Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scubagal

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Am buying my ipad mini tomorrow. Rumor is that if/when it does come out, the price will go up.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Yes, of course you can link to other sites. :)

Is this a thing that's being reported? I don't see a story about screens anywhere (yet).

Last edited:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This is not surprising though is it, I mean we knew this would come as soon as the mini was released, we assumed right off that the next mini would be retina. More of a surprising rumor would be more like, the mini will NOT be retina.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I for one, can't wait! Will be buying one on launch :D

Can't wait to dump this low res mini.

It's just not up to Apple standards, but hey, they made plenty of money Off of us. The display isn't bad, it's actually fine for what it is. But Apple ripped us off as compared to my $199 Nexus 7 with higher resolution.

I bet the new retina mini will really be pricey. It will be interesting to see what they charge. Not that it matters to me, when one decides to become a serious Apple enthusiast & frequent buyer you learn that it's not about value, but making Apple happy :)

Matt606

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
London
hopefully with the minimal cost increase speculated, apple will just keep the same prices. i cant remember the last time they actually raised the price of a new product, so why start now? after all they make a decent enough profit margin already

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
l really be pricey. It will be interesting to see what they charge. Not that it matters to me, when one decides to become a serious Apple enthusiast & frequent buyer you learn that it's not about value, but making Apple happy :)

Well, we can assume it won't be more than $499, that's most a 16GB Apple tablet has ever been priced, and that's the 4th gen (with a retina display, A6X, etc.)

FWIW, my value proposition isn't just price as it relates to specifications. There's construction, materials, app availability, stability, interoperability, support, service, sales experience, just to name a few additional things I believe contribute to the _total_ value picture. :)

Siq®

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I've read some analyst say the price is likely to go up arround 30% for the iPad Mini Retina.

Question: If the Mini Retina was released for $400 (16gb wifi) would you still buy it?

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Unless Apple uses Sharp's Igzo displays,I can't see how they could make a mini retina with the same weight and thinness of the current mini.

A retina display uses double the power and Apple would need a battery twice the size to maintain it's current 10 hour operation.

Who would buy a mini retina that weighs 500g and as thick as the ipad 4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.