Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markthefart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am looking to get upgrade my 2006 black Core Duo MB HD and RAM (currently 1x2GB stick.. upgrading to 2x1GB sticks) to increase performance (as much as possible).. The HD currently installed is FUJITSU MHY2250BH (250 GB, 5200 RPM, 8 MB Cache)... I was interested in replacing that with WD VelociRaptor WD1500BLHX (150 GB, 10000 RPM, 32 MB Cache) or would like to hear what other options might be beneficial in this system to increase performance/speed. Would that WD drive be compatible or should I look at something else? Also, any suggestions for RAM configuration?? Is 2x1GB better than 1x2GB?

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The WD drive would work, but they don't make good mobile drives. If you want speed, get a SSD. Even on the older SATA I bus that Macbook has, you'll notice a difference that no hard drive can match.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A Samsung 840 would work very nicely. SATA is backwards compatible with all but the earliest SATA I chips. The G5's have some of those touchy chips that sometimes don't work with SATA III drives.

gobigorange

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
The WD drive would work, but they don't make good mobile drives. If you want speed, get a SSD. Even on the older SATA I bus that Macbook has, you'll notice a difference that no hard drive can match.

Actually, the Velociraptor drives are desktop only drives. They will not work in a laptop (despite the fact that they are 2.5" form factor). They are thicker than a normal laptop drive and have higher power requirements.

Personally, I'd go with the Samsung SSD as Intell suggested. Hope this helps:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.