may be ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.