|Feb 22, 2013, 11:32 PM||#1|
Off site backup 2 Macs
I have a Mac Mini which I use to host documents, pictures, and music to both my wife and I accessible via our MacBook Pro. Our MBP has separate accounts for each of us and the documents folder for each is linked to each of our Dropbox accounts. The MBP is backed up locally via Time Machine to an external HDD connected to my AirPort Extreme. The Mini however is not.
One night a week I bring home a 64gb USB thumb drive (which otherwise sits in my desk drawer at work for safe offsite backup) and copy the contents of the Mini's home folder and each our home folders on the MBP. This, so far has been working ok however, recently I've been looking into Carbonite on the Mini for several reasons...
1. Real time off site storage so I can easily get my most recent saved files and deleted files. No week old backups anymore.
2. Automated backups so I don't have to worry about forgetting to bring my USB drive home one week.
3. Unlimited space for backups so I don't have to buy another USB or external HDD.
4. Ability to access files like pictures and music from the Mini anywhere anytime on our iPads or iPhones.
5. Picture and video backups from our iPhones sand iPads since we both only have 5gb storage on Apples iCloud server.
My fears are that if I do Carbonite, it would only cover the Mini's HDD not my MBP. Yes we have DB but that's not a true backup solution. I have an idea but want some input on it. Can I set my MBP Time Machine to go to the Mini's HDD then have Carbonite back up that image file for me? Any other thoughts or input would also be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Is the Drobo 5N overkill for a Time Machine Backup for my Macs?||AndrewMRiv||Mac Peripherals||12||Jan 27, 2014 04:12 PM|
|HELP - so frustrating, one site won't work on my Macs????||silversealilies||Web Design and Development||13||Nov 22, 2013 03:06 PM|
|How do I buy Logic, put on backup drive and install on my two macs.||kristenanne77||Digital Audio||5||Mar 17, 2013 05:27 PM|
|Best way to backup macs to FreeNAS?||cjoy||Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking||4||Mar 8, 2013 10:05 AM|
|Backup Solutions - Old/Newer Macs, iPad and iPhone||Zothecula||Mac Peripherals||3||Oct 30, 2012 03:03 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.