Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I'm cleaning house right now - not just cleaning, but also getting rid of stuff in anticipation of a move sometime later in the year so I don't have a lot of stuff to take with me.

One dilemma I'm in right now is what to do with my collection of novels. I don't claim to be a literary connoisseur, but I do like what I read. At least 1/4 of them are Tom Clancy books (Hunt for Red October, Rainbow Six, etc.), with another 1/4 being Star Wars books, and the rest being works like 1984, Animal Farm, Catch-22, etc. along with English translations of foreign books.

Should I get them scanned and get rid of the physical books, or should I just hold onto them? I do like reading them every now and then, though...

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I would donate them to a library, youth center, retirement home, etc.

I don't know whether they would be of much use. All of my novels are in English, but the places here only carry Korean books. But then again, it's worth asking anyway. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There is a service that will scan them for you, a few bucks per copy. But honestly, you might find the digital versions for that same price, so I'd just either sell them to come up with the funds to buy the digitals, or donate them. Decide if you can like reading digital books first even, some people still don't.

I actually put all my books from middle school and high school into an point based auction few years ago on a website (well, all of them that didn't have 2,058,747 lines of notes all over them :eek:). Almost $30 to ship, but now I don't have them collecting any dust under my bed and in the closet.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I don't know whether they would be of much use. All of my novels are in English, but the places here only carry Korean books. But then again, it's worth asking anyway. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

if you're in Seoul there's going to be an english language bookstore there. English speaking tourists often find themselves searching for reading material in the middle of a trip. Find an english language travel guide book and the odds are it'll include the name of a book store that sells books in english. They'll take them off your hands.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
if you're in Seoul there's going to be an english language bookstore there. English speaking tourists often find themselves searching for reading material in the middle of a trip. Find an english language travel guide book and the odds are it'll include the name of a book store that sells books in english. They'll take them off your hands.

You're right. I completely forgot about one that primarily caters to the foreign community. Thanks!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

You might want to donate them to a school that teaches English. They could let the students read them in order to practice.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

You might want to donate them to a school that teaches English. They could let the students read them in order to practice.

These two posts would be among my suggested solutions, as well.

Other solutions would be to give them away to English speaking friends & colleagues; I've worked abroad for years at a time, and English speaking colleagues (and friends) were always delighted to receive boxes of English language reading material when I departed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.