Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Hello

I have a problem.

I am a multimedia project manager with the degree. I started to work a ta TV station because there was too much disorganization. Then I realized the General Manger who hired me was the one promoting the mess.

He then felt trheated by me because he felt I was taking his power away. I ended up in an editing room developing a new channel. Now, the new channel will be out late this year but there are so many things to do they are not taking care of.

I try to put on paper the plan of action for the next 6 months and they do not want that. The issue is that when the date approaches there are going to be so many things to be done that are going to fall on me.

Now, for the Project Managers... how do you do when you are incorporated in a system to make it better but then they do not want to be better?

Thank you.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Had to work for such clients quite a lot. It's a disaster - bad for you that you even have to work in such a place.

About your question: really no clue / sloution. If I would have, I think I would publish a book and probably get very rich. Those structures are quite resistent until they just fall apart at some point. I see it at Siemens or BMW for example.

One thing though: make sure you have said issues and potential problems you observed well documented publicly, so when the time comes, it's at least not you who is to blame.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello

I have a problem.

I am a multimedia project manager with the degree. I started to work a ta TV station because there was too much disorganization. Then I realized the General Manger who hired me was the one promoting the mess.

He then felt trheated by me because he felt I was taking his power away. I ended up in an editing room developing a new channel. Now, the new channel will be out late this year but there are so many things to do they are not taking care of.

I try to put on paper the plan of action for the next 6 months and they do not want that. The issue is that when the date approaches there are going to be so many things to be done that are going to fall on me.

Now, for the Project Managers... how do you do when you are incorporated in a system to make it better but then they do not want to be better?

Thank you.

Care to explain this a little more, this question is pretty confusing to read.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'm not sure what you're describing is limited to project managers. Seems like people in all kinds of positions feel like they have some ideas for improving an operation, but upper management (right or wrong) sticks to their own ideas moving forward. Don't take it personally.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Care to explain this a little more, this question is pretty confusing to read.

I mean, they hire you to improve the organization workflow, but then they do not want to improve.

Yes, I have taken notes of the problems and sent emails about it like: so, we are going to do this and this instead as you wanted?

I come with the plan, but then people take the plan apart putting their piece of ego into it. What happens is that my power is taken and my position is not as relevant any more and that goes against my initial salary, because for being project manager I charge as a manager actually, not as an operator. I end up as an "operator plus".

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I mean, they hire you to improve the organization workflow, but then they do not want to improve.

Yes, I have taken notes of the problems and sent emails about it like: so, we are going to do this and this instead as you wanted?

I come with the plan, but then people take the plan apart putting their piece of ego into it. What happens is that my power is taken and my position is not as relevant any more and that goes against my initial salary, because for being project manager I charge as a manager actually, not as an operator. I end up as an "operator plus".

Ah ok... yup happens all the time..... That is why I have learned to be some what of a strong willed ala prick to people in order to make sure I get what I need done on said project. It is a tough line especially if that is what you are brought in to do and then you are getting no support from upper management or executives.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Ah ok... yup happens all the time..... That is why I have learned to be some what of a strong willed ala prick to people in order to make sure I get what I need done on said project. It is a tough line especially if that is what you are brought in to do and then you are getting no support from upper management or executives.

The funny thing is that they still fighting against each other because they need to be organized.

For example, when you play soccer, people usually fallow the ball every where and leave their positions open and then the other team comes and make a goal. The thing is that as long everybody keep their position nothing happen.

That is what people in an organization have to do. To keep their positions and respect others people's position. The first thing is to DEFINE the positions and procedures. Well, where I work the General Manager does not defines anything so he can have always the power to decide and "resolve" the problems. Again, he lets the problems to happen to come with a Superman solution instead of prevent them. Is there where I am so frustrated.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

It is indeed a tightrope and as has been said, it happens everywhere. You can go with the flow and leave the company with goodwill and recommendations intact, sweeping the mess under the rug. Or you can be the hardliner, rolling the dice that you'll make a difference before your rivals with mgmt on their side manage to throw you under the bus. If you do accomplish the former before the latter occurs, you'll be a golden boy to mgmt and you'll have their tacit permission to be a prick in perpetuity because you get results.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Your confrontational strategy of suggesting things are done your way is clearly not working. See if you can change your approach to support their goals and bring them around to your way of thinking more slowly. Try to see your work from their point of view... are you doing anything that they would see as disruptive (ie. you're endangering their plans)?

Make yourself a stakeholder analysis. Which stakeholders have power over your project? Which are supportive? Which are unsupportive? For the unsupportive ones, what is the reason for their lack of support? Can you bring them 'round to your opinion, or can you neutralise their influence in some way? Look on all players through this pragmatic lens.

Be honest, open and transparent. Share your concerns with your sponsors, and ask them for feedback on you and your approach.

Read Covey. Think 'win win' and 'synergize'.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Here are a couple of thoughts that come to my mind:

First: you were hired to do a job. You need to determine who will eventually decide whether you were successful or not, and also what will be the criteria they will use as part of that decision. I'm presuming that the manager hired you to help him solve whatever problems he is facing. He is your sponsor and he should be supportive of your efforts. If for whatever reason he is not, you need to explore how to link his success to yours. It also seems that your manager likes to react (fight fires), rather than plan to prevent fires from occurring. Have a face-to-face chat with him. Is this really what he enjoys? Wouldn't his life be easier if he helped you plan and execute what needs to get done on time, rather than fighting the last minute fires? Wouldn't he then be recognized for running his organization in a smooth and effective manner?

Second: to succeed, particularly in a project management role, you need to be politically savvy. I would recommend you reading Joel DeLuca's book Political Savvy. You would most likely find his Organization Politics Map tool quite helpful in allowing you to map your stakeholder environment. Doing so, and then using this knowledge, will certainly improve your odds of success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.